ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Props to Zilthy  (Read 9766 times)

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
Props to Zilthy
« on: Time Format »

On the old Depot, there was a member who used to post pictures of her pink iPhone and tell us all that "this is my backup rig" Well, y'know what? I now find myself doing the same thing. Thank you Zilthy, for shining a little light my way.  :bow:

I have been practicing with my iPod touch, playing along with songs in iTunes, with my iRig and it is an iFantastic sounding rig. I just need a footswitch & I'd have a great practice rig and BACKUP rig, should anything catastrophic occur. Let's face it, my MP2 is an old soul and he's been through a LOT. It could go at any time and I'd be SOL (sh*t outta luck) at a gig.

As for footswitches that work with the iPod, here are a couple of options here. I could get an iMidi, which allows me to use my existing midi footswitch. That's cool, but I wouldn't be able to use my Wah pedal - that's an iDeal breaker. So, there is also a bluetooth footswitch that is wireless, and would allow me to plug two CC pedals of my choice into it. It's battery powered, and small. Now, that's iDeal. I'll probably go that route and carry the footswitch in case of emergencies.

Thanks again, Sasha. Hope you're doing well

finstah

• Jurrie Rocks
Re: Props to Zilthy
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

On the old Depot, there was a member who used to post pictures of her pink iPhone and tell us all that "this is my backup rig" Well, y'know what? I now find myself doing the same thing. Thank you Zilthy, for shining a little light my way.  :bow:

I have been practicing with my iPod touch, playing along with songs in iTunes, with my iRig and it is an iFantastic sounding rig. I just need a footswitch & I'd have a great practice rig and BACKUP rig, should anything catastrophic occur. Let's face it, my MP2 is an old soul and he's been through a LOT. It could go at any time and I'd be SOL (sh*t outta luck) at a gig.

As for footswitches that work with the iPod, here are a couple of options here. I could get an iMidi, which allows me to use my existing midi footswitch. That's cool, but I wouldn't be able to use my Wah pedal - that's an iDeal breaker. So, there is also a bluetooth footswitch that is wireless, and would allow me to plug two CC pedals of my choice into it. It's battery powered, and small. Now, that's iDeal. I'll probably go that route and carry the footswitch in case of emergencies.

Thanks again, Sasha. Hope you're doing well

Hey dude, let me know how it goes. I got out my old analog pedals for my son and well, seems they go thru batteries and don't always work (need to look inside them and check solder connections, but ain't nobody got time for that!).

I was looking into getting him an iRig for his iPad mini. Do you just have the  basic one? I don't need all the extra recording and such components. Just something for him to plug in and jam.

Oh damn! I just remembered Zilthy = Sasha. Man, that brought back some memories. lol

GuitarBuilder

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

There's a phenomenal amount of good information on playing guitar with iOS devices, both in the studio as well as live on the VGuitar Forum:

http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=132.0

The forum owner - Elantric - performs live with an iPad!
ADA and Rockman Heads
Marshall amps
Strats and Les Pauls

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Stah - I bought the 19.99 version and they emailed me with an upgrade deal, so I have the little drum machine and recorder too. I could do just fine with basic version - that's all I was using last night, it works great. I'm thinking about an iPad now, but the iPod fits in my pocket...

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Hey Dante, I know what you mean about MP2, so now I have 3 of them (nearly 4 except for Joe Perry's rip off...). My main live MP2 has never missed a beat but it is getting old, it was one of the first batch of MP2s in Australia.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Well, I did a bit of research - Thanks to the forum that GuitarBuilder pointed me to - and I can use my existing footswitch and my existing wah. I'm going to be picking up an iMidi, probably the original version (which is cheaper and smaller). I am still on the fence about iPad vs. iPod. I can get an iPad mini for a couple hundred bucks...which would be about 3x the size of the iPod & which would be a good setlist holder when I don't need it for a rig.

I'll keep y'all posted on my progress as I build this iOS rig, probably in a new thread

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Time to start that thread, I picked up an iPad mini today....2nd generation, for two gig's pay

Zilthy

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Thank you Dante.

