ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Master Gain  (Read 1061 times)

K-man

Master Gain
« on: Time Format »

Hi all,
I may have missed this somewhere, but is the master gain more of a master volume to balance the level between patches, or does it also influence the gain structure? I tried looking at the schematic but it is beyond me (I am used to analog schematics with potentiometers as the controls).

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
Re: Master Gain
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

It's actually a master volume. To get a bit technical U13 (TC9176) is the master volume. One side does the tube volumes, the other side is the SS voicing. Thet are actually dual digital controlled pots.

K-man

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Cool, thanks MJMP!

So is it better to keep the master gain up higher and the output volume low, or the other way around?
« Last Edit: Time Format by K-man »

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

I usually set my master at 5.0-6.0 for the tube channels, on 10.0 for SS clean (with low OD1 and 2 settings).

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Hey K-man, you use the master vol to set the level of each patch compared to one another.  You should set the master for your loudest patch (usually your over the top lead solo patch) and then adjust the master of the other patches less to suit the volume change you want from say your rhythm patch(s) to what you need for the solo level.  This difference needs to be greater if you have to cut over other mid range instruments e.g. keys or, particularly, other guitars.  BTW this is best done at stage volumes as the "differences" are heard more louder.  I tend to go for master of 8 or 9 for the loudest patch which gives plenty of room for the softer ones to be adjusted and I tweaked them over time during loud rehearsals to be just the right boost/cut in volume.  So you might run rhythm patches around 5 ish, softer solo patches around 6 or 7 and then your loudest solo patch(s) at 8 or 9.  What you need to set the master to will be influenced by how much gain (OD1/OD2) you have set for the patch as higher OD settings will be louder.  The master vol controls the level going to the next part of the circuit so Fx send and then chorus input (so yes it does influence your overall gain structure).  The units volume (sent to headphone out and A/B outs) is set by the front volume knob.  I tend to run it high (3 or 4 o'clock) and turn the power amp vols up/down to suit.  But where you need to set it depends on your setup.  If you plug it into mixer channels, you need to adjust it and the channel gains so the channels don't clip (too much) at the loudest patch. If you run it into a stereo fx unit, then you need to set it and the fx units input so it doesn't clip (too much) again at the loudest patch.  If you go strait to a power amp and the amp doesn't have vol controls then you control the overall level from the MP-1 vol knob.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

K-man

« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Great thanks all.
Pages: [1]   Go Up