ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: (Another) Pimp-my-Cheapo - LTD ST213FR  (Read 772 times)

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive

A couple of years back ESP-LTD put out some low budget Floyd Rose Strats very reminiscent of the early 90s Fender Floyd Rose Strats. I got one of those last year NOS B-stock for dirt cheap and after first inspection the woods and fretwork appeared to be just fine to pimp the hell out of it.
The stock pups and electronics (cheap pots and jack, ultra thin wiring) and especially the Floyd Rose Special were the initial candidates that shouted replacement.

The Gotoh GE1996T is up there if not even superior to the OFR (Suhr exclusively uses the Gotoh) for not even half the €€€.
I always wanted to check out a Suhr DSH+ HB (A true high output humbucker, the DSH+ covers a broad musical base with musicality, punch, authority, and tone. The pickup exhibits excellent harmonic content, lots of midrange and a focused low end. Well suited for classic rock or metal. The DSH+ is our fattest sounding humbucker with the most midrange content) and decided on a simple H-S config with a DiMarzio Injector in the neck. 3-way Blade switch, 1 Vol, 1 Tone, Middle pup is not wired and just in there for pure fill-the-gap cosmetics.
I also replaced the locking nut with the Gotoh one that came with the GE1996T and put in a set of Gotoh SG381 Tuners I had lying in my parts drawer.   
Some minor fret levelling and setup and this is now a straight forward Rock Strat. Play like butter and sounds really good and resonates just fine....The Suhr DSH+ is an awesome pup btw.....

« Last Edit: Time Format by Systematic Chaos »

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: (Another) Pimp-my-Cheapo - LTD ST213FR
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Hey SC, very nice  :thumb-up: . And fitted with your (trade marked LoL) strap clips.  Thanks for the tip about the Suhr DSH+ HB  :headbanger: .  I've always been a fan of Gotoh HW BTW.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Nice Axe SC,

I'm going to have to look into that Suhr HB pickup and see how that compares with some of the ones I've been using.
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Hey SC, very nice  :thumb-up: . And fitted with your (trade marked LoL) strap clips.  Thanks for the tip about the Suhr DSH+ HB  :headbanger: .  I've always been a fan of Gotoh HW BTW.

I have those DiMarzio strap locks on several guitars
Pages: [1]   Go Up