ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MT100 Opinions ? Tube Choice ?  (Read 7617 times)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
MT100 Opinions ? Tube Choice ?
« on: Time Format »

From Xavier's post (Hi guys, I just bought an ADA Microtube 100 Power Amp, Do you know where I can find the user manual? also I will appreciate some review about this power amp. Thanks.  :)).
I attached the user manual for him and started this topic for others with more direct MT100 experience than me to help him.  Also, depending on their age, the tubes could probably use a refresh.
Cheers Richard
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

GonadiusPrime

• Everything I say is a lie
Re: MT100 Opinions ? Tube Choice ?
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

I had, quite some time ago, tried every damn tube I had in the MT100 and couldn't hear a difference at all.  I think I'd need to scope it to see if there is any even.  Well, let me take that back.  There were these Peavey tubes that had more high end than the others.  That's about it.
Everything I say is true

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

For a power amp clean, quiet and no too much gain is probably what you want.  Hey Dante, (IIRC) didn't you do some tube rolling in your MT100 ?

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Yeah, I ended up with some Tung-Sols that were rated at very low microphonics IIRC

When I bought it, there were some GrooveTube 12ax7rc tubes in there and they did NOT sound good. Bright, brittle, shimmery and no body.

McLeanAB

• Adam's Music
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

The tube that has most impressed me in any device has been the Mullard re-issue 12ax7.  Smooth, open and clear.
-Adam
ISP Theta Preamp, ISP Theta PRO, ISP Theta Combo and Vector 2x12 with Celestion Alnico Creams, and Charvel Wildcards with EMGs!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

The tube that has most impressed me in any device has been the Mullard re-issue 12ax7.  Smooth, open and clear.
+ 1  :thumb-up: That has also been my experience (they are just sooo good IMHO, so 3 D is how I find them), I'm keen to try the new short plate re issues (http://www.dougstubes.com/preamp-tubes/12ax7-ecc83-7025/mullard-cv4004-12ax7.html), less microphonic, not that the long plates are shabby in that department but I don't run 3tm, mmm maybe I should.....
Pages: [1]   Go Up