ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Do you prefer low or high output pickups with the MP-1?  (Read 1042 times)

DesolationBlvd

Before moving to the MP-1, my main rig was a Marshall SV20H and a 1966A cabinet, with either a Turbo Rat, SD-1, or Tube Screamer boosting it to metal levels of gain, and I preferred the hottest pickups possible. But somehow, my guitars with ultra-hot pickups sound not their best through the MP-1, while pickups with more paffy output levels let the MP-1 breathe a bit.

Anyone else prefer lower output pickups when using the MP-1? Also, is it worth installing the 3TM for use with high output pickups if you also have a Peavey Rock Master?

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Probably rabidgerry can provide some good insights for you?, he uses a peavey rockmaster, plays metal and has experimented with lots of different PUs.  IIRC he also has a 3TM.  He also likes to boost his input before the preamp.  For me, particularly these days, I like PUs with character and tonal variations with various wiring combinations etc. I do remember the early high output PUs e.g. mighty might, they even did a 3 coil PU (back in the late '70s early '80s?).  Back then we were chasing more distortion into amps like my '73 Marshall 50 with no master vol.  The 3TM gives you even more gain with the extra tube.  Then it becomes a bit more about articulation within the highly distorted signal.  EMGs seem to do well in this regard particularly for dropped tunings.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

DesolationBlvd

I posted this thread because my ESP with Duncan Black Winters didn't sound as good through the MP-1. In fact, I found it just wasn't doing what I wanted it to do. I was guessing that the high output was to blame, but my Les Paul with DiMarzio X2N sounded quite a bit better. I lowered the Black Winter and the sound greatly improved.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento

I prefer low-to-medium hot pickups in my guitars with pretty much all my amps, not just the rack gear. I have a couple guitars with hotter pickups (16k-ish) and, as you describe, they need to be lowered to be tamed sometimes....but lowering them also sacrifices some of that tone, IMHO

I have some Seymour Duncan SH4 JBs in a couple guitars, they read about 8 or 9k ohms, not super hot, but middle of the road. One guitar has a SH1, which is a 59er I believe. And, I've got a P90 in my Vee's bridge, that's low output but high snarl  >:D

So, in answer to your question...I prefer low to medium pickups over the hotter ones....very subjective, do what you want, you will anyway
Pages: [1]   Go Up