Non ADA Gear > Rack Gear

Boss SX700 - Strange output difference

(1/3) > >>

rabidgerry:
Hello all, seems I only have broken stuff to talk about these days, how frustrating!!  Anyways, I have been using the Boss SX700 for over a year now as my rack effects unit (chorus reverb delay only) and I have to say it's a really good sounding effects unit. It has an analogue thru signal option and allows effects in so many different configurations it confused the hell out of me and was my first introduction to parallel effects.

Anyways the issue is not a big one, but one that bugs me so much that I have very nearly sold the unit and just bought something else.  Alas, playing the unit again over this last week made me think twice as I have just gotten to grips with it and squeezed more quality out of than my initial efforts and I feel it's worth a shot to see what might be the wrong.

Basically one of the outputs (seems to be the left at the minute) is a few db lower than the other side and it could be ignored and I could turn the channel gain up on this side on my multitrack but I have let this issue get to me soooooooo much now I cannot ignore it.

Things I have tried:

swapping cables,
checking other channels on my multitrack in case it was an issue at that side,
taken the unit out altogether leaving my preamp solely into my Intellipitch to see if the anomaly is there,
checking the speaker impulse in case it isn't balanced,
checking the patch outputs are equal on left and right side,

and basically my conclusion is, there is a few db difference between channels on the outputs and I really do not understand why this would be.

Anyone any ideas on what I could do or check or fix the issue I would be very grateful.

Thanks

Gerry

rnolan:
Hey RG, Not to be a d*ck but have you cleaned the jack sockets? I assume you have but you didn't mention it....  Is there any balance settings in the unit?  or it could be the way various FX are sending/receiving e.g. this fx out to that fx in etc and even their operation e.g. L is dry signal, R is wet.

vansinn:
To make sure which side is really the few DB lower, try swapping both inputs and outputs from left to right, that is, left out to right next-device and visa versa. Do inputs and outputs separately and check between each step.
The problem should follow the swapped direction and now manifest itself on that side.

When you've made sure which channel is the culprit, as Nolan says, try cleaning the sockets.
If this doesn't help, open it up, inspect, and if nothing seems obvious, try locating which opamps sits in the signal chain.
If those are in sockets try pulling and reinsert them a couple times; chances are there could be corroded contacts.
If this doesn't help, try re-soldering first input and jacks, and if still no luck, then re-solder the whole circuit board.

Do you know if there are programmable analog potmeter IC's in the signal chain?
If so, those too could be either partially defunct or have a socket/solder problem.

Disclaimer: I have no experience with the SX700, and never seen the schematics.

rabidgerry:
I will find out which channel it is for sure.

There is no balance controls as such, there is a left and right output and they are both evenly set.  Also in bypass the output difference is there.  As I mentioned also it isn't a lot but it's enough to piss me off.

No I have not cleaned the jack outs, but I will.  It definitely seems to be at the out put stage as the input stage seems fine coming from the piece of gear before the boss which is the rocktron intellipitch.

I will clean first guys and report back.

Soloist:
Hello Gerry! Has the SX700 always done this? Or is this a new issue?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version