ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Marshall amplifier Question  (Read 15351 times)

Rusty

Marshall amplifier Question
« on: Time Format »

Hey fellow ADA'ers, I have a genuine question to ask you's?

What should I do?

I have a Marshall 9100 50/50 that I never use. I know that it's a very good amplifier and I don't know what to do with it.
I have the Marshall 80/80 valvestate in my rack.

Do any of you's think that I should sell the 9100 or should I keep it?

Would it sound better in my set-up as its all valve?

Any thoughts please as I'm not tuned in here?  :)

(edit) I aready sold the 20/20 in the photograph as it was too hot to rack mount underneath any of my other units. In fact, I toasted a brand new G major 2 with it racked 1 for 1 and that lesson cost me dearly.  :-[

But back to the point, should I keep the 9100?,   I don't know what to do with it? Would it sound better than the valvestate 80/80. ?

« Last Edit: Time Format by Rusty »

DorsetRatt

Re: Marshall amplifier Question
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Hey Rusty,

I used to have the 9100 ...

do I regret selling it? ... yes.

why did I sell it? ... a moment of madness cos I didn't like the gold colour.

would I own another one? ... yes, as long as I didn't have to carry it on a daily basis.

does it sound better than the valvestate? ... just my opinion, very much better.
Preamps: MP-1, MP-1 Classic, MP-2, Soldano SP-77, Piranha
Guitars: Sutch Siran Headless, Palm Bay Tidalwave, ESP M-1, Gibson Flying V

Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict

El Chiguete

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Once I heard that the 9100 tend to brake down a lot, is this true?
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

While the dual mono block 9100 is a beast in size and weight, it is also a beast when it comes to tone! :bow:
If you like that Marshall power amp tube coloration you wont find it in the vavlestate. I would run the 9100, even if it meant busting my ass lugging it around!!

Not nearly as much as a Mesa 2:90 :lol:
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Rusty try them out and see what you think?  I use solid state with mine pres and no one has ever said it sounded shit.

The valve heads are gonna jump on any minute now and say hand onto the 9100 but in all honesty mate, it's down to your ears and then practicality, or if it comes to it perhaps practicality.  Are you planning on gigging either and traveling far with them?

If so I'd hang onto the 9100 unless you need the cash or its just taking up room.  Probably flog it for a good bit I imagine as well.

Mate whats that 80/80 like its the 8008 right?  I heard it has a circuit in there to add some "valve" colouration?  You tried any pre through that option?  it's got a linear mode / vstate mode selector on the back.
« Last Edit: Time Format by rabidgerry »
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

El Chiguete

« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Isn't the 80/80 a combo amp or are you talking about the 8008?
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

I think it's the 8008, I mentioned that above also  :)
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Hey fellow ADA'ers, I have a genuine question to ask you's?
What should I do?
I have a Marshall 9100 50/50 that I never use. I know that it's a very good amplifier and I don't know what to do with it.
Do any of you's think that I should sell the 9100 or should I keep it?
Would it sound better in my set-up as its all valve?
Any thoughts please as I'm not tuned in here?  :)
(edit) I aready sold the 20/20 in the photograph as it was too hot to rack mount underneath any of my other units. In fact, I toasted a brand new G major 2 with it racked 1 for 1 and that lesson cost me dearly.  :-[
But back to the point, should I keep the 9100?,   I don't know what to do with it? Would it sound better than the valvestate 80/80. ?
Simple answer (and go RG here comes one tube head LoL), yes it will sound better than the valvestate 80/80 and probably sound louder (less watts, but tube watts  >:D are they different f%^k yeah (shouldn't be but just are!!)). As RG says it comes down to practicality, if you don't "need" to part with it then don't (but then I don't typically sell things..). I suspect the 50/50 all tube will sound better than the valvestate, but hey try it and see, your ears will tell you  :thumb-up:
Each to their own re selling things, my strong tendency is to NOT, I sold one guitar in 43 years, totally regret it.. but hey, that me...
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

I never liked the sound of the 9100 50/50 and 9200 100/100 power amps.But the 20/20 is one kickass poweramp.It sounds waaaaaaay different from the monoblocks.

DorsetRatt

« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Hey El,

I can only comment on the one I owned really ... had it for a couple of years, and it doubled up as a home/practice rig as well, so it was in use 3 hours a day (but at much lower volume). Come to think of it, I (unwisely) disconnected the internal fan to cut out the background noise so it must have been running much hotter than normal ... but it never gave me any problems.

Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict

DorsetRatt

« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

I never liked the sound of the 9100 50/50 and 9200 100/100 power amps.But the 20/20 is one kickass poweramp.It sounds waaaaaaay different from the monoblocks.

Hey MJMP ... I'm curious, is it the EL84 sound of the Marshall 20/20 that appeals to you?

When I sold my 9100 I replaced it with a Boogie 20/20 (running EL84s). But for me I've been struggling with the Boogie (and yet to work out why?), hence my regret at selling the 9100.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Well the sound but also the circuit design is different from the mono blocks.It just sounds and feels different and okay an EL84 will sound a bit different from an EL34 but there's more to it,can't explain why.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

Hey Rusty, from reading all these posts, sell it and buy a (new) Carvin TS100 (either the EL34 or 6L6, won't matter much) and bliss out IMHO. And they smell so nice when they're new  :whoohoo!: kind of the new car smell, but new amp instead, lasts quite a while I found.

DorsetRatt

« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

hahaha ... so a vote for wrong colour, and another vote for not being smelly enough :facepalm:
« Last Edit: Time Format by DorsetRatt »

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

Well the smell was just a bonus  :thumb-up: The TS100 is a great amp with MP1/2 if you want a tube amp that's not as heavy to lug as earlier amps, it's still a brick though...(3 x transformers)  but great transparent sound.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up