Non ADA Gear > Rack Gear

Switching Preamps in my Rack setup

(1/3) > >>

rabidgerry:
Hello  :headbanger:

So as some of you might now, I own several preamps.  I generally have a few racked at a time, but I don't possess the ability to switch from one to another easily.  Now I could do this with a A/B pedal which I own.  However that's only two at once.  What If I wanted to switch between three?

And even with this, which ever preamp I use, I always have them run into the rest of my setup.  So after preamp the signal will always run into my Rocktron Hush, an EQ, Rocktron Intellipitch and then Boss SX700.

So if I switch preamps I will also need to route the output through the rest of the gear each time I switch.  I have no idea about patch bays, but does anyone know a good solution for trying to achieve what I am after and maintain the highest quality of signal?

bunkyloo:
Gerry, I use a rocktron patchmate the older red one stereo or mono ins and outs. kind of hard to find but works great. the newer ones as far as I can see are only mono. loop 8 I think there called.
the original one is awesome again pretty rare.

MarshallJMP:
Hey Gerry

I still have my rocktron patchmate (the old one), if you want I could sell it to you. Don't use it anymore as I build one myself.

rabidgerry:

--- Quote from: MarshallJMP on April 21, 2020, 09:41:14 AM ---Hey Gerry

I still have my rocktron patchmate (the old one), if you want I could sell it to you. Don't use it anymore as I build one myself.

--- End quote ---

Had a look at the old patchmate.  Looks insanely complicated.  Had a flick through the manual as well.  I failed to see the common output that basically allows you to send what ever loop you have selected to the rest of your equipment at the end of the chain.  Could you explain how it works a bit MJMP  :dunno:?

I have spotted handmade analogue looper pedals for quite cheap.  5 loops, 1 input > send/return for each loop and then a common output.  Now I know what to look for these seem like the solution.  But do I want a floor unit or do I want something in a rack that I can press a button to switch loop??????  I think I probably would prefer the button push as opposed to the foot option.  This is for studio use after all.  Live I have different setup.

Thanks for the recommendations guys  :thumb-up:

rnolan:
Hey RG, you could do it with a mixer and midi patches  :dunno: , e.g. split the guitar signal across all the preamp inputs, return all the preamps to the mixer, run the mixer into the other gear (or use Fx sends/returns) and make a few patches where each preamp is set to what you want for that patch (are al the preamp midi switchable?).  Or use 2 mixers, one to send the guitar signal to the preamps (or make Y leads and use the AB switch (does it do A+B as well?) to feed the preamps).  IIRC you have a couple of mixers so you could potentially do it this way and have patches that basically zero the preamps you don't want etc.  I know this is maybe not quite what you were looking for but you could make it work this way with some fluffing around.Depending on the mixer, if it has channel mutes (like my Behringer UB2442X FX pro which also has 2 x mon sends and 2 x fx sends), I'd run the clean guitar signal into ch1, use Mon sends 1 & 2 to feed 2 x Y leads (provides 4 signals for 4 preamps) but not assign ch1 to any output bus (so you won't hear it), return all preamps to 2 chs each (pan L/R), assign each of these to Fx 1&2 sends to feed your other gadgets (or use subgroups instead but don't send them to the main mix, just use their individual outs), return the other gadgets to chs, then use the ch mutes to turn the preamp returns on/off. I know this is more complicated, but you probably have the stuff to do this already  :dunno: and you can combine preamps (or not).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version