ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: B200s - Why is this the Warmest SS Amp?  (Read 17131 times)

idouglascs

Hi,

I bought an ADA B200s amp that will arrive in two weeks.

I have read all the topics that talks about this amp and I see only good opinions about it.

What I didn't find is why is this the Warmest SS Amp. What people says is that it is very transparent, and I'm afraid this transparency translates into a sterile and cold sound.

I could not find videos or sound demos, nor any post talking about punch, clarity or smoothness.

I am already looking for an ADA MP1.

Thank you All

My actual gear:

Preamp with Effects
Digitech GSP1101
Digitech Valve FX

Effects Only
Alesis Quadraverb Plus

Preamp Only
Marshall JMP-1

Power Amp
Hi-Fi Power Amp, AB Class
Waiting my B200s arrive

Speakers
Digitech GSP1101 Speaker Impulse Response thru 2x12 100w 8ohms Hi-Fi Speaker with Tweeters. (great combination, gives me a lot of speaker models)

« Last Edit: Time Format by idouglascs »

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.
Re: B200s - Why is this the Warmest SS Amp?
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

When I had the b200s I found that it will give you everything that you put into it.  A cold sterile sound at the Input results in a cold sterile Output while a good sound going in results in a good sound coming out. 

idouglascs

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Thanks Kim!

What about punch and harmonics?

At volume does it attenuates some high-end, mantains a tight bass reproduction?

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

As I recall, it didnt roll off anything and stayed tight all the way up.  Maybe "warmest" was meant that it feels warm to the touch after use ?  Lol

idouglascs

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

As I recall, it didnt roll off anything and stayed tight all the way up.  Maybe "warmest" was meant that it feels warm to the touch after use ?  Lol

Kkkkk

It's a good explanation.

When I get my amp I will post my first impressions.

Thank you

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

:whoohoo!: , good score  :thumb-up: The B200s is a fantastic amp, it's kind of though it's not there just faithfully reproduces the preamp tone. Plenty of grunt, no roll offs bottom or top, as Kim said what you put in is what you get out, just louder  >:D . They are very reliable, I gigged with mine for 25 years, it was working 5 nights a week, never missed a beat. There was a slightly upgraded model I bought when I sold my MP1 rig to Mike to go with my MP2, Mike still uses my original B200s, he's changed the input pots and the output jacks (which take all the wear and tear). My newer B200s developed a bad crackle on one channel after many years, the tech tried to fix it twice (unsuccessfully). MJMP suggested I reflow all the solder joins around the power supply (he'd experienced the same issue), then he said just reflow the whole thing, which I did, it was easy as they are quite simple and easy to work on. It is now back to normal although I've been using a TS100 (I needed an amp  :metal: ). I'll build a second rig at some point with the B200s. The output transistors are mounted to the top so it gets quite hot to touch. There is also enough room to easily mount a new toroidal transformer to get the voltage right for your country. I had Dante's old US B200s changed to be 240v for a rig I put together for a mate of mine.
Here's a clip (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIr9nZ4aJfo) of Anderson ProAm > MP1, Quadverb, ISP33 smartshift, B200s, stereo quad box. Most of the backing is me and I play the 3rd solo. This was recorded live to stereo DAT in a warehouse, IIRC a pair of 57s on my cab (hey El  :wave: ). This was all at stage level volume (there was a (loud) drummer involved LoL)
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Just had a thought, the light in the power switch often dies (not sure why) but it doesn't affect anything so if that's the case with yours don't worry about it. Also the power switch is on in the up position and off in the down.
Here's 2 more live tracks with the same rig to give you an idea of how the B200s sounds.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Not sure if this MP1 is still up for grabs (http://adadepot.com/index.php?topic=1364.0), it will be a 240v model as he's in Europe (11Miles), what's the power in Brazil ? Anyway, you can put in the MDRT which can be wired for both 110 or 240v and is probably the most worthwhile mod for a MP1 (http://www.marshalljmpmodshop.net/miscellaneous_parts_and_replacement_tubes.htm)

idouglascs

« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

rnolan, thank you very much for all the great info and soundclips. Congratulations for your beautiful and smooth tone, so detailed and really cuts through.

Here in Brazil in my city we have a 220v power. My B200s is 110v (imported from USA), my plan is to use a 220v -> 110v adapter like I do with all my imported gear, do you see any problem?

I'm glad to see that there is still parts being sold for MP1, you can be sure I will get one as soon as possible and maybe do some mods. I just need someone qualified enough to replace the parts.

Yesterday I discovered that my current amp (a PA amp) colors my tone in a bad way. It add to much boomy bass, cut the mids and gives a harsh high end. To find this I bypassed the amp connecting my mixer direct to the speakers. It was a low volume sound (obviously) but a balanced smooth tone that inspires to play. I hope B200s gives me this sound at high volume.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Exactly as Kim and Richard have stated, you get out what you put in. Oh, and it can get LOUD too. The one thing I loved about it was I thought it actually got cleaner as I got louder, but that could be me expecting it to distort.

Enjoy that little brick of volume

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Well thanks so much for the congrats  :wave: just me doing my thing  >:D . You'll love the B200s, they are great amps, and as Dante says, when you turn them up, they just keep on cooking  >:D in a very nice way.
The up side with B200s is there is plenty of room to install a 240v toroidal (will be around $100), running off the step sown tranny wont be a problem (will work fine), and this is how my mate ran Dante's old B200s for a while when it first arrived, worked fine but is a bit of a pain having to have the step down transformer... We got an appropriate 240 v toroidal fitted, all good and now no step down required  :thumb-up: The transformer replacement is very straight forward, Hey MJMP is it 30v 3 amps ? Now if you get an MP1, then I'd send it to MJMP in Belgium for work... Not that others aren't qualified, but he knows them better than anyone else I've come across..

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

The transformer is 2 x 30Vac @ 3.9A

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

Thanks MJMP.. Ok so get a 220v > 2 x 30Vac @ 3.9A toroidal fitted when you can, meanwhile, the step down will work fine..

idouglascs

« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

Thank you rnolan, Dante and MarshallJMP!

Yesterday I got my B200s.

My first impression was: Hey it's miles better than my old PA amp. Much smoother, even at high volumes.
Some hours later (could not stop playing) I plugged my JMP-1 direct to the ADA, it was good until I raised Marshall's volume to push it a little... Than it became AWERSOME!

I don't know if it was only my impression but pushing the amp input I heard some compression, a fuller sound. But it was a little late so I couldn't test it louder.

My B200s is in mint condition, with minor scratches on the top. The only problem is scratch noise in the volume pots. I normally open all my rack gear as soon as I get them to clean and spray contact cleaner. But I am a little afraid to open B200s. Any safety recommendations?

Thank you all.

idouglascs

« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

My actual gear:

Note a space left above B200s for a MP1 or a Triaxis (if I can get the money because Triaxis is still out of my reach).

My actual gear:

Note a space left above B200s for a MP1 or a Triaxis (if I can get the money because Triaxis is still out of my reach).

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up