ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 26   Go Down

Author Topic: Rig Pix  (Read 190660 times)

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.
Re: Rig Pix
« Reply #240 on: Time Format »

I'd fill up an empty guitar case with concrete just for this guy.  >:(

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #241 on: Time Format »

Gimme five minutes, I want to have a wall to wall conversation with this guy

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #242 on: Time Format »

Gimme five minutes, I want to have a wall to wall conversation with this guy

Make sure the walls are concrete ;)

Harley 8)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

tomy

• "To loose means trouble, to win pays double"
« Reply #243 on: Time Format »

No conversation will help, this butthead can only understand a huge kick in his a$$
"As far back as I can remember,  I've always wanted to be a  gangster..."

ARSENAL :
https://fr.audiofanzine.com/membres/885047/products/

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #244 on: Time Format »

:facepalm: , what a thing to do to a guitar....  Unfortunately, kicking him in the a$$ would probably just make him spit on it as well next time...

@ Harley, if you check out the APP1 manual, it has a good section at the back recommending suitable "clean/flat" eq settings for a few amps (including fender twin, Marshall) to plug in the APP1 as a preamp. They are not what you would expect BTW.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #245 on: Time Format »

:facepalm: , what a thing to do to a guitar....  Unfortunately, kicking him in the a$$ would probably just make him spit on it as well next time...

@ Harley, if you check out the APP1 manual, it has a good section at the back recommending suitable "clean/flat" eq settings for a few amps (including fender twin, Marshall) to plug in the APP1 as a preamp. They are not what you would expect BTW.

Not what I would expect in what way?

Harley 8)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #246 on: Time Format »

Hey Harley, check out the manual (I think I posted it on the APP1 topic.  Intuitively I would have expected that if you put all the eq knobs centre it would be  "flat(ish), but the settings recommended are quite different to that and also quite different per different amp, kind of makes sense I spose for guitar amps.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #247 on: Time Format »

Hey Richard,

Thanks, I'll go check that out.

You know, the whole purpose of even looking at something like this, is to get a Fly Rig together that would reproduce a tone like my rack gear. From the video demos of the APP1 when it first came out, it didn't really seem like ADA was trying to do that, but rather introduce something new to the market. Here are a couple of points I keep in mind when I'm looking at things like this, and I'm not just referring to the APP!, but everything on the internet;

Despite all the advertising hype, what you see and hear will not sound the same or react the same for you when you get it home.

The other is similar in that respect which we are all familiar with, and that is, even when you go to the local music store and audition a piece of equipment, once again, when you get it home, it doesn't sound the same.I'm sure we've all had that revelation before.

Personally, my amplifier tastes revolve around what I grew up with, and the amps that really made an impression on me at an early age. Those would be Fenders and Marshalls. When you look at all the current amps, and amp modelers on the market today from those manufacturers, they show off all these high gain settings for Fender Twins, and Marshall Plexis, but back in the day, those amps claim to fame was how clean they were at loud volumes, and the pristine clarity they preserved while amplifying your guitar! ADA didn't fit into this pattern, because when they hit the market with the MP-1, it offered these tones, but gave you so many others to choose from, and the way to create and shape your own unique amp tone if you were inclined to do so. That's how ADA made it's way to my first choice list as the "go-to" amplifier system. The access to the tones I already loved, but with a lot more versatility than anything else out there.

To be quite honest, in a fly rig setup, I'm not quite sure that the APP1, even with the MP-1Ch, can do that, and it would cost a good chunk of change to get into that rig and end up disappointed that you don't have the versatility of the racks.
   I am looking at the Tech 21 RK5, or the FlyRig5, as a means of getting the basic tones in a more cost effective way.

Just my skepticism getting the best of me.

Harley 8)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #248 on: Time Format »

Hey Harley, absolutely, and, as you say, it's a fair whack of change without knowing it's what you want. Albeit APP1 with MP1ch in loop is a interesting patch idea. I'd like to try it (at home). Maybe Monty can try it for us ?

