ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Peavey Rockmaster - possibly blown to death!!  (Read 10174 times)

Rusty

Re: Peavey Rockmaster - possibly blown to death!!
« Reply #30 on: Time Format »

The switch is f*cked RG

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #31 on: Time Format »

Occasionally when the leads would slip and the metal probes would make contact with one another I would get a reading, but when they were 100% separated from each other bar the terminals in the switch I still got no reading. 

:???:  Is it safe to say its the switch? :???:

If the switch is knackered, this is a good thing right?  Minimal hassle replacing considering what could been right?

this switch appears to be the right size of chassis,  would it be suitable?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/18mm-X-11mm-SPST-Small-Rectangular-Rocker-Switch-Black-White-2-Pin-ON-OFF-250V/123168302435?hash=item1cad672563:m:mYjj2BWUSQVETfoXT9p4_3g

**edit**  it's not the right size actually, I need 20mm x 15mm
« Last Edit: Time Format by rabidgerry »
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

Rusty

« Reply #32 on: Time Format »

Try this RG but be very careful ok !!!!!!

1,  Snip the two black wires off the rocker switch and strip them both off to the copper and twist them together carefully so they don't come apart.

2,  with the two PCB plugs still UN-PLUGGED from the PCB board plug the pre-amp back into the mains outlet

3,  Set your meter back to the highest AC voltage range and probe the orange wires first as we said before.  sling your meter probes into the two outer orange wire pins of the plug, not the socket.

4,  Sling your meter probes into the two red wire plug also, anyway around on this plug will do and lettuce no what you get,,,

As I said before,  be patient, don't panic and be safe,  !!!!!!
« Last Edit: Time Format by Rusty »

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #33 on: Time Format »

Ok didn't snip the wires, just unsoldered them and then hard wired them together.

Tested the orange plug first, black in the centre pin then a measurement using the red from each of the side pins.

I got 20v on either side pin.

On the red cable with probes touching both pins I got 335v

I just realised I did one of the tests wrong, I didn't switch the meter to dc whilst measuring the orange wired plug.

Also I didn't have valve 4 removed.  Should I try it again?

I did test the unit turning on and it switched on no problem so I'm hoping everything is ok and all I need is a new switch.

***edit*** went back and re-read all your posts, no I did the tests right and I got pretty close to the numbers that you got from that website.

You said 322v for the red wired plug, I got 335v 

you said 21 04 21 for the orange wired cable, I got 20 for each side wire.  Never measured the middle.

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

Rusty

« Reply #34 on: Time Format »

Yip RG,   

I have seen that whole thing happen before on other electronic equiment.

You know what to do next , OK

Your good to go sir,

Rusty,   :thumb-up:

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #35 on: Time Format »

edited my last post just in case you didn't read it.

Thanks for helping me there.  Kind scary dealing with all those volts.  Actually cannot believe I can get the unit fixed now by changing the switch.  I plan on modding this preamp further than I already have BTW.  I changed two resistors to allow for higher plate voltage and one cap on the tube board to allow more low end through.  I shall replace another few caps to allow more low end though.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #36 on: Time Format »

Been playing the Rockmaster again last night.  Hard wired the two power switch wires together and then put some tape around them until my new switch arrives.  I think I have bough a switch suitable.  Said 6A at 250v 10A at 125v.  The original just said (in the smallest type/text I have ever seen) 10A 250v 125v.  Will this be ok?

Rusty I should be ok for the Rockmaster mods.  I've read conflicting things though about some of them, namely the mods that deal with changing caps to allow more bottom end though.  It may be trial and error as the guy I got the information from carried out the mods on one forum but on another forum said it made things worse for him......but then later confessed that his rockmaster may have had a problem so whether the mods are worth it I dunno.  Basically I would like it a little thicker sounding for a start anyway.

Rusty

« Reply #37 on: Time Format »

Been playing the Rockmaster again last night.  Hard wired the two power switch wires together and then put some tape around them until my new switch arrives.  I think I have bough a switch suitable.  Said 6A at 250v 10A at 125v.  The original just said (in the smallest type/text I have ever seen) 10A 250v 125v.  Will this be ok?

Rusty I should be ok for the Rockmaster mods.  I've read conflicting things though about some of them, namely the mods that deal with changing caps to allow more bottom end though.  It may be trial and error as the guy I got the information from carried out the mods on one forum but on another forum said it made things worse for him......but then later confessed that his rockmaster may have had a problem so whether the mods are worth it I dunno.  Basically I would like it a little thicker sounding for a start anyway.

