ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ADA MP-1 with G Major and GSP 1101 - How to hook it up?!?  (Read 6980 times)

dweiskopf

I got a tc electronic g major partly to be a back up with the ada mp 1 if my GSP1101 goes out, but also to try different options.  Here's my problem: I had the ada in the loop of the gsp and worked well with switching the external / internal amp as needed.  Then I added the tc g major, with gsp loop send to line in on ada and ada outputs (L and R to keep stereo) to g maj inputs, then g major outs (L and R) to return of gsp - line outs (1/4'') of GSP to power amp (VHT 2/50/2).  Now, all I get is the clean direct signal from the gsp.   No ada or g major sounds, even though signal goes at least through g major (b/c the tuner on the g major picks up signal).  Ideas??? Completely lost why adding g major is messing everything up with the ADA!  Thanks for your help!!!!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Well the new kid on the block is the TC, seems the signal isn't going through it for some reason as the MP1 was working in the gsps loop.  Maybe try the TC in the gsp loop on it's own, if you can get that to work then bring the MP1 back into the loop.  A more traditional set up with a TC is to go MP1 > TC > stereo poweramp (wet/dry mix done on the TC), you could also try this set up to test out the TC.  If the TC is working properly, then it may be an issues with the gsp (e.g. gsp loop not selected for the patch ??) although that would seem strange given you had the MP1 working fine before.  Maybe it's as simple as turning the TCs master volume up (which BTW you can control with a Midi continuous control pedal)
No ada or g major sounds, even though signal goes at least through g major (b/c the tuner on the g major picks up signal).
Again makes me think it's the TCs master volume or maybe it's got tuner mute turned on (does turning on the TCs tuner mute the output ?  would make sense if it does)
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

dweiskopf

Thanks.  Really appreciate the input.  I will give this a try, but in must say I am really baffled. Through headphones, the tc major works with effects (not just tuner).  The ada  sems completely bypassed.  Same when going into a power amp.  Coming at this a different way, what is the best way to art up gsp1101, ada and tc g major?  I like the gsp as my primary, with the ada as a per patch alternate, and would be nice to have g major at certain times too (maybe with ada on full or clean).  Really appreciate any input.  Finally, any opinions if people like using a separate compressor and /or EQ with this set up (and which one and settings) to get the strings / notes to be more articulate but still with gain to keep the harmonics (e.g. first two Winger albums, first Skid Row album?  I know about the Michael Wagner post, but live (not studio), those settings don't seem to cut it.....Thanks!!!

rickeb1

At the risk of stating the obvious, are you sure that the setup setting on the GSP was not inadvertently changed?  I ran into something similar once and discovered that the GSP was set to mode 4, "GSP -> Power Amp", rather than mode 6, which would enable the loop for the external preamp.  Maybe just something to validate, as it sounds like you have everything else connected correctly.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

No worries, happy to help  :thumb-up:
Seems to me it should work (and rickeb1 may be on the money, definitely worth checking).  How best to set it up depends on what you want with what on any given patch.  With MP1 in the GSPs loop, the MP1 is getting its input and output GSPed.  Are there effects you use in the GSP while using the MP1 as a per patch alternate, and what does the GSP do to the sound before it goes into the MP1 ?  Also if you want TC effects on both the GSP and MP1 you could put the TC after the GSP before the power amp (and use a real time continuous control midi pedal to control the TCs master volume).

A slightly more complicated solution which gives allot of flexibility (of what and how much of what you want) is to use a small mixer (bit of a hassle with a stage rig but I've used a small 8 channel mixer for years, velcroed to the bottom of my rack).  For your set up, a mixer with 6 line inputs (or 4 with a stereo effects return) and 2 aux (effects) sends.  Then split the guitar input signal so both the GSP and the MP1 get their input straight from the guitar (I'd proffer the MP1 will sound better this way), GSP ch1/2 MP1 ch 3/4 TC in from aux 1/2 TC out to ch 5/6 or eff retrn L/R.  You can then adjust what level you want for each and send both the MP1 and GSP to TC.  If you want to have just the MP1 or GSP make a midi patch that picks a "blank (no volume)" program in the one you don't want to hear.

I use a (old now) Yamaha AM802 mixer, works great for this kind of rig. 8 mic/line ins, 3 pre fader aux (effects) sends, 2 stereo effects returns. I find it's so much easier to set it up this way and get your gain structure right, but does take a little space...

On the compressor/EQ front, compressors have their place, I'm not a big fan of using them on guitar as the flatten the dynamics and take away tops (ss and tts in vocals) and the ones that take away less are very expensive, also, if you drive a valve hard so it's distorting/clipping (which is what we ADAers do  >:D ) it's already compressing big time.  The high gain circuits in the ADA have a midrange eq boost as part of the voice (good description in the manual), some ADAers like to use an EQ as well, very much up to your taste.  Personally I've alway had plenty of EQ in the MP1 and now MP2 (and while the MP2 also has a 7 band graphic built in as well as the standard tone controls), I don't use it much.  RanallRG (Steve) likes his MXR 6 band ? There are a few posts from other dudes who like EQ, some discussion on a nice old peavy EQ for example...

Pickup choice has a big impact on note articulation (as does how you play).  E.g. EMGs (active) are favored by some very high gain players as they give good articulation and also work well with dropped tunings.  However, if you try the MP1 as your primary (i.e. plug straight into it) > TC (wet dry mix in TC) > poweramp, crank it up, you may find that part of the articulation problem at high gain is with the GSPs distortion circuit ?

dweiskopf

Thanks so much for all your help.  It seems to have something to do with the input /output on the G Major.  It cuts the gain to nearly clean.....does the ADA need to hit a DI box before going to the G Major?

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

(does the ADA need to hit a DI box before going to the G Major?) no.
ADA outs A/B are line level and that's what the G major likes.  Early model MP1s have a slide switch (middle of top cover) which switches the MP1 outputs from line level to instrument level, worth checking but the G Maj should cope with either.
(It cuts the gain to nearly clean) do you mean:
1. distorted MP1 sounds come out clean after G Maj ? i.e. the G Maj takes the distortion away or
2. does it just lower the volume/level (so sound is the same just softer ?).

If 1. above - sounds like a problem in the G Maj (test - Guit > MP1 > G Maj > Poweramp OR Guit > GSP > G Maj Poweramp), a very "out there" possibility is there is a phase miss-match in one of your patch leads (one end of "a" patch lead has the +ve and -ve reversed) causing all the bottom end to "phase cancel" out, this is unlikely but possible (given your symptoms...)
if 2. above - sounds like gain miss-match or dodgy connection (do you get plenty of signal in the G Maj level meters when you turn up the G Majs input ? check MP1 slide switch (if you have that model), adjust the input until you get just peaking (red) on your loudest sound/patch), then turn up the output such that the G Maj doesn't make the overall volume more or less).
Given it all worked fine before the G Maj, I suspect there's something wrong with it (or it may be a simple as bad patch lead(s)) as your symptoms could also be just bad connection(s).
Pages: [1]   Go Up