ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Not 1 but 2 mp1s for sale >SOLD<  (Read 9564 times)

Richie_B

Not 1 but 2 mp1s for sale >SOLD<
« on: Time Format »

There are a couple of Mp1s for sale on aussie evilbay from the one seller. One is US and the other is Aussie voltage. Problem is it's local pickup only which is a bummer. Just thought I would give peeps a heads up. The only reason I've not thought about grabbing them both is the no postage issue.
« Last Edit: Time Format by Kim »
Guitars: Fernandes ST 40, FST 125, Fernandes TEJ LTD ED and a Vortex. Chapman ML3 Pro Modern.

ADA MP1, ENGL E530, ENGL 840/50 Power amp, Carvin X100B, 2X12 cab.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Not 1 but 2 mp1s for sale
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Hey Richie, thanks for the heads up, I'm thinking of heading up that way this weekend, if it stays at that price mmm.. ::)
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

I put in a bid, see what happens  :dunno:

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Yeah, but you don't want a MP-1 Richard, you want a Classic :lol:
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

He wants them all  ;D

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

He wants them all  ;D

That's not a bad thing  ;D

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Nope ,not at all  :thumb-up:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Spoke with the guy today (nice guy BTW), picking it all up tomorrow, worked out well, he works in the next suburb to where I'm staying at my Mothers and is bringing it there for me to collect. Apparently the US MP1 works fine and he's got the step down tranny mounted in the rack, the 240v MP1 he says has some issues with changing patches (and why he bought the 110v MP1 as he was gigging with it). So hopefully I can fix it.  They both will need MDRTs, what else  :dunno: I'll know more tomorrow when I get them.  I also get a custom 4 1/2 RU rack (this will become bass rig, MB1, Fx, B500B), and a Behringer 1010 pedal he used twice (not sure what to do with that ??)... so a good deal at $600 AUD. (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ADA-MP-1-Valve-Guitar-Pre-Amp-In-Case-with-New-Behringer-FC1010-Midi-Controller-/232145125414?hash=item360ced8026:g:1TkAAOSwx2dYHtoN).  The 240v MP1 has a different volume knob (is all I can see from the photos),
Hey Harley, yes I'd like to get a Classic, but I also don't have a MP1 (until tomorrow  >:D ). While I really like MP2s (and now have 4  :facepalm: ), I loved my MP1.  It went to a great home and visits me often but it has a new master, who's been very good to it and it brings him lots of joy  :thumb-up: .  It seems the importer (a mate of mine) didn't bring in the classics to Australia  :dunno: .  IIRC it just went MP1 for quiet a while and then there were MP2s  :headbanger: .  I bought them as soon as I could. I didn't know the classic existed until the Depot. (not to mention lots of other goodies like the Fx etc or I'd have some of them also).  We are such a small market in Australia so we miss out on lots of stuff, though the interweb has helped a bit.  Also back then I was a poor musician and couldn't afford to buy much gear.

A bit off topic, my 73 Marshall 50 has just got new caps (hum gone  :whoohoo!: ). Chatted with my tech today he says it's sounding great (and he repairs a quite a few Marshalls). So there's the dry in my wet dry rig setup (this is the one I put 3 new boogie SPAX7s in).  I'll pick it up next week when I get back home (my neighbors are going to hate me when I crank that up  >:D LoL).

Hey MJMP, can you put a reserved sticker on 2 MDRTs for me please and I'll email you what else the MP1s need EPROMs etc once I sus them out. Maybe I'll 3TM one of them  :dunno: .

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Richard,

Now that you mention it, I do vaguely remember that. I think you and I joined the Depot around the same time, or pretty close. I also remember the first thing we talked about. You had a power amp hum problem, and was a bit stumped trying to track it down. I thought it might have had something to do with the 50KHz your electricity operates at.

Yeah, I'll bet if a Classic becomes available in Australia, it's probably gone as soon as the ad is posted :lol:  I'll bet your mate wasn't the only importer, after all Australia is a big country.

Harley 8)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Hey Harley, good memory LoL, that would have been a very long time ago and I'd forgotten about it (I haven't used the Marshall in very many years, quite frankly the MP1 and MP2 just make it sound like a toy, a big call but true).  I only got interested in resurrecting it 1, because I had a bunch of spare SPAX7s (that aren't the best for MP2) and 2, chatter on here re doing wet/dry rigs (something I used to do when I first got a MP1).  I used to do all sorts of combined rigs but then went simple (MP1 (later MP2) > desk <> (Fxs) > poweramp > cabs).

