Non ADA Gear > Rack Gear

Soho Acoustics Qtr-1 tube preamp questions

(1/3) > >>

kawai2g4b:
Okay guys, I tried several forums to gather info on a Soho Acoustics QTR-1 preamp and have had no luck.  It is supposedly almost if not identical to the KittyHawk Quattro preamps.  I need a schematic for it at the very least.  Anyone have any experience with these?

I intend to use this pre with my fuzzes as my seperate stoner/doom/acid rock setup with a little thrash capability thrown in as my MP-1 is not as friendly to fuzz as I thought it would be.

rnolan:
There's some raves here (http://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/Amps/Soho-QTR-1-Preamp-Kitty-Hawk-Quattro/td-p/3463291), from what they are saying it would appear to be a good unit for what you want it for. 4 x 12AX7s so plenty of gain.

kawai2g4b:
Yeah, though I believe mine needs a re-tube, definitely dark and loose sounding.  And it really does sound great with fuzz, really tames and focuses some of my wilder glitch fuzzes...which is what these 80's era designers really intended for it to do.  :o

I'm going to look into some slightly brighter tubes and compare with the Amperex tubes that this thing already has, either way, the clean/crunch mode needs a little more treble prescence.

rnolan:
The Boogie STR 12AX7s would be a good choice IMHO, nice and bright, plenty of gain, low noise, very tight.

kawai2g4b:
I have not made the tube swap yet but I went ahead and hooked my my entire doom/psych/funk/retro pedalboard up to this thing.  First of all, the crunch and clean channels love my pedals with the Mosvalve power amp (not so much the hotter channels, as expected).  This thing is a keeper after all, though a well thought out mod wouldn't hurt.  The past reviews about these are spot on, tone controls are not very flexible but the preamp sounds great anyway, definitely has a Mesa vibe about it and does its part to really project my sound forward.  Right now I am pretty satisfied with it, will try out the Roland GP-8 with it tomorrow  >:D.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version