ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Preset change lag  (Read 8872 times)

j4q0

Preset change lag
« on: Time Format »

Hello,

I would like to know if anyone that has used or uses the MP-1 Classic has experienced a time lag between preset changes.
My unit has done this ever since I got it about 10 years ago and although it is annoying I learned how to deal with it while playing live.
Since I never played the original  MP-1 until last year I assumed all ADA preamps did this but to my surprise the original does not have a time lag.

Any one with this problem? Perhaps my preamp is defective? Is there any chip upgrade that could solve this if that is the case?

As always, comments and suggestions are very much appreciated.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Preset change lag
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

The last EPROM for the classic is v1.00 MJMP has them (http://www.marshalljmpmodshop.net/miscellaneous_parts_and_replacement_tubes.htm).  I'm not sure if this addresses the patch change speed but it may well do (Dante ?, MJMP ?).  When you boot it up check the version and if it's not v1.00 then changing the EPROM (not hard to do) to the later version is a good idea.  The last EPROM upgrade for my MP2 included fixes for patch change speed.  When I first got the MP2, it was noticeably slower than my MP1 so I know the frustration you feel, particularly when you need a very quick change from lead to rhythm etc.  The MP2 v1.41 EPROM made a big difference and now it's fine.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

j4q0

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Hi Rnolan,

I just turned on my MP-1 Classic to check the EPROM and it is indeed the v1.00. I wonder if there is anything wrong with it or if that time lag between preset changes is inherent to this unit. Since you said your MP-2 was slower than the MP-1 I can only assume the initial versions of the EPROMs of these had some issues in this topic.

This time lag always bugged me and I wasn't always 100% satisfied with the dist channel and now that I have the 3TM I end up using it exclusively so I might end up selling the Classic, tough decision since the brown channel on the MP-1 Classic is just the best, I just wish it had more gain though... this begs for the question: Any love for a high gain mod for the Classic?   :)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Hey j4q0,
Mmm  :???: , Dante or MJMP may be able to sched more light on the issue, I've never used a classic, I know its got a noise gate, I don't have a manual for it (Dante, I assume you do ?).  I wanted to check if the patch change speed can be changed, the MP2 has two settings (Normal or Fast) for the patch change speed in the MIDI Function Menu. Have you tried an MP2, it has some very warm voices with lots of gain (available), may be an alternative to the classic particularly given you have a 3TM MP1.  As for a high gain mod for the classic, over to MJMP.  You could get a bit more gain by putting in the highest gain tubes you can find, and possibly tweaking the OD1 and OD2 trim pots (not sure how good an idea that would be) but there are trim pots which control the amount of gain in each OD circuit (but could be a recipe for unwanted clipping).  However, nothing quite like adding an additional tube which adds 2 more stages of gain (2 per tube).

j4q0

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

I have the manual, there is no patch speed change. The Classic is almost exactly as the original MP-1 but with the added brown channel, noise gate, stereo fx loop and its recording outputs (which are actually very nice).
I've seen a couple of MP-2 listed on craigslist close to where I live but I'm pondering on the expense of buying another preamp or if the price is right (~$300).

After getting the 3TM and reading about the trim pots and all the little tweaks that can be done to it I looked for trim pots in the classic... no trim pots  ???
Yes, an additional (or a couple) gain stage(s) to the Classic would be just heavenly to be honest.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Another somewhat "out there" idea and something I plan to try with my MP2 and my old MP1 (sold to a friend) is to put the MP1 in the MP2s stereo loop.  This MP1 has the line level input on the back panel so the loop can all operate at line level.  So you could try similar with the 3TM in the classic loop (probably way too much gain  >:D but with some level tweaking might sound good, and, at the least interesting  :thumb-up: ).

I'm surprised there are no trim pots in the classic ? I'm pretty sure there should be, again MJMP will know.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

First ,for me the mp-1 and the classic sound quite different to me,the mp-1 sounds more open,has more gain but is also more noisy.Now the lag was always a problem with the classic,mine has this also.This got more to do with the design i guess,and there's nothing you can do about it.

So why no mods for the classic.Well the tubeboard is solderd to the mainboard and very hard to get out.So swapping it is not easy,with the mp-1 it is actually quite easy.Second there aren't as many classics produced so demand is really low.

Putting an mp-1 in the loop of the mp-2,mmmm don't think that will work.It will be VERY noise and soundwise,i don't know but i guess is will sound like crap.But no harm in trying i guess.

j4q0

« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Yes, both the Classic and the original MP-1 sound quite different, at least in the dist channel. Like I said, I was never really 100% happy with the voicing of the Classic although it definitely gets the job done (and well) and the brown channel is its best feature for sure. Don't care much about the noise gate as I found that with good cables and a guitar well shielded the noise is manageable.

MJMP, Thanks for confirming the Classic's lag. Now I know that the unit is not defective and it is working as it should  :-\

Rnolan, although your idea of using the 3TM in the Classic's loop is interesting I have to agree in that it would be too noisy. In my teen years for some reason I experimented with od or dist pedals in the loop of an amp and I tell you based on experience that it was not a good idea  ;D  I assume doing the same thing with these units would give similar results.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Yeah, I know, it's an out there idea but I'll give it a try when I have time and let you all know how it goes.  I've found the MP2 gate useful for very high gain sounds, even with good cables etc I got squealing in between songs (the rhythm sound I used back then had lots of gain) so I set the gate to stop that.  Other wise I don't use it.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Yes, I'm bumping a 2-year old thread.

I have no lag in my Classic. Not sure why (or why not)

and, I TOTALLLY agree about the Brown channel comments. I can do just about anything with that channel. If there were a way to stack that gain in stages....oh LAWDY

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Hey j4q0,

I have the Classic also which is my favorite preamp of all of them. I don't have a lag in mine when it comes to channel switching. May I suggest you check your MIDI program change assignments in both your controller and the Classic? I do not use the Omni mode for program changes, (all 16 channels), I assign and match each channel to each unit I'm sending to, and I try to avoid MIDI mapping whenever possible.

I agree that the frequencies in the Classic are not as broad as the original MP-1, but going with long plate good quality tubes will help that out a lot. I also have the MP-2, which I've done a lot of tweaking to, but even so, the dynamic response in the Classic still beats out the MP-2 hands down, (IMHO). I've tried a pair of GT 12AX7R-2's in the Classic and found the low end was boosted a bit more in it, but the GT's didn't last very long. I also tried a pair of the Russian made Mullard RI's, and they didn't last either. Good results, but short tube life. Currently, I have a pair of JJ ECC803's in there, and I'm liking what I'm getting, but I'm still experimenting with other brand names. I may try some Pentas in there next since they are kicking my original MP-1 in the a$$! They are a bit pricey, but good tone is worth it to me.

Check your MIDI settings carefully, and get back to me on that one. I'll go review my owners manual in the meantime and see if I can spot anything else in the MIDI section which may affect the program changes.

Harley 8)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!
Pages: [1]   Go Up