ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: B200s vs Microtube series  (Read 14317 times)

El Chiguete

B200s vs Microtube series
« on: Time Format »

What makes them different?
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
Re: B200s vs Microtube series
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Well when you come to my place you can try them out,i have a B200S and MT200 and a T100S and a B500.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

:whoohoo!: Power amp heaven  :thumb-up:
From the manual (attached) MT100/200 Hybrid Design: All voltage gain developed by vaccuum tubes. Output current supplied by Mosfets.
T100S: All tube Input and output stages (weighs more than Dantes car LOL), My Carvin TS100 is the same idea (all tube) but half the weight of Dantes car.
B200s: Simple solid early SS amp, not to heavy in your rack, very clean and transparent, not as much heat as all tubes ? (but does get very warm on top)
B500 (MJMP are there variants of the the B500 ?), I suspect very similar to B200s but more power (MJMP correct me if I wrong), again Solid SS amp.
As MJMP says, have a listen
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

RobbHell

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

The ADA poweramps aren't anything to really get excited about honestly unless maybe the T100S or B500G for.sear power. I own a B200S and a friend owns a MT100. Their not bad but not the greatest. Although Lightweight and Compact they sound Very Transparent. I really don't hear much Coloring at all. What goes In gets Powered up and comes out about the same. I prefer Color out of my amps. That's the coolest thing about amps and their design. Each maker has their own Color to the Tone.

Honestly my B200S sits in an all ADA rack with my Microcab and they almost never see the light on day. I keep the B200S around as a light weight solid state backup if I ever pop a Tube. I would Never use it for a gig unless tube didn't work. Granted my EQ  can do some wonders for this amp its a bit on the Thin side when it comes to my taste. Maybe its time to Mod it Lol. I think I've already gotten too carried away with my MP1's.

I'd really like to hear a Bass rig setup and see how they push.

Hey Marshall you ever throw larger caps  power caps in a B200S? Or you leave yours alone?

Another thing is damn to they have a pop when you turn on. Not much unwanted noise other than that. What are your thoughts on pulling out the old transformer and swapping with newer toroidal transformer?

El Chiguete

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

hey dont stop Robb start modding MT100s so I can use those improvements!

custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

RobbHell

« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

If I had one laying around I would tinker on it. Maybe I'll buy my friends just to add to my ADA collection. One of the biggest draws in its one rack space. Makes it hard to add in certain components. I'm trying to find a small 5 way pot to add to the front of my mp1.

kawai2g4b

« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Hey RobbHell, I do have the B500B and B200S hooked up to my MB-1.  Its a very nice and versatile setup.  Since I use mostly active basses I tend to favor clarity.  Both these power amps do a great job of not coloring the already flexible signal from the MB-1.  The B200S doubles as my small venue bass amp when it is not blasting my MP-2.  It may be a matter of opinion on my part but both power amps are well tailored to bass amplification.  If I get my hands on a decent video recorder I may try to film and record my MB-1 rig to gibe you guys an idea.  I sold my SWR and Hartke rigs because of it.

Just out of curiosity, is there a mod to install a presence control on either of these?
Pearce G2R with ADA TFX4 in loop.
ADA MB-1/B500B
And other non ADA stuff.

Kawai AQ-500 guitar, Korean Fender Lite Ash Strat, Electra X930 MPC modded, G&L L2K basses, Peavey T40, Fernandes basses.

RobbHell

« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

I need to give that a shot. I have a Sansamp and 4x15. Usually I use an old Marshall solid state bass amp but I only use it as a power amp. I'll give the B200 a shot. I can see it working great for bass.

kawai2g4b

« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

I definitely would want that.  The lack of one on the B200S is the main reason my I use my Mosvalve power amp over it in anything other than an MP-2 for guitar application.  I have only done small two recent performances in the past year period (church included) on with the bass rig and B200S.  Anything at my church above 200 watts for bass gets blown out of proportion because of how boomy the sanctuary is it filled a need and surprised me.  I really need to try it with my only passive bass though to see if I can get a good old school Cream-style sound with this rig...its an old $60 Guytone short scale mahogany body and neck J bass copy.
Pearce G2R with ADA TFX4 in loop.
ADA MB-1/B500B
And other non ADA stuff.

Kawai AQ-500 guitar, Korean Fender Lite Ash Strat, Electra X930 MPC modded, G&L L2K basses, Peavey T40, Fernandes basses.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

I used a B200s for many years, and very much liked that they just add volume so all my tone was in the MP1 now MP2, great amp.  I had a US TS100 for a bit (now Dante has it), I ran it on a step down transformer, I didn't like it much. I thought about changing the 2 transformes in it, but swaped it with Dante for a US B200s which we put a nice toroidal in and works a treat (if your happy with a good not to heavy kick arse very transparent power amp). (B200s has a good space for a toroidal, a bit of the bolt on top but fitted in rack).
That said, my current Carvin TS100 is a pleasure.  If it has more colour than B200s, it's very subtle... But there is something about valve watts MMMmmmm >:D
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

El Chiguete

« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

...One of the biggest draws in its one rack space. Makes it hard to add in certain components. I'm trying to find a small 5 way pot to add to the front of my mp1.

Maybe to it as a 1.5 rack space or 2 rack space? If it's worth changing because of the resutls you get then do it!!!

custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member