• Welcome to ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear.

Just got my MP-1, entering the world of rack guitar gear.

Started by DesolationBlvd, May 18, 2021, 03:46:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DesolationBlvd

Having completed my synth setup, I'm now going back towards the guitar world. But I needed two things: silent recording and preset storage. The A/DA MP-1 was at the top of my list, and after missing out on one deal and then having another deal fall through, I made an offer on one in a lot with a Microcab, both in excellent shape from the original owner. In the meantime, a Marshall JMP-1 popped up, and sold from under me right afterwards, for quite a bit less. But I'm glad I went with the MP-1, because the JMP-1 had a "JCM900" character that wasn't doing it for me. A Quadraverb as would be era correct, and a Yamaha MEP4 so I can use my organ-style pedals to switch patches complete the rack.

While I wish I had an Ampulator to get the power amp response, or that my Microcab was a Monstercab* so I could use a real power amp into it, I'm overall happy with the sound for now. And going from a chorused clean with echo to a dry chugging rhythm just makes me feel more powerful.

I just now found an MC-1 with the 7 pin cable on eBay just as they were running a Bonus Bucks promotion, so the MEP4 will be out. More room for a power amp in the future.

*and it's too bad I'll have to ship to Europe since the mod is not sold as a kit.

Harley Hexxe

Welcome to the Depot :wave:

You're off to a good start. MJMP can mod your Microcab to a Monstercab, which if I understand it correctly, just turns the original Microcab into a Microcab II. It's definitely cool to get the character of your poweramp into the direct mix.

Harley  8)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

rnolan

Hey DesolationBlvd, welcome to the depot  :thumb-up: .  Seems you have the essentials of a good recording rig going  :thumb-up:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

DesolationBlvd

Quote from: Harley Hexxe on May 18, 2021, 05:32:59 PM

You're off to a good start. MJMP can mod your Microcab to a Monstercab, which if I understand it correctly, just turns the original Microcab into a Microcab II. It's definitely cool to get the character of your poweramp into the direct mix.

Harley  8)
...yeah, I don't have a power amp yet. I'd need a stereo cabinet, or better yet the original A/DA Split Stack. Rather unfeasible in an apartment.

Not going to lie, Skid Row's "18 and Life" sold me on the MP-1. How they went from a chorused clean to a crushing lead in one shift amazed me.

Harley Hexxe

Quote from: DesolationBlvd on May 19, 2021, 06:43:36 PM

Harley  8)
...yeah, I don't have a power amp yet. I'd need a stereo cabinet, or better yet the original A/DA Split Stack. Rather unfeasible in an apartment.

Not going to lie, Skid Row's "18 and Life" sold me on the MP-1. How they went from a chorused clean to a crushing lead in one shift amazed me.

I live in an apartment, and I have 8 Split-Stack cabs. Good luck trying for find those anymore, I'm still looking for two bottoms.

Popular opinions don't seem to favor stereo 4x12 cabs though, I can understand why. You can't get the separation or the wide stereo image that way.

Harley 8)

DesolationBlvd

Quote from: Harley Hexxe on May 20, 2021, 12:46:27 PM
Quote from: DesolationBlvd on May 19, 2021, 06:43:36 PM

Harley  8)

I live in an apartment, and I have 8 Split-Stack cabs. Good luck trying for find those anymore, I'm still looking for two bottoms.

Popular opinions don't seem to favor stereo 4x12 cabs though, I can understand why. You can't get the separation or the wide stereo image that way.

Harley 8)
I'm about to move to a new apartment, and thankfully this one is first floor. So I'd be better off with a pair of 1x12s than a stereo cab when the time comes...

I've also got the Sonic Maximizer on the way for opening up the tone when I'm going straight into the Microcab.

Harley Hexxe

Quote from: DesolationBlvd on May 20, 2021, 06:45:46 PM
I'm about to move to a new apartment, and thankfully this one is first floor. So I'd be better off with a pair of 1x12s than a stereo cab when the time comes...

I've also got the Sonic Maximizer on the way for opening up the tone when I'm going straight into the Microcab.

I have an Aphex Type C, which is the same thing as the Sonic Maximizer, and I like it for live applications at lower stage volumes. It works great for that. In recording situations though it seems to kill a lot of the dynamics. It definitely trims out the bass and low mids.

Just sayin'

DesolationBlvd

And the Sonic Maximizer arrived yesterday after mail delays. And after all that, it was louder in one channel. Calibrated it, and now it provides that last bit of openness I was missing. No problems with bass, the low contour takes care of that.