Hey RG,
That switch you ordered is fine and well within spec, you may just have to file the metal chassis a little to make it fit from USA imperial to metric I'm guessing.

As far as those mods go, yes, normally playing around with the tone stack resistors and capacitors normally yields lots of options for variations of over tone adjustments. So does changing the interstage AC coupling capacitors and V1A input capacitor's C1 and C2 and R105 for example. There are many ways to thicken the tone, It's a matter of me studying the best way to go about it I suppose. I could give you some advice mabye.

Another way is to load up with decent quality valves. Good quality NOS if you can afford them, at least one or maybe two at V1 and V2, definitely V1 though, expect to pay about £40-£50 bucks each. Be aware first, you are getting into the tube rollers club which is a highly subjective subject.

Thats just another option you can consider before getting the solder welder out.

Keep me posted, Rusty.

**** Edit, Just saw this ****

I changed two resistors to allow for higher plate voltage and one cap on the tube board to allow more low end through.  I shall replace another few caps to allow more low end though.

Which resistors did you change and what cap did you change RG ?,  Let's keep track of what you have done and what has previously been done. Raising the plate voltage will automatically change the original Rockmaster design biasing of the valve.

« Last Edit: Time Format by Rusty »

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #38 on: Time Format »

No sweat man, I'll let you know when the switch arrives.  Discovered a new and useful mod!!  And I tested it last night albeit temporarily.  But by gum it works!!  Perhaps we should start a new thread?  I dunno?  Is it appropriate an ADA forum????

***EDIT***

Depending on the new thread for this idea, I will let you know what has been done so far.

Rusty

« Reply #39 on: Time Format »

No sweat man, I'll let you know when the switch arrives.  Discovered a new and useful mod!!  And I tested it last night albeit temporarily.  But by gum it works!!  Perhaps we should start a new thread?  I dunno?  Is it appropriate an ADA forum????

***EDIT***

Depending on the new thread for this idea, I will let you know what has been done so far.

Yes a new thread would be a good idea. Here in the Non ADA Gear > Rack gear department and tell me what that new mod is and all the other changes too.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #40 on: Time Format »

Some photos of the new switch replacement.

IMG-20190319-181855" border="0

IMG-20190319-182255" border="0

IMG-20190322-202929" border="0

IMG-20190322-202957" border="0

IMG-20190322-204024" border="0

IMG-20190322-204724" border="0

IMG-20190322-204740" border="0

IMG-20190322-210247" border="0

IMG-20190322-210316" border="0

IMG-20190322-210326" border="0

IMG-20190322-210908" border="0

IMG-20190322-212120-1" border="0

IMG-20190322-212521" border="0

IMG-20190322-212531" border="0

IMG-20190322-214039" border="0

IMG-20190322-214141" border="0

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #41 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, very cool  :thumb-up: , so all is good now ? you can be the master of rock again LoL.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #42 on: Time Format »

Yes all is good.

Now it's time for some modding!!

A major amazing development has also taken place.  Some JJ Cryogenic tubes that I originally got inside when I bought my 3TM turned out to be the perfect tubes for the Rockmaster.  The touch sensitivity is amazing.  The perfect feel for me, like liquid.  And the tone is excellent as well.  Funny I thought those tubes where shit, I've not had much luck with JJ's and I have been rolling a lot of tubes in and out of that Rockmaster recently (which is how broke the switch in the first place).

So now I know to buy those tubes again from Watford valves (who sell them).  Lets see though if we can get a little more low end into the Rockmaster with a few mods.  Those tubes also improved the low end as well.  Probably the right amount for recording with to be honest.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #43 on: Time Format »

It's amazing how much difference the right tubes make, I had similar results with the Mullard LPs in my MP2, just a perfect fit in that circuit.  Good you tripped over that  :thumb-up: :whoohoo!:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #44 on: Time Format »

I don't buy the "cryogenic" sh :poop:t at all, but all I know these tubes sound great in this preamp.

Another good discovery (and all I ever hear is about the over hype regarding these) is a couple of Groove Tubes I had lying about from another MP1 that came with them in.  These are a close second to the JJ Cryo's in the rockmaster.  Different kind of tone though but the touch sensitivity is there.  Haven't tried a combination using both.  I may do at some point.  Using both those tubes I just have cheap Bugera tubes in v3 and v4.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up