ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13   Go Down

Author Topic: New Tubes Advice  (Read 115125 times)

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
Re: New Tubes Advice
« Reply #150 on: Time Format »

I would go for a 5751,AT and AY are not really suited for use in the mp-1 altough you won't damage anything.

El Chiguete

« Reply #151 on: Time Format »

I would go for a 5751...

Can you comment more on this tube and in when would you use it for?
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #152 on: Time Format »

Looks good (https://tubedepot.com/products/us-made-jan-philips-5751), not cheap though.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #153 on: Time Format »

I use these in my mp-2,since i only use it for clean sounds this is the ideal tube for it.It's actually a military version of the 12ax7 but with less gain (ยต=70) and less noise and microphonics.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #154 on: Time Format »

Given how much gain the MP2 has they would probably work well for the distorted sounds as well.  These days I'm even finding I want to back off the gain on the warm vintage sound I'm using.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #155 on: Time Format »

Well there's a difference in sound,and you hear that these tubes have  lower gain.

El Chiguete

« Reply #156 on: Time Format »

Yeha when I went to visit you you told me that you use your MP-2 for cleans only.

custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

trader144

« Reply #157 on: Time Format »

Results of testing a Mullard 12AT7 NOS from the 60's in a stock MP1, V2 position with a Groove Tube Mullard spec tube in V1:

The 12AT7 had lots of power and was pretty clean right up to about 8.5. Really great clean chimey Hifi sound; I have never heard the MP-1 so clean.
It did what I wanted - dialed back the distortion and allowed me to push V2 hard and maintain a standard clean sound, then dial in V1 for distortion when I wanted some.

What I didn't get:
The fat round 3HD Mullard sound that RNolan has gotten me addicted to. I couldn't compensate for the lack of it with the MP-1 EQ - it just wasn't there.
When I did push the tube into distortion, it wasn't the type of distortion I wanted; the distortion was fuzzy, not purposeful.

So, exactly what MarshallJMP said...but you never really understand what it means until you try.

David
Guitars: Malmsteen strat, Fender '62 reissue
Rig: Avid 11 Rack -> ADA MP-1 (stock) ->  ADA Microtube 100 -> ADA split stack

trader144

« Reply #158 on: Time Format »

A question for the experts:

It seems that OD2 should the MP-1's primary sound coloring and OD1 should be used to drive OD2 into more distortion by pushing more power into it.

Under this, if I wanted a fat mullard sound I should put the mullard in OD2 and get my primary sound by finding a max setting for OD2 and keeping OD1 at a minimum.

This would make OD1 less critical for sound color and more critical for adding the right type and amount of distortion.

In the past I have been using both OD1 and OD2 for sound color by keeping them under 4.6 each and I think the real problem was I did not have the right tube in OD2 t get the real color so I had to back off of both to avoid bad sound.

Any thoughts?

Other questions:
1. how does the input pot affect OD1 and OD2? I noticed that some of the pictures on this site have it turned up all the way.

2. Does the master volume affect OD1 or OD2?

David

trader144

« Reply #159 on: Time Format »

On the groove tube mullard spec I tested:
I would put it at about 75% of the HD and color of a Mullard Reissue. Still a really good tube especially if you don't want the HD clarity of a mullard.

« Last Edit: Time Format by trader144 »

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #160 on: Time Format »

Other questions:
1. how does the input pot affect OD1 and OD2? I noticed that some of the pictures on this site have it turned up all the way.

2. Does the master volume affect OD1 or OD2?

David

The input pot sets a range on the OD1 setting.So for example,if you set the pot half way you have a range from 25% to 75%,all the way down it's between 0 and 50%,and all the way up from 50 to 100%.Now don't take these numbers too serious,just trying to explain what this pot does.

No the master vol doesn't affect OD1 or OD2.But some people say it does affect the tone of the mp-1.
« Last Edit: Time Format by MarshallJMP »

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #161 on: Time Format »

From my reading of the MP1 signal path/gain structure (thanks to MJMP :thumb-up: ) but also combined with some of Els experiments (e.g. OD2=0), you set your main tone and distortion/clip through V1. This is driven/effected by guit PUs, input pot and trim pot (coloured/shaped (2D, 3D etc) by tube), this then feeds the V2 circuit (where you can do as Little as possible e.g. OD2=0) or add more gain.  You've been on a path of keep OD2 circuit clean hence turn gain down with a lower gain tube, you can also lower the gain of 12AX7 by turning down OD2 BTW, and if Mullard long plate, keep the 3D..
All the different combinations and OD1/2/Voice settings will make a difference. One of the slight downsides to these sort of gadgets, is they are so adjustable, when do you say- stop- that's the tone I want  :facepalm:

El Chiguete

« Reply #162 on: Time Format »

I look at it like the OD2 is how much possible gain you can get (much like if you set it low you have a low gain amp and if you set it high you have a high gain amp) thats why you can go dow to OD2=0.0 and then OD1 is how much you can boost/overdrive the amp (like when you have a booster/overdrive pedal in front of a clean amp).

custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

trader144

« Reply #163 on: Time Format »

Thanks Marshalljmp turning up the input pot makes a big difference to the sound I get from the tubes. I kept it at half way for leveling but more.

Rnolan. I thought that V1 was the input overdrive that pushes more power into V2. So to me it makes logical sense to reverse what you said. V1 and V2 have different types of distortion.  If I look at the tube in V1 as a pedal between guitar and preamp and V2 as the actual preamp tube, my V1 (pedal type distortion) should be less about color as V2 (tube preamp type distortion) because V1's job is to drive V2.

In a 4 valve amp, when you crank the distortion, are you cranking all tubes or just the input tubes?

I could be wrong and interested in everyone's thoughts.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #164 on: Time Format »

Hey David,  in a traditional guitar amp (which is combination of preamp poweramp) you can chase distortion in either. With ADA MP1/2 you want a clean transparent power amp. In an amp with 5 tubes (e.g. my Marshall '72 50w), so 2 x preamp tubes (12AX7s) 1 x phase splitter (12A??) 2 x EL34 output tubes, as per posted elsewhere here phase splitter makes the difference to output tube distortion (not my game BTW).
In the end, you need to change the the V1 and V2 settings to what "you" like (I run my power amps clean and tranpaent, and get all the tone I want from MP2 + FX through mixer). My personal experience is M long plates in both V1 and V2 (works for me).
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13   Go Up