ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Strange problem with Tung-Sol reissues in my MP-1  (Read 2125 times)

Pete66

Hello,

I purchased 2 Tung-Sol reissues 12AX7 from Vivatubes about 10 months ago. 
I tried using them yesterday in my ADA MP1 and they dont work. 
I have to crank everything up to 10 to barely hear anything on the tube channel.
I tested them in the tube tester and they are good.  I tried them in my JCM800 and they work fine.

Theres nothing wrong with my ADA MP1 because it works just fine with my JJ tubes.
Anyone have any idea what the heck might be going on?
 :dunno:
Thanks
Pete

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento

Hi Pete,

Could be any number of things. I just ordered some Mullard power tubes to quiet the noise in my combo. They didn't help, so I blamed the amp. The amp tech told me the tubes are not matched as well as they say, and one is leaking gas. Sucks, but I'm just saying, maybe those tubes are damaged.

Pete66

I think you may be correct but its just strange that they work in my Marshall and test good in the tube tester bu they don't work in my MP1

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Hey Pete, very perplexing  :dunno: , they should work fine in your MP-1.  The only thing I can think of is that the pins are not connecting as well as they should.  Maybe a bit of dust? Normally I'd recommend a spray of contact cleaner but this is NOT a good idea for tube sockets and can make them worse.  There's a post by MJMP about this from a long time ago.  Since they test fine, and work in your JCM800, that indicates the tubes are ok.  Maybe try putting them in and out a few times, may clear the problem.  While they may be lower gain than the JJs, they wouldn't be that much for the result you describe.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Iperfungus

• Methodical killers do good jobs!

Uhm...I love Tung Sol tubes and I remember that I tested them in my MP-1: I didn't like the tone (wrong tubes for modern MIDI tube preamps, IMHO), but they worked perfectly.

As Dante wrote, that can depend from everything.
Probably one of the tubes parameters at least  does not match MP-1 requirements, for instance.
Sometimes strange things happens: there are some 9V batteries full of charge and in perfect shape that cannot make a pedal work properly.
Why? Who knows.  :lol:

Do you have any other tubes around to run a test?
Or did you simply try to swap/invert the 2 Tung Sols in the sockets?
« Last Edit: Time Format by Iperfungus »
On the run again!

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net

Do you see the filaments glow when they are in the MP-1?

Pete66

Do you see the filaments glow when they are in the MP-1?

Filaments glow on one of them.  They both get hot.
Even when I replaced the one that doesnt glow with the JJ tube I still get very low output.
Only when I replace both with my JJ tubes everything it works normal.

Pages: [1]   Go Up