ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: AVID Eleven Rack Opinions  (Read 16502 times)

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
AVID Eleven Rack Opinions
« on: Time Format »

I'm not looking for more rack gear, but I did run across an Eleven Rack nearby at a reasonable price (which is rare in itself) so I'm considering it. Especially after reading all the reviews about running it directly into the PA (we use IEMs, which is nice).

IIRC, the big drag about these is that the mono (Left) output is on the front, while the second output (for stereo) is on the back (wtf?). Also, it appears to only work with ProTools, I use LOGIC. Hmmm...

Any other opinions?

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: AVID Eleven Rack Opinions
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

That's always been the issue with Avid (digidesign), only works with their hardware/software.  Although the latest versions >=10 of ProTools (finally) support other I/O hardware.  So now you pay the big bucks for the software where as before you paid big for the hardware and they threw in the software.
I just realised someone I know has the Eleven Rack in his ProTools set up.  He seemed pretty happy with it.  It seems the AxeFX is the top dog in cloning at the moment, but not cheap. I'm happy with my MP2 set up but then I'm not trying to copy other tones these days (or ever really).
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

As appealing as it sounds to bring a single unit to a gig and run it direct, I can do the same thing with my MP-2 + Quadraverb in a 2u rack (which I have). So, I kinda talked myself out of it.

The MP-2 cab sims do a respectable job, so I could see myself plugging straight into the snake and leaving the amp/cabs at home. I am not overly fond of the direct signal from the Classic though...maybe an ADA Cab Sim would help

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Hey Dante, reducing/consolidating is always nice but don't sacrifice the sound (no clones... real tubes mmmm...). I've not played a Classic (for me MP1 and now MP2) but I do miss some aspects of the MP1 sound (which I assume is encapsulated in the Classic with some of the best later to be MP2 features, and the brown? classic users allude to).  In the end, I find I can do all I want with the MP2 (I've very much found "my" sound (with it/and previously the MP1, albeit different)) and a decent effect (my MP-2 + Quadraverb in a 2u rack (which I have)), is a kick ass rig which can go anywhere.  To me nothing beats cranking up with a good amp/cab(s), but I've not used IEMs.
Are the cab sims in the MP2 different from the Classic ? (I wouldn't have thought so) Anyway the cab sims in my MP2 do a great job.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

The IEMs make all the difference in the world. My ears no longer ring, and I haven't touched my vocal monitor in over a year, which makes for a very clear stage surface. I have to turn my amp up to 'gig levels' to get accurate tone, but running direct works fine.

The only noise on the stage itself is the drum set and the bass player's cab, which he also doesn't need, but we all like to feel it.

I have no idea if the cab sims are different between the MP-2 and the Classic, but they sound different and the inputs are different. One is xlr and the other is 1/4" - not sure if the Classic has balanced outputs with the 1/4" jacks, but as I said before, I am not overly fond of the Classic's direct out tone. Also, there is no switch on the Classic for different cab sims, as the MP-2 has the 2x12/4x12 options...you just get what you get with the Classic.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

I must try IEMs sometime.
From what you say it seems the MP2 cab sims are different to Classic.  I an idea you could try, plug the Classic main outs (careful with volume) into the MP2 loop returns as this bypasses pretty much everything everything except tremolo (so turn off), room eq and output level which then feed the MP2 cab sims, if the loop returns work like this (can't see why they wouldn't although need to adjust loop mix settings to full wet), you could use this idea to plug a variety of things via the MP2 cab sims (obviously one gadget at a time although probably 2 mono signals would work) anyway, food for thought.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

I am not overly fond of the Classic's direct out tone. Also, there is no switch on the Classic for different cab sims, as the MP-2 has the 2x12/4x12 options...you just get what you get with the Classic.
Wait - I stand corrected - there is indeed a cab sim switch on the Classic to select between a 'single or array' and by running the direct outs at line levels instead of instrument levels, I am getting some pretty good tones outta the Classic.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Cool, I'm going to try the MP2 loop idea with my mates MP1 a soon as I get a chance, if it works how I think it should, we should be able to plug a range of preamps into it.