No one else distributed ADA here, Pro Audio had that sown up, but who knows.  But back then, not that many people were into them anyway.  But I've never seen a classic or many of the other ADA stuff in Australia.  We may be a big country but with a total population ~22 million, that's just a big city in other parts of the world.

But you touch on a salient point, I would like to have a classic, that would round off my collection of ADA preamps  :headbanger: which I still maintain are the best ever.  I tried a Kemper profiler last weekend, full of lots of profiles of amps I'd never buy... I found 2 sounds that I liked and neither were as good as MP1/MP2  :facepalm: .  Though I didn't get to profile (impulse (which while he didn't invent impulses I attribute to RG LoL as he made me aware of the technology)) MP1/2 (my slackness) which, if it worked convincingly would be a way to keep the MP1 and MP2 modern/future prooof ??  The Kemper is well thought out though but I'm not needing to clone lots of different amp/cab/stomp box combinations. Actually truth be known the MP1 was the first to do this but also find your own tone (not quite what the kemper is for but maybe sort of.. they elude to the idea in their doco).  I didn't get enough time with the kamper do that, and maybe the AxFX is the way to chase it digitally ??  SC seems to like his AxFX, I am a fan of less gadgets and less stuff to lug... But I still think why clone when you have the real thing, I spose the kemper lets you have very close approximations of the real things, but they are still approximations.   

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Richard,

I agree with you on the Kemper Profiler.  I looked into that a few months ago. It seems their idea behind it is to profile your vintage amp into it, and leave your vintage amp at home and take the Kemper out on the road. As you said, it give you very close approximations, but let me expand on that statement a little bit based on what I observed. The Kemper will profile your amp at the settings You have the amp set at. I do not get the impression it will produce the same responses as the original amp in terms of dynamics, both in the sense of tube response and touch response.
   This sounds very similar to the MP-2 because unlike the Classic, where you have a fairly clean tone, but you turn up you volume knob and dig in to the guitar a bit harder, and it will overdrive very nicely, the MP-2 will hold that clean tone at all volume levels and if you dig in harder, it ends up producing a very ugly sound distortion that isn't musical. While the Kemper won't produce that nasty type of distortion, it will still try to keep the same sound that was originally profiled and any volume from the guitar. That's a lot of money for that kind of disappointment.
    I know SC likes his AxeFX, but he is also the newer generation of guitar player too. His preferences in tones lean much more heavily to the modern guitar/amp sounds than to the vintage guitar/amp sounds. Don't get me wrong, sometimes I really like to go totally overboard with the gain piled on top of more gain, and add a bit more gain to that too. That is where the MP-2 comes in handy. Even in that kind of heavily distorted situation though, I still want the musical character of the guitar to come through all that distortion, which is why I can use my Strat through my custom MP-2 presets. I'll put my MP-2 against any modern amp you care to name and keep up with it.
    For the most part, I prefer to play with less distortion and get more natural overdrive from a good sizzling amp. which is why I like the Classic. It has all that vintage sounding gain built in, and I can roll back on the volume and clean it up a lot, but either way, it remains more musical.
   I guess I'm just a dinosaur  :lol:

Hang in there though because you never know. Somebody in the Land of Oz might be sitting on a Classic, and could be getting tired of it and might decide to sell it. Then Bob's yer uncle, Fanny's yer aunt, and you know the rest... ;D

Harley 8)

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

I have to agree with you Harley, the profiling is handy in some way but it will profile just one setting of the amp, and usually it won't respond the same way as the actual amp in a dynamic way.And the sound is very close but it sometimes misses something. And for some reason, the Kemper and the Axefx always have that high fuzzy thing in their sounds and I don't like that. Nah give me an old school real amp to play on. Like Harley says it's a generation thing and I have too agree with that.
Now Harley it's 50Hz and not 50kHz (which is actually 50.000 Hz)  ;D

Hey R there are 2 MDRT's with your name on it !! BTW only 22 million people in Australia, really ??? That's only twice the population of Belgium !!
BTW you gonna love the MP-1 marshall combo, try to hook it up to front input of the Marshall, sound wicked!! Too bad it's a bit noisy.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

Oops! That's my bad  :facepalm:

That's what I get for replying to posts when I'm tired. (Long night at work last night). 50 KHz! What was I thinking??? :???:

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

Now this is not a bad idea, no more 50Hz hum and we could use smaller transformers  ;D

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

Oh I can see I'm not going to live this one down :facepalm:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up