ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: My new rig includes an ADA MP1 and I need your help  (Read 22181 times)

Panagiotisrx7

• musicteachers

I lost you with the TNTL (what does it mean?).
Since I do not use cab/s at all and run directly to the soundcard right out of the Palmer, I do not think I can use the Torpedo Cab for this purpose right?

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

After checking this link Micky sent me (http://artproaudio.com/artcessories/mini_mixers/product/splitmix4/) I have a new patching option you could try.  The SplitMix4 is a very versatile little number and perfect for this patching scheme (cost here is $99 AUD), it's passive, no power supply requirement. This patch need 3 or 4 insert leads (Stereo Jack to 2 mono jacks (tip ring sleve (TRS) <> tip sleve (TS))).  The last lead needs to be Stereo jack (TRS) to whatever your sound card input needs (eg stereo mini jack, RCA ??)
So another (probably (definitely IMHO) the best) alternative: MP1 outs A/B to Art splitter in (2 x TS <> TRS) Art 1 vol is then MP1 dry signal, Art 2 out to G Force ins (TRS <> 2 x TS), G Force outs to Art 2 mixer in (2 x TS <> TRS), and Art mixer out to power amp or in your case sound card ins (TRS <> 2 x TS (or stereo mini jack)). So Art 1 vol is MP1 dry, Art 2 vol is G Force,  G Force can (should) be set to full wet and Art vol 3 and 4 turned off (as they will also be MP1 dry if I'm right about the internal patching).  Put the Palmer in the MP1 loop so the cab emulation is done but you get full stereo into your sound card.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Panagiotisrx7

• musicteachers

That seems like a nice approach, thanks.
For the time being unfortunately, I keep the ENGL hooked up in order for any potential buyer to be able to check it asap...so ADA is on stand by waiting patiently the ENGL to be sold and it to take its place and start rocking out while trying different approaches as per your suggestions guys here!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

No worries (endaxi), good luck with the sale, cheers Richard

Panagiotisrx7

• musicteachers

Ευχαριστώ!!!

I am bored to death to switch cables, therefore play with ENGL until it's gone... :(

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

I'll have to get my ex wife to translate, I learnt to speak a tiny bit of Greek over the years but not read and write

Panagiotisrx7

• musicteachers

Ευχαριστώ --> Thanks ;-) - Efharisto
Σε ευχαριστώ --> Thank you (singular) - Se efharisto
Σας ευχαριστώ --> Thank you (plural) - Sas efharisto
« Last Edit: Time Format by Panagiotisrx7 »

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

OOpps, that's a very basic one - and one I'm quite particular about, as Greeks seem to loose please and thank you in their conversations .....peracilo...effcharisisto... ;)

brianiac5150

• This Hate of Mine

I lost you with the TNTL (what does it mean?).
Since I do not use cab/s at all and run directly to the soundcard right out of the Palmer, I do not think I can use the Torpedo Cab for this purpose right?

TNTL = Two Notes Torpedo Live

You certainly use the CAB or Live to do everything - and a whole lot more than - the Palmer does.  I've heard the Palmer products are excellent, as well,though.
THoM Faceb**k
ADA MP-1 Original

Panagiotisrx7

• musicteachers

Even though the ENGL remains unsold, I hooked up the ADA again and constantly play with it.
The sound I am getting is really good for my taste.
I feel though that there's more potential.

In order to further explore that, what would your suggestions be?
I am thinking of a BBE maximizer or an equalizer.
What do you think?

If we go the equalizer way, should that be a graphic one or a parametric one?

Thanks

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Personally, I wouldn't use either but there seems many here who like the BBE, I've never tried one nor feel the need, my MP1 was fantastic and did all I needed and more, my MP2 is even better and while it has a graphic eg built in I don't use it much at all.  If you went for an eq, I'd use a graphic (7 band is heaps although 15 band are more common).  Parametric eqs provide more control (boost/cut, centre frequency, width (notch/shelf)) where the graphic is set except for boost/cut and parametric generally give you less bands eg 4 band (high, high mid, low mid, low) to cover the frequency range.  The other thing with eq is they all sound different (some great, some ok, some terrible).

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net

I would go for an eq,never really liked a BBE.A parametric eq isually a bit better to get the right sound,but a graphic is also nice.I use a ADA MQ-1 in my rig and these are also very good but a bit hard to find.

Panagiotisrx7

• musicteachers

Any eq suggestions (parametric and/or graphic) at a reasonable price?

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

The ADA MQ1 would be a perfect choice, the eq centre frequencies are designed for guitar, I've not used one but all reports here are they are very good (if you can find one). There are many eqs around, I seem to remember one of the guys posted he had a Behringer eq he liked although Behringer gear has lost it's lustre a bit lately IMHO.  DBX (eg DBX 215) make some good graphics at a reasonable price, I paid ~$180 AUD for a dual 15 band not the best I've heard but good for the price but the centre frequencies are ISO standard which suits PAs etc ie not tailored for guitar (and are line level devices). Steve (RandallRG) likes his 6 band MXR, I've always liked MXR pedals, I had a MXR phase 45 as my first ever pedal. Another option is use the eq in your G Force ??  My mates got a G Major and he says its got parametric eq built in.  Maybe post the question in the effects area and see what the other guys have played with.

Panagiotisrx7

• musicteachers

G Force indeed has some EQ filters, but i wasn't really digging their impact.
Will surely tweek them more to see if i can avoid getting another unit.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up