ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Digitech GSP1101 - Small footprint, huge sound  (Read 19032 times)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Digitech GSP1101 - Small footprint, huge sound
« Reply #60 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, I assumed (since you said the XLR out is designed to plug into a desk) that it would be cab simmed as otherwise you wouldn't want to plug it into a desk unless you change the patch(s) to have less tops than you need for going into 12" speakers.  The pix I saw of it says balanced line out, so as you say not cab simmed.  Now you are plugging a line level signal into a mic input so be careful with levels.  It would be better to plug it into ch1 line input (as it's designed for it).
MP1 is easy, MP1  A/B outs > ch 2/3, MP1 Fx send to Fx L mono in, Fx L/R out to ch 4/5, main out > amp > cabs.  You could also plug the Rocmaster in this way and it would be how I'd do it.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #61 on: Time Format »

Well when I said designed for a mixing desk I was simply reiterating what the manual states
balanced output provides 600ohm, transformer balanced signal to be used as "direct" patch into mixing consoles, tape recorders, etc.  The signal at this point has been frequency compensated for low noise operation.

To me it would be easier to plug the xlr into the xlr on the 502 since the connection is the same.  And I figured mixer input tolerances are a lot more forgiving than older equipment, well at least that's what I have been told.  But regardless of that, I'm fine putting a balanced output into a balanced input.  I have already tried this xlr out into an xlr input on my multitrack and there was no issue with levels as I expected.

Not sure why you think I need a cab sim either, I'm using guitar cabs.  A speaker sim would be a hindrance to my setup.

The Mp1 loop is parallel then?  If I have a send come from the rockmaster the signal needs to return other wise I'd get no output as they are series.  So I wouldn't use a send to have a signal for dry sent to the mixer.
« Last Edit: Time Format by rabidgerry »
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #62 on: Time Format »

The MP-1 has a serial loop. The MP-2 has a parallel loop.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #63 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, the line input jack is balanced if you want to use it, just make a lead XLR female to stereo jack (wiring is on page 10 of the manual), or buy a XLR > Stereo jack adapter, they're not expensive.  You can plug into the mic input, it's just not ideal gain structure pumping a line level signal into a mic input (kind of going backwards from a gain point of view), sure you can turn the Rockmaster output down and the mic channel gain right down and make it work, but just use a XLR > st Jack adapter and use the line input, keeps it balanced and much better (correct) gain structure.
The MP1 Fx send always has a signal (comes just after the tube > Eq section but before the chorus).  Taking a feed from there won't break the serial chain, the loop on/off in the MP1 patch toggles the Fx return jack path. You can do the same with the Rockmaster but use a Y lead so the dry signal is fed back to the return and also to the Fx input so you don't break the serial chain.
You'd only need a cab sim if you are going direct to a desk and full range speakers and you want to use the same patch as you use with cabs.  A patch adjusted for cabs will have/need much more tops than a patch tweaked for full range as the live cabs are 12" speakers and don't (usually) have a horn tweeter so they (the speakers) roll off the top end, thus we boost the tops so it sounds right.
(balanced output provides 600ohm, transformer balanced signal to be used as "direct" patch into mixing consoles, tape recorders, etc.  The signal at this point has been frequency compensated for low noise operation.)I read this as they have reduced the tops to compensate, which is the main thing all cab sims do and also what the MP1 does on its headphone out for the same reason.  (BTW you can use the MP1 headphone out direct to a desk etc for recording).  So using the line out XLR and going to cabs (as is what you want) you'll have less tops and have to compensate in your patch (or IIRC correctly you use an Eq before the amp ?).  If you just use the Rockmaster L/R outs into ch 2/3, Y lead to split off the Fx send and Fx L/R outs into ch 4/5, you now have parallel Fx and maintain stereo.
Anyway, try it all these different ways and see/hear what sounds best for you.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #64 on: Time Format »

I understand all this so no need to explain.

My rockmaster volume has never been up past 1 and a half, only time it went higher was when I put in dodgy valves and the output was terrible and to compensate I needed to push the output on the pre up.  So there will not be any danger using the rockmaster XLR out having already tested this with my multitrack XLR inputs.

Ahh that's easy then for when I want to try the same thing with the MP1, I just tap that signal off from the FX send.  I must just try this from the Rockmaster in case I am mistaken.  It has 4 loops, a common, and then one for each channel.

Cab/Speaker sim yeah I don't need one, as I already mentioned since I'm using guitar speakers which obviously have a more limited range (which speaker sims try and emulate, part of that being drastically reduced high end).  Do you use a speaker sim?

A sound guy I know off who is very good btw always takes a direct feed out of my power amp live and puts that through a palmer box that has a speaker type sim built in then the thru connection goes back into my cabs.  I hate that he does this but he likes to have a di mix and the use the mics and makes a blend.
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #65 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, I use the MP2 cab sim outs with the studio rig.  In my live rig I take the MP2 A/B to ch 1 & 2 and the cab sim outs to ch 3 & 4, MB1 out to ch 5. When I use the 2 Messa P112 bass cabs (12 + horn) I use the cab sim channels (or MB1 for bass guitar).  When I use the ADA split stack(s) I use the MP2 normal outs.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up