Have you ever heard a SANs amp ? (about the size of a small pedal), I used to play with a guy who used one (I had MP1 back them), it wasn't half bad (early 90s' BTW).
So there's 3 guitar solos in this song, the first was overdubbed later (and shouldn't be there, the rest was live, warts and all), the 2nd is Scotty using his SANs amp (Tokai LP), direct and listen through the monitors, the 3rd is me and my MP1 rig
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIr9nZ4aJfo)

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #249 on: Time Format »

Hey Richard,

Yes, I've seen the Sansamp, and the two fly rigs I mentioned both have that included with them. When I suggested the MP-1 Channel in the effects loop of the APP-1, I was thinking more along the lines adding another voice to the APP-1, to give you three, possibly four basic tonal options.
   The APP-1 has two voices with a boost, which could act as a third voice if you set it right, then with the MP-1 Channel in the loop, you can add a clean, or distortion tone to the existing voice in the APP-1. That kind of blend can produce tones they didn't think of at ADA, and once again the boost can change it further for an over the top lead tone. Adding the GCS, gives you the ability to plug directly into the house PA, or a clean amplifier. That was my thinking when I suggested it, but just those three components alone would give me a great guitar tone, but without any effects, and the cost over here would be in the neighborhood of $1000 USD. Now, add in a few stomp boxes, or a single high end multi effects box, and that cost can add up to another $500 - $1000. That's four to eight times the cost of one of the Tech 21  units mentioned above which will already give you reverb, delay, and chorus, (of sorts). While I am an ADA Devotee, that is kind of prohibitive at the moment.

Nice video there Richard, blurry, but a good sound mix over all. I can see why you thought the first solo shouldn't have been there. It did seem out of context with the rest of the song, in fact it was kind of raspy sounding compared to the smoothness of the rest of the band. (Just my opinion). The other two solos sound great! The Sansamp blends in very nicely, and I still say the MP-1 is a killer tone machine! Accordion with delay??? :o Only in the Land Down Under!!!  :bow: It was cool though. You guys get the gold star for originality on that one! I want to hear you guys play Roundabout with that. I'll bet that would be wild :whoohoo!:

Harley 8)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #250 on: Time Format »

Hey Harley, Pat Cash's Head Band (brainchild of Barry Maculock) was mostly 3 piece (Bass, drums, guitar) and some times, if there was enough money for the gig 2 guitars.  Scotty and I played guitar depending who was available etc.  It was good with both of us because he's a bit country and I'm all rock, also the solos were mostly E or A so it was good to have someone to share them as one runs out of ideas after a while.  The band never rehearsed, ever, Barry would just say oh it's a bumper bumper in E or whatever and away we'd go... Lots of fun and very spontaneous.
So Barry has an idea to make a "live" recording so we assembled in a warehouse (local PA/Lights company), set up in a circle (drums, bass/vox, keys, Scotty Guitar, Anton Squeeze Box (he often plays with jazz bands), Harmonica, then me guitar). Miced it up down a multicore to the office area, mixed direct to DAT.  The idea (as most of them had never played with us before) was to play through all the songs to learn them and then play them again to record.  Though we recorded everything, and it's mostly the first takes that are the best (IIRC a case of beer diapered along the way LoL). The DAT tapes were lost in the back of a taxi, I'd at least done a decent cassette dub of most of it (I left out some of the in between talking etc), which I later sampled into protools. It's a great warts and all live recording if you like good pub blues rock and even has an instrumental doodle I wrote many years ago (attached).
Barry decided he didn't like the keyboard solo (which is under the added guitar solo), shame as I like it, very Pink Floyd, so years later he got a mate of his to play another guitar solo over it (which it doesn't need and as you say doesn't really fit sonically). I have the original version without the adulteration.  Barry also decided to make the youtube clip (he'd got some animation/video package). So we sent him some footage to include (the video of me is from a totally different gig with another band years later) and he fed it through his thingy, so it's meant to be all blurry apparently.
« Last Edit: Time Format by rnolan »

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #251 on: Time Format »

Here's the original version

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #252 on: Time Format »

Hey Richard,

I see what you mean about the original recording. I'm with you on that one, I would have left the keyboards in too, that definitely fit the vibe of the song.

I like that RevRock mp3 also :thumb-up: Guitars are very Satch-erized! That Summer Song groove is a lot of fun to jam to. You can go all over the map with that one and still be right with it.

Harley 8)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #253 on: Time Format »

Hey Harley, glad you like it  O:-) , I whipped it up at a party years ago (ran out of songs to play LoL). That's the only recording of it and I wrote a couple of new bits to it at the time.

tomy

• "To loose means trouble, to win pays double"
« Reply #254 on: Time Format »

I bring a cooler to every gig - I'm a beer snob

If they are offering Bud, Coors, or any of those derivatives, I'll ask for water

hey Dante,

Bud, Coors... derivatives ! you mean those are not real beer ?
"As far back as I can remember,  I've always wanted to be a  gangster..."

ARSENAL :
https://fr.audiofanzine.com/membres/885047/products/
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 26   Go Up