I considered setting up a foot pedal for my iPod/iPhone myself, but found out that I don't really need it too much.  Setup patches and screen well, mount device to stand, and can just tap if needed.  Not optimal, but for a backup that fits in my purse, hard to go wrong. :D

I do need to make a vid someday, using my iPhone as a preamp, and car stereo (with it's Fender speakers) as a power amp.  It actually sounds super good.  I guess it sort of beats the purpose though, saving all the space using a phone as a pre-amp, but taking a car for a power amp, but it's really fun!

Zilthy

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

BTW, there are other fun things you can do with your phone as your amp....

Jammit
Amazing Slow Downer

Those are two of my favorite apps for playing, jamming and having fun.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Okay, I resurrecting this ol' thread because I just picked up an iRig Midi. I can use my MXC (or any Midi pedal) to change patches in the iPod or iPad. I decided I'll use my iPod for a backup rig and use my iPad for my setlist & headphone mix. Using the older iRig Midi and iPod allows for the iPod to be charged while I use it - none of the newer models allow this. The ipod fits on my pedal board, so I can literally show up without an amp!!

I don't plan on using it as my main rig, but I will use it for rehearsals and for a backup, should anything catastrophic occur. I love it, I have a backup rig that fits in the palm of my hand. I have the cheap-o crappy original iRig, but I'm in the market for an iRig HD.
« Last Edit: Time Format by Dante »

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Hey Dante, what, no tubes LoL, your going to the dark side (literally  :lol: :nono: ) tubes are the light.... well they are what they are and clones are clones and MP3 files, well they have their place/uses.  Hey all power to you, if you can get a decent sound you can work with (and in the end, my view is it mostly comes from you through your fingers anyway), why not. And so much less to lug.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

I don't plan on using it as my main rig, but I will use it for rehearsals and for a backup, should anything catastrophic occur. I love it, I have a backup rig that fits in the palm of my hand.

The magic is in the fingers

Zilthy

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

1) I think Dante, and the others in this thread, speak of using smartphones/ipods as backup devices.  That makes sense, something that works, is small and lightweight, as opposed to hauling around pre-amp, power amp and effects.  And much more cost effective.

2) I fully agree with Dante, the magic comes from the fingers.  Not the amp.  Years ago, a fellow guitarist I knew, made a statement "All amps are crap.  Just make the best of the amp."  I am not a great guitarist by any means, only average at best, but I have almost always had other guitarists come up and ask about what I was running for tone.  Whether pure tube head, tube rack gear, or modeled.

3) You can get a great sound, but the one thing you won't get is the same feel.  To me, that is the hardest adjustment.  When it comes to modeling, I can get the sound I want, laying back, dialing back, sure it's a bit different, but that is easy to adjust to.  The harder part to get used to is the different feel.  Nothing feels like playing in front of a cranked stack like playing in front of a cranked stack.  But then again, playing my V-Drums feels nothing like playing real drums.  Sure, I have mesh heads and such, and the physical part of hitting with the stick and kick pedal feels close, what throws me off more is the acoustic feedback you actually feel, is very different.  That is what is the hardest to get used to.  And personally, I think getting used to playing against that, is the bigger difference in tone.  You just have to adjust.

[EDIT] FWIW, I do not play regular gigs any more, I only sit in or fill in at times, and I have little to no control over what my stage sound source is these days.  That has left me with going completely with modeling and in ear monitoring, and I am used to that.  I do miss being able to sustain with feedback, I might look in to something for that, but now that I am used to it, not a big deal.  It took some adjustment though. :)
« Last Edit: Time Format by Zilthy »

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

Hey Zilthy, (re pt 3) very edifying and I totally agree, you can adjust, I played a medium ? line 6 a while ago and it's blues/rock setting was usable (noting the guitar took 20 mins to get ~~close to in tune ($50 special)), but even though the top E kept getting caught on/under the frets (coz they protruded from the edge), it was usable and I made it work (with a little bending).  Though I do love cranking my MP2 rig loud and live  >:D , my preferred setup but hey not always suitable.  BTW I don't use any phone apps, but your post (and Dante's) has me slightly interested  :wave: .

El Chiguete

« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

Actually this is an idea I would try out someday to be abble to go in to band practices where you get together to set set up songs and not for actual gig volume tone tests.
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up