RobbHell

« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Just a heads up to all Modeling Users Avid..Line6...AxeFx.  For one digital and fake. Two every digital preamp has A/D/A convertor and shitty ones at that. But to go from Analog to Digital and Back you need solid state opamps and and Audio pad. Well take a look inside you unit and youll gladly find Cheap op and quad amps shitty Cap and Not One Tone Cap. Where the Hell is the tone coming from these Companies boast their units contain. It not there lol.  Your are much better off using a Descent interface and Lou Poulins amps Models. Hell I've even ran my ADA direct to the interface and ran a Metallica Impulse. That sounded better than any
of that Modeling bullshit because a Amp Impulses quite modeling at all. Hot tubes and good Caps is where Tone will always be produced not Digital. Digital isn't even close to Coloring the Sound a way a Tube Sat can.

mike_mp-1

« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Hot tubes and good Caps is where Tone will always be produced not Digital. Digital isn't even close to Coloring the Sound a way a Tube Sat can.

I agree.
How can a DIGITAL piece of equipment make sounds that are smooth and saturated like a real amp ?
It is digital is it not, so the sound is always going to be digital, so how can a digital piece of equipment create the tone of the caps, the heat, the coolness, the tubes at different temperatures and so on, not possible.

I understand not having to fiddle with the amps and tubes and replacing parts and what have you, I get that, your tone is always consistent, consistently digital that is, in your face same sound over and over.

I would use and AXE FX for overdubbing in recording, would be a good addition.

Every time I find a great tone through guitar rig or other impulses, they seem great at first, until I plug in the MP-2 or MP-1, and heck even the Sans Amp works great.

Eleven rack would be a good addition if you are going to record and overdub some parts.

I have tried to like the digital stuff, makes it so much more easier, but the tone sacrifice is not worth it for me.

Today, most musicians growing up they are in the era, and that is all they hear, is the digital reproduced stuff, so they are not accustomed to the older gear and what actual makes a tone happen, and of course, some to lazy to care, to each his own.

Would I buy an AXE FX if I had the money, only if I had a recording studio or even for the effects in it, supposed to be so transparent.

My 2 Cents
P.S: Stay away from Digital...lol j/k
If it is a really good deal, then yeah go for it.

M

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Everything has its place, but personally, I love analogue guitar, preferably through tubes, at least the preamp stage, and keep it analogue, mix in the digital FX, much better....

trader144

« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

FWIW,
My G Major display went out the other day. I replaced the G major with an Avid 11 Rack.
The 11 Rack modelling is really good and there are tons of presets you can download for free--but the gain and distortion lacks in comparison to the good old MP-1.
I gave the 11 rack's distortion an honest try, but the MP-1's quality, clarity, sustain, etc. etc. clearly shines and modelling software seems to fizz out on long notes.

I am using the 11 Rack as my effects unit for the MP-1, which was my plan all along. I turn off the 11 rack amp sim and use the 11 rack cab simulation when not running thru a real amp.
The effects are really good and programmable/swappable.

For the first time the rear input jack of the MP-1 is a critical connection!!
Guitars: Malmsteen strat, Fender '62 reissue
Rig: Avid 11 Rack -> ADA MP-1 (stock) ->  ADA Microtube 100 -> ADA split stack

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

Thanks for the review!

I use a Boss GX-700 for my FX because it is all swappable too, I can rearrange the fx chain easily. The gains are pretty respectable, but I only found 1-2 that I would ever use live. The MP-1 Classic has gobs of good voices, same with the MP-2. With that versatility, I too have disabled the preamps in the Boss.

So, using our beloved ADA gear for the hot-rodded tube amp tones and then picking your favorite FX box seems like a good approach.

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

Nice!
The 11R is an awesome piece of gear, goes by "Poor Mans AxeFX" over here  :thumb-up:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

Again I've yet to hear anything that seriously rivals MP1/2 for the gain/tone stage. And lots of good digital FX to pick from to mix in. If I had an AxeFX I'd just use the FX.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up