ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Greetings from Scotland  (Read 20007 times)

scsibear

Re: Greetings from Scotland
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

Hi Dante

Thanks for the welcome, and the correct pronunciation  :))

Yeah i hope he can suss out what's going on with the unit
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most...

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

Hi Dante

Thanks for the welcome, and the correct pronunciation  :))

Yeah i hope he can suss out what's going on with the unit

I almost wrote it phonetically = Scuzzy Bear  :thumb-up:

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

Hey SB

What software version does it have,you see this at startup,it will display either 1.36,1.37 or 1.38
Normally these V1 eproms have 29 presets so strange you have 31 after the reset?

What input do you use,the front or the back one?

scsibear

« Reply #18 on: Time Format »

Hi Marshall, yeah it's V1.38 on start up, and i've only tried the front face input so far, as regards the presets, this was me trying each one going from 1 to 128.
Some are totally blank (no sound at all) at least one makes a real bad Flanging noise and some just have the exact same tones, however i had a listen to one of the guys mp1 sounds from the forum, it was on the MDRT upgrade thread before he did the upgrade and my unit sounds nothing like that  i wish it did, this is just really nasally and honkey  I suspect that's prolly the tubes needing renewed.
However i think i'll deffi have to send it over to you for a service and an upgrade.

Regards
scsi
« Last Edit: Time Format by scsibear »

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #19 on: Time Format »

Hey scsibear this wasn't my MDRT thread was it and the clips I posted?

Ok change of plans, not playing Edinburgh now, it has been changed to Glasgow!  Played there before so it would have been nice to play Edinburgh just for somewhere new.
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #20 on: Time Format »

Hey scsi, well definitely could do with new tubes and unless the rear jack has been modded (I suspect it hasn't) the rear input is line level, so not a place to plug in the guitar directly.
Sending it to MJMP for a revival/service is a good idea.  I have some ideas re the sound, just guessing and thinking out loud...  I think the front input jack may be worn (as I said before, it takes the majority of the wear and tear over the years).  So rear jack mod will fix that (and at this age it should be replaced anyway). My reasoning is there may not be enough signal hence thin nasal tones. So you reloaded the factory settings ? (1 to 29), the others (30 to 128) are all user slots and who knows what the previous owner(s) put there  :dunno: if anything (hence blank patches).  But you can also overwrite 1 to 29 with whatever you want, I'm assuming right now they are the factory defaults since you did a factory reset which takes the 29 patches from the EPROM and overwrites the user 1 to 29 slots.
So lets try to get patch 1 (Marshall patch) going/tested.  This patch should sound good and full, so try it and let me know how it goes.
So a nasal sound (while it could be lots of things) could be eq settings (but the eq on the factory presets are fine so patch 1 should be good from that perspective).  The flanging you get on the other patch could be chorus settings ?, also there are trim pots for the OD1 and OD2 tube circuits, if they've been changed it could cause gain issues.
Ok just re-read your post and looked up the furman parametric and the Fireface (which is a digital I/O interface for PC recording). So (pls correct me if I'm wrong) you are monitoring through a studio style setup ie going direct from MP1 to I/O to PC ? and then listening through full range speakers so no wonder it sounds nasally  :facepalm: there's way too much top end because the speakers are full range.
The MP1 is designed as a stage preamp to plug into a clean/transparent stereo poweramp driving 2 (or a stereo) guitar cab(s) loaded with 12" guitar speakers (eg 2 x Marshall quad boxes).  All the MP1 patches have the right balance of treble to sound good through a 12" cone (not into the tweeters in full range monitors) so you end up with wayyy too much treble going direct.  To go direct with MP1 most use a cabinet simulator which, apart from other things, basically cuts back the excess treble (eg ADA GCS3, Micro cab etc) to sound the same (similar) to what the cabs sound like.
Now interestingly, the headphone out on the MP1 has a very simple "cab sim" style filter to remove the excess treble so it sounds ok in the headphones (which are also full range). It's not as elaborate and versatile as a separate cab sim but if you run a R/T/S to 2 x T/S lead (stereo jack to 2 x mono jacks (same as an insert lead)) from the stereo headphone out jack to 2 channels on your Fireface (pan one hard left the other hard right) it should sound much better (not as good as power amp and cabs  >:D or as good as decent cab sims) but usable for now.
If you are going to use the PQ3 (personally I don't think you'll need it) I wouldn't put it in front of the MP1, hey you can but not good gain structure, let the MP1 input just get straight guitar.  You could use the PQ3 in the FX loop, as PQ3 is mono it's not so good after the MP1 (MP1 should be run stereo if you can).  The PQ3 is also a preamp so you could run it into the rear line level input, it will have too much gain to run into the front input.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #21 on: Time Format »

Well I think R already answered your questions  :lol:

The 1.38 has only 29 presets.

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #22 on: Time Format »

Hey scsibear,

Actually, a slight correction to Richard's post about direct recording with the headphone output. If I'm not mistaken, in one of the MP-1 manuals, they tell you that you can use the headphone jack to go direct, but they recommend running through an outboard EQ first, and they also give the frequencies to boost or cut to get the cab sim effect. I'll have to go look for it to be able to post the settings.

