ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Herby's attemt @ SS Mod, Noise Mod, MDRT Mod  (Read 48685 times)

herbyguitar

Re: Herby's attemt @ SS Mod, Noise Mod, MDRT Mod
« Reply #45 on: Time Format »

A couple of questions: MP1

1) Anyone know where "flat" is on the MP1? Is it @ 0, 0, 0, 0, or is it somewhere else?

2) Is this all I need to change the bass center point? (replace R168 (5k1) with a 10k trimpot). I found that in another thread. I'd like to move the point down off the low mids and more into the bass area. Maybe around 80 hz (thoughts) ???
I can do this with a parametric but it would be more effective to also alter the bass frequency middle point.
« Last Edit: Time Format by herbyguitar »
Jack of all trades. Master of none.
Gear List: Hell, it changes too fast to keep up with.

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #46 on: Time Format »

A couple of questions: MP1

1) Anyone know where "flat" is on the MP1? Is it @ 0, 0, 0, 0, or is it somewhere else?

2) Is this all I need to change the bass center point? (replace R168 (5k1) with a 10k trimpot). I found that in another thread. I'd like to move the point down off the low mids and more into the bass area. Maybe around 80 hz (thoughts) ???
I can do this with a parametric but it would be more effective to also alter the bass frequency middle.

1) 0 is flat / noon

2) check Step 10 in the Mod3.666 instructions This lets you fine-tune all Treb/Mid/Bass circuitry in the MP-1 individually to your desired sweet spots

herbyguitar

« Reply #47 on: Time Format »

When I set my OD1 to 10 the OD1 light in front stays lit. Is this supposed to stay lit with this much gain? I've never set it this high before so I don't know. I also get a very slight 'after' squeak or squeal on some notes. I never noticed this before either, but then again, I've never played on 10 before. It was always too muddy to go this high.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #48 on: Time Format »

Yes that could be, now as soon as the led goes on there is no added gain anymore, it get's compressed with diodes. More gain will give more chance on getting feedback.

herbyguitar

« Reply #49 on: Time Format »

Something is strange. Yesterday I posted about the OD1 LED. Today I tried to get it to light up but couldn't. It would not light. No idea why...
---------------------
Today I ordered a trim pot to enable me to adjust the bass frequency center...
---------------------
I'm getting a kick butt killer high gain tone from this MP1. I haven't done a lot of experimenting yet. So far I'm still working on high gain. (OD1_10, OD2_10, B_6, M_6, T_6, P_6). Bass is still loose but much better than it was stock. With some concentration and technique I'm able to tame it. Gonna have to work on my right and left hand string muting.

This is interesting because I'm learning that the tone is connected to the circuitry. Changing the circuitry will also change the characteristics and tone. "A fine line". I don't want to change the characteristics of the preamp too much. If I do I'll lose the reason I love it. So far it's been a positive endeavor.

I realize when I change the tubes I'll no doubt have to alter my playing to compensate for the added complexity that the tubes will insert into the mix. Tone is everything to me. Dealing with it is a challenge I accept. Hopefully the added trim pot will enable me to tune the bass to behave better.

herbyguitar

« Reply #50 on: Time Format »

Tubes came today. 'Tad' went in V1 and 'Mullard' went in V2. This setup is much hotter than the JJs I had. More gain.

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: Time Format »

Tubes came today. 'Tad' went in V1 and 'Mullard' went in V2. This setup is much hotter than the JJs I had. More gain.
...and way more complex yet articulate and defined I assume ;)

herbyguitar

« Reply #52 on: Time Format »

Yes it is more complex. The JJs are a tighter sounding tube but they're rather flat sounding. It's looking like I can't have it both ways. I either choose articulate or complex... The MP1, as it is now, has a killer and complex tone but it's not tight unless I play relatively clean with OD settings under 5. The lower I go the tighter it becomes, which is not really a bad thing especially for a strat but it does limit its usefulness. As a comparison my 1101 can produce a 'sickly' tight response but it sounds rather flat.

Bass trim pot is in the mail so I can't work with it yet...

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #53 on: Time Format »

What I found when I changed from Boogie STRs (re-branded JJs) to Mullard long plates in my MP2 was:
Didn't fart on the bottom E (~82hz) as it did with the JJs
Any ever so slight change in left hand fingering pressure (and position between the frets (and I'm talking very very slight) was clearly articulated (very 3D)
A nice balance across the frequency spectrum, the JJs were on the middy side and quite 2D.

