ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Power amp of choice  (Read 7061 times)

j4q0

Power amp of choice
« on: Time Format »

Dear fellow members,

First I'd like to say hi to all and thank for sharing thoughts and ideas about the MP-1. It's been a while since I've visited this forum and I just found a new site.

I've used for the longest time an MP-1 Classic with, first with a Moslvalve 962 (I believe) and then a Mesa 2:90.
I always found the mosvalve gave the MP-1 a high pitched unpleasant feedback in certain situations, which disappeared when I started using the Mesa. So now that I'm back to power amps again I've been using a MP-1 3TM and the Classic through a Mesa fifty/fifty.

I just tried the 3TM through the power section of my 5150mkIII and I'm amazed at how much alike they sound, which I'm preferring over the sound of the Mesa that adds a lot of low end. When going back to the Mesa I would need to raise the mids and presence in the MP-1 to get somewhere close to the 5150mkIII (although both power amp sections use 6L6).
One curious thing is that I've also tried an ElectroHarmonix Magnum44 power amp (bright setting), and with just adding one notch to the bass I get the same punchy tone as with the power section of the 5150mkIII.

This leads me to believe that perhaps the Fifty/Fifty is not what I want and maybe I should go back to a 2:90, or look into a VHT 2:50:2 or 2:90:2 which are supposed to be more transparent.

I should add that I always used the classic Marshall 1960-t75 celestions and recently got a 2x12 with one Celestion K100 and an Eminence Governor. I tried the V30 and they are not my thing, I preferred the Eminence Governors over them, and the K100 over both.

My question is about your poweramp of choice, why you chose the one you use and how does it interact with your MP-1 (being it modded or not)?

As always, thanks for your comments or suggestions.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Power amp of choice
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Hi j4q0, welcome to the new board  :thumb-up:
My choice is ADA B200s, great amp, powerful (124w per channel into 4 ohms) not to much weight, reliable and transparent (and some would say warm)
Currently I'm using a Carvin TS100, all tube stereo 50/50 or 100w bridged, very happy with it, nice clean transparent and plenty of grunt
Cheers Richard
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

darralld

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

I'm using the Peavey classic 50 / 50. Real nice tube power amp.

j4q0

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Thanks for your comments.

Rnolan, I never tried the ADA power amps but I've always read good things about them. Same with the TS100 though I know some people don't like it.

Darralld, I agree, I used the Peavey Classic 50/50 and it was nice but since I got it used it was a bit busted so I ended up selling it and getting the Mesa fifty/fifty.

Have anyone tried a VHT with the MP-1?

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

I'd go with this one (ADA B200s) if it's the right voltage for you (http://adadepot.com/index.php?topic=157.0) need to work out a good price, my guess is around $200 would be fair ???

d1469d

« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Has anyone used a ISP Technologies Stealth power amplifier? I have been researching this power amp for a while now. I am thinking of this or a Mosvalve.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Not seen them before, the rave/sales blurb/stuff seems good although depends a bit how much they are.  If they're more than around $400 AUD then the Carvin (http://www.carvinworld.com/products/DCM200L) 100w a side 1 RU unit would be better (IMHO).
ADA preamps do best with very clean transparent power amps, I'm not sure the ISP is super clean ?  Anyway big down side is it isn't 19" rack mountable...

d1469d

« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

I called Buck from ISP and he is the inventor of the ISP Stealth power amp. He said it is basically a very compact clean  power amp with a lot of power. It is supposed to be the equivalent of a cranked 100 watt Marshall head. I may give it a try. I know our bass player plays through a Mark amp, it is small and I had a hard time believing that his amp sounded like it did. If nothing else I can always ship it back. I will keep you posted. Probably won't pull the trigger on a power amp for a few weeks.

GuitarBuilder

« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

I use two different types:

1.  ADA Microtube 200 in my ADA Head (MP-1, MP-1 Classic, MP-2) into Peavey 3-way PA speakers

2.  Crown XLS1000 with another MP-2 into Peavey 3-way PA speakers

They sound very different!  The Microtube definitely produces a different tone and requires different EQ settings on the MPs.  The Crown is my favorite - very clean, very linear and loud as hell.
ADA and Rockman Heads
Marshall amps
Strats and Les Pauls

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Re ISP, Well that's what I'd want for an ADA pre amp, good clean, transparent, and compact is good, lots of power/punch power amp, let us know how it goes...

finstah

• Jurrie Rocks
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

I run mine thru a VHT 50/50. Then bought a tube biaser from Weber and set my KT-77's to run around 40-41.  :metal:
Pages: [1]   Go Up