ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Quest for the MB-1  (Read 12350 times)

BrokeDownSouth

Quest for the MB-1
« on: Time Format »

Ok, so a few weeks ago I woke up one morning with a strong desire for an MB-1.  Since then I've been on the hunt to get one at a fair price.  One is currently on eBay for $275 shipped, which is top-dolloar IMHO.  I may let it go to see if it gets reposted at a more reasonable price. 

I've already got a new 6U Rack case and some cables to wire it up to the poweramp.  I just picked up an MC-1 foot controller for $58 shipped.  I assume that it was compatible.

The manual recommends using 16 awg speaker cable to connect the preamp outs to the power amp.  I though you'd use shielded instrument cable,  but I got 16 awg shielded speaker 'cause that's what the manual said.

That's my story so far.  I'm super stoked on ADA for whatever reason right now.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Quest for the MB-1
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Hey Mate, I would have thought $275 USD shipped was an ok price (Pete what do you recon ?) as long as it's in good condition.  The MC-1 is compatible, it's the pedal the units shipped with I'm pretty sure.  You can then use a 7 pin MIDI lead (hopefully that's included with your MC-1) and you plug the power adapter into the "phantom" power input on the back of the MB1 and the additional 2 pins in the MIDI lead power the MC-1, nice and tidy, no power adapters at your feet  :thumb-up: .
I agree about the 16 awg cables, seems a bit overkill for line level signals and, as you say, you'd usually use good quality shielded inst cable.  As long as the cables are shielded the additional thickness will probably improve the bass response a bit although this starts to get into a hotly debated topic (cables) in the audiophile world.  Thicker cables can carry more current.  The physics is interesting as transmission down a cable is largely an edge phenomenon (or so they say) so more edge area better transmission.  Bass however tends to go down the centre (thus some speaker cables have a solid copper core to improve bass response).  A guy I know spent $6,000 AUD to get 2 x 1 meter (~3 feet) RCA <> RCA cables made in the UK for his hi fi.  Then, to a large degree it get subjective, some say they can here the difference.  Back to an earlier question, what cabs are you going to use ?  Are you going to be able to run the MB1 in stereo ? as that WILL make a difference (that I'm sure you'll like).
Anyway, it seems like the majority of us here, you've got the ADA bug  ;)
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Peter H. Boer

• 2* MB-1 1*MP-1 + Jur's old Mod4Mk2
    • The Granny Attic
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Ok, so a few weeks ago I woke up one morning with a strong desire for an MB-1.  Since then I've been on the hunt to get one at a fair price.  One is currently on eBay for $275 shipped, which is top-dolloar IMHO.  I may let it go to see if it gets reposted at a more reasonable price. 

I've already got a new 6U Rack case and some cables to wire it up to the poweramp.  I just picked up an MC-1 foot controller for $58 shipped.  I assume that it was compatible.

The manual recommends using 16 awg speaker cable to connect the preamp outs to the power amp.  I though you'd use shielded instrument cable,  but I got 16 awg shielded speaker 'cause that's what the manual said.

That's my story so far.  I'm super stoked on ADA for whatever reason right now.

USD 275,- is a fair price for an MB-1 (it is after all 2 pre-amps in 1), when it is in decent condition.

I'd grab it (but I already have 2 so no need)

Peter :thumb-up:
Nothing beats MB-1s and MP-1s with MDRTs

http://www.thegrannyattic.com
http://www.Illumion.net
http://www.sote.nl

BrokeDownSouth

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

As for the price, I'm speaking in US context - I know things can get more expensive for you guys overseas.   Looking at eBay auctions over the last 3 or 4 months not one has sold for over $200, avg ~$150.

I'm going to have to get a midi cable.

I'm looking at a crown xls1000 to power it.  As for cabs, I use a Bag End D10bx-d  and a euphonic audio vl-210.  Yes, I'm going to play stereo,  EA on the highs and bag end for the lows.

kawai2g4b

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Yeah, I got mine for around $160 myself, though it has its issues.  I was lucky enough to find a ADA B500B Bi-Amp power amp for it and they match up very well.  If you haven't checked Music Go Round's website, do so.  Every once in a while they will have a good price for some older working rack gear...I got my MP-1 in store from one for $150.
Pearce G2R with ADA TFX4 in loop.
ADA MB-1/B500B
And other non ADA stuff.

Kawai AQ-500 guitar, Korean Fender Lite Ash Strat, Electra X930 MPC modded, G&L L2K basses, Peavey T40, Fernandes basses.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

you don't need 16 AWG (that's about 1.5mm²),waaaaay to thick.Just use regular guitar cable or some good patch cables.

BrokeDownSouth

« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

you don't need 16 AWG (that's about 1.5mm²),waaaaay to thick.Just use regular guitar cable or some good patch cables.

Already got 2 right angle 1.5 foot shielded 16 awg cables. 16 gauge isn't too bad.  The manual recommends 12 to 16 gauge speaker cable so I just went with that. NBD.

BrokeDownSouth

« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Yeah, I got mine for around $160 myself, though it has its issues.  I was lucky enough to find a ADA B500B Bi-Amp power amp for it and they match up very well.  If you haven't checked Music Go Round's website, do so.  Every once in a while they will have a good price for some older working rack gear...I got my MP-1 in store from one for $150.

I found an mb1 and b500b set on gbase.com.  called about it and they were asking $750, non negotiable. I may just go for the one on eBay.  Saving $100 ain't really worth waiting another month to me.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Already got 2 right angle 1.5 foot shielded 16 awg cables. 16 gauge isn't too bad.  The manual recommends 12 to 16 gauge speaker cable so I just went with that. NBD.
Just had a read of the manual, the manual advises 12 to 16 gauge speaker cable for the amp to speaker connections, not for the input.  Normal good quality patch leads are fine for MB1 outs to power amp ins.  For speaker cables I usually use 20 amp power cable and they don't need to be shielded.

BrokeDownSouth

« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Just had a read of the manual, the manual advises 12 to 16 gauge speaker cable for the amp to speaker connections, not for the input.  Normal good quality patch leads are fine for MB1 outs to power amp ins.  For speaker cables I usually use 20 amp power cable and they don't need to be shielded.
You're right, I misread that part.  Yeah, I know power amp to speaker cable doesn't need to be shielded b/c there no signal gain after that point.

BrokeDownSouth

« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

UPDATE:

Just won the auction for an MB-1 last night.  Waiting for it to be shipped.  I received a Crown XLS1000 power amp that I purchased on eBay yesterday and started experimenting with it.  I'll post some demos as soon as I can.  :metal:

kawai2g4b

« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Score! You are going to have a blast with it!
Pearce G2R with ADA TFX4 in loop.
ADA MB-1/B500B
And other non ADA stuff.

Kawai AQ-500 guitar, Korean Fender Lite Ash Strat, Electra X930 MPC modded, G&L L2K basses, Peavey T40, Fernandes basses.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

UPDATE:

Just won the auction for an MB-1 last night.  Waiting for it to be shipped.  I received a Crown XLS1000 power amp that I purchased on eBay yesterday and started experimenting with it.  I'll post some demos as soon as I can.  :metal:

Great :thumb-up:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

Cool, what did it go for in the end ??

BrokeDownSouth

« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

Cool, what did it go for in the end ??

$200 + $15 shipping.  I was the only bidder.  It probabbly would've gone down in price again if I'd waited but I was out of patience.  Not bad, It looks minty and allegedly has no issues. ???
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up