Harley 8)
I only have two brain cells left, ...and I'm saving them for the weekend!

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #23 on: Time Format »

hmmm strange I record all my preamps using the main outputs direct into my multi-track.  Never had an issue.

Are you guys telling me I should be using the headphone out?  Why?

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #24 on: Time Format »

Hey RG,

If it works for you that way and it sounds good, then it's the right way. There are a lot of ways to do recordings, just like there are a lot of ways to place microphones. All I was referring to was one of the ways ADA offered to get a cab sim recording with the original MP-1 since that was the only model that didn't have a built-in recording output.
   In the end, if the sounds you are getting, are pleasing to your ears, then go for it! The technique doesn't matter as much as the results.
  Harley 8)

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #25 on: Time Format »

Hey RG,

If it works for you that way and it sounds good, then it's the right way. There are a lot of ways to do recordings, just like there are a lot of ways to place microphones. All I was referring to was one of the ways ADA offered to get a cab sim recording with the original MP-1 since that was the only model that didn't have a built-in recording output.
   In the end, if the sounds you are getting, are pleasing to your ears, then go for it! The technique doesn't matter as much as the results.
  Harley 8)

I hear ya Harley!  :)

I just thought that perhaps I overlooked a dedicated recording output using the device.  I would never have thought to use the headphone out unless I was desperate or something, since I wasn't using an amp in my DI setup I always just used the main outs.  Interesting and good to know though that there is the extra option.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #26 on: Time Format »

Hey Harley, I don't recall reading that, I'll give the manual a read (it's been a while).  EL posted a while ago re using the headphone outs as alternate to the main outs.  MJMP told him/us about the filter (caps IIRC) in the headphone circuit which you'd need to take out if you wanted the signal the same as the main outs.  It's pretty basic filtering just to take the top end off a bit (like a basic low pass filter) so the headphones sound ok.  You could achieve a similar effect using eq on your desk/DAW etc.

Hey RG, do you need to eq much when you go direct from main outs ?
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #27 on: Time Format »

Hi Richard,

I'm not 100% certain it is in the manual...I think that was where I saw it. Possibly the V.2.01 manual. I would have to look for it, but that could take a while, since it's been years since I saw that. I remember it was a footnote about the MP-1.

Harley 8)

Just an after thought; it may actually have been in an issue of ADA Trendz
« Last Edit: Time Format by Harley Hexxe »

scsibear

« Reply #28 on: Time Format »

OK let me try to address some of these comments

@RG: yes it was your MDRT Thread with the pix :thumb-up: and even better your not playing Edinburgh, as I'm in Glasgow anyway LOL so i can maybe pop along and see you guys  ;) Just let me know where and when man.

@rnolan: Yep I have been going in from the guitar via the front(TR)  not the rear line in(TRS), I totally agree as regards what and if the previous owner has put patches all over the place including blank ones, lemmie try out 1st patch for ya (Marshall) I'll use a passive and an active...ok Active sounds fine (Warlock with SD Heavy Metal Live Wire2) quite ballsy but could do with some EQ fixing, with the passive (Gibson MIII Deluxe Stock pups) hardly any distortion at all sounds more like the volume has been rolled off..(this is making me think valves here !!)
What your saying about the internal trim pots is also possible who knows if he's been prodding & poking.

When i was listening the 1st time and it was really nasally it was through 400 Ohm headphones in the headphone socket at the back  I see it requires 600 Ohms cans that might explain that one, You are correct as regards FF802 digi interface and it's like a studio setup as you say..However I have not decided as yet if I would be recording direct from the MP1 into the FF802 or just mic up the cab (Pre>50/50 dual monoblock into 4 x 12) I haven't even tried to record it direct or play it through the FF802 yet. I've only tested it via the cans socket and through the main amp & cab. Also I was toying with the idea of getting the two tone live for cab sims via the MP1's fx loop. I see what your saying about the insert Y lead idea and also with the PQ3 about too much gain the PQ3 has  low in and out sockets as well as a high in and outs  this is what the likes of vita Bratta did Low into PQ3 Low out to MP1, lots of options to consider here for sure thanks for the tips on that.

BTW I am ok with a soldering Iron LOL I was looking through as i had mentioned before RG's thread about the new tranny and just kept going with the other mods it actually looks like fun, i'd be quite into that, but wouldn't be sure which mod to start with, given that it may need quite a few it may work out better just posting it to Belgium and getting the lot done in one fell swoop

Harley Hexxe

• Superhero Member
« Reply #29 on: Time Format »

Hey scsibear,

OK, I was combing through the ADA Trendz magazines and finally came across what I was looking for.
    Go to the ADA Trendz section from the Home menu, and look for Vol2-no1, and download the PDF file. When you open it, go to page 9, and the article is there under the heading: Attack of the Killer Tone.

They give a starting reference for using the outboard EQ from the headphone jack to record direct. I never tried it, but hope it works out for you.

Harley 8)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up