ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 50 combo  (Read 4563 times)

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
Re: Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 50 combo
« Reply #30 on: Time Format »

That's on eof the reasons why I use my Marshall heads as poweramp and I use 2 of them, not just for the stereo but this way I also have a backup if one fails. Must say no problems yet. As for the preamps, I make sure they stay cool with some fans.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #31 on: Time Format »

That's on eof the reasons why I use my Marshall heads as poweramp and I use 2 of them, not just for the stereo but this way I also have a backup if one fails. Must say no problems yet. As for the preamps, I make sure they stay cool with some fans.

Maybe that's why I haven't had issues with the preamps. I've been using clip-on fans in the back of the racks for years.
   This is also why I've wanted to install rack fan panels with a couple of computer type cooling fans in them in the back of the racks. With one fan pulling air into the rack and one drawing air out on the opposite side, it should circulate enough air to help cool the preamps while they are in use.
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #32 on: Time Format »

Maybe that's why I haven't had issues with the preamps. I've been using clip-on fans in the back of the racks for years.
   This is also why I've wanted to install rack fan panels with a couple of computer type cooling fans in them in the back of the racks. With one fan pulling air into the rack and one drawing air out on the opposite side, it should circulate enough air to help cool the preamps while they are in use.

I've been thinking of that for years now, but never pursued the parts to do it

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #33 on: Time Format »

I'm in the same boat as you Dante, I just never got together the parts to assemble it all and try it out.

It shouldn't be too hard to do really, just a couple of fans mounted to a rack panel that can run off of the AC power from the Furmans, and they would come on when I hit the Furman power switch. That's why I got all of my racks with rear rack rails.

I just haven't been doing a lot with my rack gear lately. Too much going on at the moment and the Fender gear is so much quicker and easier to set up. But that is going to change soon. I'll probably try that out on my MB-1 rig first since I'm going to need that up and running soon, and since I only have one MB-1 preamp,  :facepalm: I'll want to take care of it.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #34 on: Time Format »

TBH: me either on the rack stuff

The last few outdoor gigs I did with the rack, I put a fan in front of my pedalboard and one behind the rack blowing forward. Worked like a charm

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #35 on: Time Format »

Yeah, that sounds like it would great for outdoor gigs, but I'm not going to be taking the racks to those things anymore. I'll just be keeping them in a studio environment. So the cooling rack panels would be good for them in that situation. Quieter too.

Samuraipanda

« Reply #36 on: Time Format »

I have a Switchblade 50 Mk1 and I love it! I use it with my Boss GT10 in 4cm.
When I don't want to haul my ADA rack to shows, the H&K is a solid option.
I was lucky enough to get mine with a road case and a Rockman midi f.s. so I don't even need the gt10 if I really want to go barebones on setup.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #37 on: Time Format »

Panda,

I think about that all the time...leaving the MS-3 out, using only the Switchblade. I haven't even messed with the FX in that thing  :facepalm:  which seems like a shame, but I do like Boss FX for live stuff and the original footswitch only has 4 buttons anyway...I'm not gaining any buttons with that thing over my MS-3.

Kinda seems natural that a few old ADA addicts would gravitate towards anything programmable....like a switchblade. They do sound great
« Last Edit: Time Format by Dante »

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #38 on: Time Format »

Hey Dante,

After programming ADA preamps, especially MP-2's, going to other programmable gear is kind of second nature to us. Finding compact combo amps that can be as versatile as our rack gear is a sort of bonus if you think about it.

The only thing no one can get around is the speakers. You still need several speakers to get that HUGE guitar sound. I've got that going on right now with my Fender rig.

So the question comes to mind about this amp since the manual is kind of vague on the subject; does this have built-in stereo effects, and can you get the stereo spread if you connect external speakers to this amp?

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #39 on: Time Format »

Honestly, I have no idea if the on board effects are stereo. I do know that an external speaker is just dual mono..so there's that. I have stereo effects in the Boss, so I could run to another combo for that

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #40 on: Time Format »

Without checking the manual, it may have stereo fxs, like the little Blackstar I tried out ages ago.  The stereo fxs worked for the direct to DAW outs, or I spose you could run it into another amp/cab.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #41 on: Time Format »

I looked at the manual Richard, and on the back of the amp, it doesn't seem to have any DI outs to a mixing desk, or DAW.

@ Dante, You could probably run the Boss direct for stereo mixes.
   Personally speaking, I like playing in stereo. Both the Cyber Twin and Deluxe have stereo DI's to feed to a mixing desk or DAW, but both of them need to be attenuated. The Twin has balanced XLR's on the back of it while the Deluxe has balanced 1/4" (TRS). I have to run the Deluxe outs through a pair of DI boxes to get it right, and it sounds killer no matter if I'm going direct or with the Expansion amp connected to it, but adding the Twin in the center channel just totally rocks my world!

I've got to get some recordings of this rig happening

Samuraipanda

« Reply #42 on: Time Format »

Harley,
The effects are mono. When I use the combo with two of my splitstacks, the effects are identical in both cabs. The inboard effects are rudimentary on the modulation and you just turn the pot to find the chorus/flanger/tremolo you like and live with it. The delay has 3 knobs and is more versatile. The reverb is digital and is ok. The Mk 1 version does not have the redbox DI but I think the 2nd gen does.

https://youtu.be/lvRJoaD8oa4

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #43 on: Time Format »

Andy,

Thanks for the clarity about that, and it makes sense for H&K. They are primarily an amp company, not an effects company. I was just curious about how deep they went with the effects they built into an amp. I do remember reading something about plugging one of the speaker connections to a Redbox in the manual.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up