ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: mp1 receive jack  (Read 5469 times)

gb

mp1 receive jack
« on: Time Format »

Hey guys

So a friend of mine suggested to run my soldano preamp  into the recieve jack of my mp1. This way i can program mp1 patches with loop on or off for this preamp.  This worked awesomely however i noticed i get a little tone loss this way. Can some explain the path this is taking  and the teson for this loss.

I did notice i can have my soldano  with mp1 chorus  and holy crap.. chorus heaven
 That was cool.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
Re: mp1 receive jack
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

The return path is just before the chorus,then you have the outputs.

DorsetRatt

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Hi gb,

Did you solve the tone loss issue? I have the same Soldano SP-77 but I hadn't thought about connecting it through the return of the MP-1.

Just a thought ... how are you splitting your guitar signal before the input to each preamp? If the signal to the Soldano became a little weaker it may account for the loss of tone?
Preamps: MP-1, MP-1 Classic, MP-2, Soldano SP-77, Piranha
Guitars: Sutch Siran Headless, Palm Bay Tidalwave, ESP M-1, Gibson Flying V

Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict

gb

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Hi there..

You might be right there. Im using my rack wah that has the guitar input and several outputs. It has a wet/dry a d wet/buff output. I use those outputs to each mp1 and sp77 inputs. This way i can use wah for either. Its pretty cool how it all can work together except for the tone loss. I might try gtr into sp77 to see if a weak gtr signal is the issue.

The coolest thing is having access to the mp1 chorus. :D its my fav chorus.

I posted in here cause i thought maybe an issue with mp1 or to understand the signal path when using the recieve jack to see why i may have tone loss or if its the nature of the way ive connected it.

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Hey gb,
I tend to agree with DorsetRatt. I think the split at your wah is the issue. If running it without the wah in the signal path works then just put an A/B/Y box after the wah and use which ever one of the outs on the wah you prefer.
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

gb

« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Thanks mate.  I just realized that even with gtr into rack wah but output from sp77 to poweramp its fine. Its only when it goes into recieve of the mp1 and out from the mp1 to the poweramp i notice a loss in oomph and tone. Ill do more testing and perhaps try my other mp1 to see if there is a difference .

Edit. I worked out the mp1 output seems to be my lack of oomph. When i turn the knob from9oclock to say 3 oclock theres not a huge increase. Whereas my sp77 is blistering loud at just a few notches. For comparisons i didnt touch the poweramp. The outputs seem to be different between pres. I have to turn the sp77 down or the recieve level on the rear  to match the ada patch levels so everything is similar.

Saying all this. I have a bunch of new 12ax7s im going to refit all out. I get my new mp1 tmorrow so ill have to give it a go too.
« Last Edit: Time Format by gb »

gb

« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

getting a little off track with my own thread but rather than spam the forum with every little question or discussion ill keep it in here. Im sure my neighbours REALLY love me now (its 11pm).. i didnt have a chance today to go to the studio (sorry Dirtyfingers if you are reading this)

so, i tried this:

Guitar into Rack wah, DRY out for the ADA mp1 then out to Chan A (VHT 2902) and WET WAH output to SP77 to Chan B (VHT 2902) each out to their own Cab.

Firstly wholy crap what an awesome and very interesting sound!! I was using the factory present 30 which has that chainsaw type sound and the SP77 as is . Just sounded fantastic (to my ears). Then the WAH was only engaged for the SP77.. it added a whole new dimension for me in using wah for rhythm without it being too over powering. But then also changing to a clean channel on either while the other side is distorted was interesting. Of course i can use the WET/BUFF output on the rack wah to have both preamps use the wah when engaged.

ANyway thought id share. Im sure this isnt anything new for the pro's but i thought it was really cool.

So on this note.. is there any device that will split guitar signal into 2 without any loss? I think im getting a little tone or signal loss through the rack wah compared to bypassing it all together. The preamp sounds more alive on its own without going through the rack wah.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

You can buy A/B splitters (easy way), some passive, some active. I took an old Peavey amp switch pedal (channel reverb etc) and modified it to be one in, A out, or B out or A+B out just using 3 standard jacks and the 2 stomp switches it has. I didn't notice any particular loss, for the A or B there shouldn't be, you're just routing it from one jack to either A or B, A+B maybe a little ? again I never had an issue.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

DorsetRatt

« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Hey gb,

I tried the Morley ABY a few years ago to feed 2 amps at the same time ... I think the signal did become a bit weaker from what I can remember, then used a booster after each split ... far from elegant solution.

I've just checked the Morley website and there are better devices available, with level controls ... ABY Mixer, Tripler, etc. Doesn't have to be Morley though, there are other manufacturers doing similar devices.

I must admit you've got me thinking about a rack wah system, never considered one before :thumb-up:

BTW ... I've been using a slight boost in front of the Soldano just to give it that extra kick. Tried a few EQ pedals and ended up with the HBE Detox ... but I guess I set it to "Overdose" ... very musical warm sounding EQ and the tone seems to remain intact.
« Last Edit: Time Format by DorsetRatt »
Preamps: MP-1, MP-1 Classic, MP-2, Soldano SP-77, Piranha
Guitars: Sutch Siran Headless, Palm Bay Tidalwave, ESP M-1, Gibson Flying V

Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict
Pages: [1]   Go Up