Non ADA Gear > Rack Gear

Gallien Krueger

(1/4) > >>

rabidgerry:
Well, I've mentioned Gallien Krueger a few times at the depot, and once I came real close to bagging one of their late 80's guitar units.  Well finally I have.

I bagged a 2000cpl.  This is the preamp version of the SEL which Iron Maiden famously used on the Seventh Son of a Seventh Son tour.  It's capable of nailing the tones from the Somewhere In Time Seventh Son era.  I've been chasing one a long time and I finally nailed a mint condition example.

Fingers crossed it is everything I hoped for.  I shall get testing in a day or so, so watch this space.

rnolan:
Hey RG, I'm more familiar with their bass units, fantastic bits of kit, I'm sure it will be awesome  :thumb-up: .

McLeanAB:
Any more updates?

I loved mine while I had it... I've got a couple of Rockman units now (the X100 and Ultralight) and it's VERY similar... I think the 2000cpl has more gain on tap, especially with the internal trim pots... the Rockman has that as well, just not as much.

Any sound clips?

rabidgerry:
It's sitting in a box beside me in work.  I take it home tonight.

I'm not clear as to how to run the CPL.  I know rockman gear is designed to be run through flat response speakers (monitors or PA), as it has been designed in such a way that speaker sound has been built in.  However I think the GK stuff needs a proper cab or speaker simulation of some kind.  I shall try it this way first.  No idea what the GK cabs Maiden used are like, I assume they are not flat response.

McLeanAB any info on how to run this?  Am I thinking right?  Just the traditional poweramp and cab?  Or if DI in use a speaker sim (I use a pedal loaded with impulses)?

I shall be testing it tonight.  I shall make some recordings and post up when I'm done.

The guy who sold it to me said it has only ever been used in his studio so it's pretty clean looking.  He used it through 

"I primarily used it as a preamp in my recording studio with a Palmer speaker simulator. However, it has been put through a Boogie 295 valve power amp, but only a few times. It’s never been removed from the studio and gigged."

So hopefully get something recorded later on.

McLeanAB:
Hey man!

When I had my 2000cpl, I ran direct.  ESPECIALLY for the cleans... straight to the board, through studio monitors.  To my ears, even the hi-gain dirty sounds were still pretty damn good... just turn down the treble a bit.  BUT, I do remember running it through the ADA Microcab and getting a great sound through the monitors as well.

I did run it through a traditional poweramp and cab too... it all sounded good... if you don't have a cab sim and are dying to run it through monitors, the ADA GCS cab sim is a great box, you could probably find a Microcab for cheap on ebay, or if you don't mind dealing with computers, run some IR's through a program (I personally hate this, as I like to play guitar WITHOUT a damn computer).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version