I was an instant convert, however, the JJs had the best feedback  :thumb-up:

Playing with max gain (ODs on 10 & 10) will be a new world, it's ultra sensitive and you need to learn taming techniques.  I learn't them early using a 73 Marshall turned up as loud as it would go.  The MP1 is much easier to tame, but hi gain is what it is  >:D
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

herbyguitar

« Reply #54 on: Time Format »

How did you get it to not fart (open E)? Mine farts badly unless I turn the gain down to about 5. I've played through Marshalls before and they are much easier to tame than my MP1 but the MP1 has a much better overall tone. Especially with the tube swap. I've been playing for a very long time and I don't think my technique is that lacking.

It reminds me of an overdriven Mesa. Chords are killer and single (upper register) notes are extremely musical but lower notes suck.

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: Time Format »

Easy workaround....re-adjust the Trimpot. Set OD1 to 10 and chugg. Adjust the trimpot so the OD1 light ocaasionally lights up while heavy chugging E5 powerchords.
Very simplified: OD1 is "Drive" and OD2 is "Saturation"
The farting you mentioned is probably U4 getting too much input

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #56 on: Time Format »

Hey SC, good advice  :thumb-up: .

I never had any issues with my MP1 when I had it.  In all the years I gigged with it I only did one tube swap and put in some Boogie STRs (JJs) which worked fine.  When I finally did a tube swap in my MP2 I initially put in a pair of Boogie STRs as I could buy them locally.  When I cranked it up at a rehearsal is when I had the issue on the bottom E, it didn't so much fart  :dunno: just broke up.  I'd ordered some Mullard LPs and put them in as soon as they arrived, and it was just soo much better, but that's for how I play.

herbyguitar

« Reply #57 on: Time Format »

I installed the trim pot as per instructions. I can rotate the pot and hear the bass frequency shift. It works as it's supposed to 'but' now I have serious issues. The volume went way up and there's intermittent static. Also the volume knob on the front of the unit does not work. It's like the unit is set to full volume. All I did was take out the small resistor and replace it with a trim pot modified as per instructions. I also installed the bottom cover which was not in place the last time I tried the unit. That's all I did. Anyone have any clue as to what happened?

Huge "Brain Fart"  :facepalm:  I had something hooked up wrong. My bad. I hooked the MP1 back into the rack without testing it first (stupid). It's all "Good".

Set the bass trim pot around 100Hz. Much better. I reduced the highs and boosted the presence and it cleared up pretty good. Then I put all gains on 10 and it stayed articulate. No external EQ.

I hooked up my 1101 and ran config (6) in stereo. Now I have both the MP1 and the 1101 running stereo. Things are looking pretty good. I think I'm done   :banana-guitar:

Now to put everything back together and start setting up my presets   8)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #58 on: Time Format »

Good news for modern man  :thumb-up:

herbyguitar

« Reply #59 on: Time Format »

Well, I'm having a good time with the new setup. The mods did clean up the low end but the new tubes reversed the process somewhat.

A little experimenting and I've narrowed down my search for the culprit. I started with The MP1 OD 1 & 2 set to 5.0. All EQs set to 6.0. I then set a medium band on the parametric @ 2KHz. Cut -6db and started panning down until I hit 850Hz. Here's where things started to clean up significantly. Going lower didn't help any. it actually made it worse again. Once @ 850Hz I selected a narrow band. As This opened up the sonic goodness a bunch. I experimented going higher and lower but 850Hz seems to be the best place and a -6db cut seems to be a good choice also. It's right on the edge between tonal quality and clarity.

As for the new tubes: Systematic Chaos said I'd like the combo and he was right. The TAD is a hot and nasty (in a good way) tube. Mullards are a very good choice for V2 but, as rnolan stated several times, They're not very forgiving. When you're 'ON', they're extremely kick ass. When you're 'OFF'... let's just say they don't play well with inaccuracies.

I did also notice something else with this combo of tubes. With a little technique, they have an odd way of making an off note sound good... but the noise is back and the farting low end is more pronounced.

Waiting on 3 short AC chords so I can batten down the hatches in the rack...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13   Go Up