ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stepping Down From 220v To 110v, Solutions?  (Read 1939 times)

samtheman185

Hi guys,

I just decided to pull the trigger on an MP-1 classic from Europe. I was trying to find solutions to convert the transformer from 220v to 110v. Do you guys think a 220v to 110v adapter would work, or would I have to completely remove the transformer and wire it?

Regards,
Sam

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Stepping Down From 220v To 110v, Solutions?
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Hey Sam, see my other post about this, you can buy a 110v transformer from MJMP (http://www.marshalljmpmodshop.net/miscellaneous_parts_and_replacement_tubes.htm).  But meantime you could use a step up transformer (117v to 220v) to run it, need to watch out for the power plug configuration, i.e.  the step up transformer needs the correct outlet for whatever power plug your 220v Classic has.  There is no "adapter" to change voltages, you need a step up transformer which takes 117v (US voltage) and converts it to 220v.  Here in Australia we/I use step down transformers 240v to 117v to run US or Japanese units and these have US style power outlets on them. 

Depending where (which country) this Classic you bought is coming from, it will have a plug for that country, they are all different but mostly (for ADA gear) it would be a UK plug, a Euro plug or Australian plug.

Power plug adapters (like the ones you can get for overseas travel) work for gadgets that can work off multiple voltages (e.g. laptop power supplies, electric shavers etc.) but have different plugs.  ADA gear was made before multiple voltage capability was a thing.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

samtheman185

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Hey Sam, see my other post about this, you can buy a 110v transformer from MJMP (http://www.marshalljmpmodshop.net/miscellaneous_parts_and_replacement_tubes.htm).  But meantime you could use a step up transformer (117v to 220v) to run it, need to watch out for the power plug configuration, i.e.  the step up transformer needs the correct outlet for whatever power plug your 220v Classic has.  There is no "adapter" to change voltages, you need a step up transformer which takes 117v (US voltage) and converts it to 220v.  Here in Australia we/I use step down transformers 240v to 117v to run US or Japanese units and these have US style power outlets on them. 

Depending where (which country) this Classic you bought is coming from, it will have a plug for that country, they are all different but mostly (for ADA gear) it would be a UK plug, a Euro plug or Australian plug.

Power plug adapters (like the ones you can get for overseas travel) work for gadgets that can work off multiple voltages (e.g. laptop power supplies, electric shavers etc.) but have different plugs.  ADA gear was made before multiple voltage capability was a thing.

Hey Nolan!

Thank you very much for the help! I’m trying to find your other post, do you know what the thread is called?

With Regards,
Sam

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Hey Sam, I posted some stuff in your introduce yourself thread (and ages ago I think in the MP-1 Classic threads).  MJMP has come back to say MDRT doesn't work in the Classic  :nono: but he does (according to his site (4 in stock)) have the original 110v transformers which do.  So grab one of those quickly while you can and then you won't have to worry about step up transformers etc.
Cheers Richard
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Hey Sam,

I have an MP-1 with a 110v PT that I’m looking to swap for a 220v PT….maybe we can work sth out
Pages: [1]   Go Up