Non ADA Gear > Speakers & Cabinets

Weirdest Request Ever - 3 speakers in a 4x12

<< < (2/2)

Dante:
Thanks for posting this! I have heard of other guys running 3 speakers in their 4x12s but always wondered about how to wire them up. I may try this with my EV and two Celestions. I can put one of the other Celestions in my 1x12 cab after taking out the EV.

Very cool.

McLeanAB:
I know!  It's very cool...

Money is tight, so it's great not to have to buy two more speakers to fill it out... the 4x12's were a big experiment anyway, so it's great to move forward with that mindset...

And yeah, the 'openness' of the 4x12 with the one vacancy is almost 'loose' feeling/sounding compared to the compressed sound with all four speakers there... I much prefer it... I always felt like I was compensating with volume to combat what my ears were perceiving as compression - which I'm sure some folks love...

Dante, let me know how it goes! 

I was also a little shocked at how fun the MOW and Greenies work together... very interesting... the Greenies are much more smooth or, for lack of a better work, sophisticated, and the MOW's much more raw...

Dante:
This is gonna be a fun project, and I need to paint my grill, so I'll be taking it apart anyway....

I'm going to try this 3-speaker arrangement with 1 EV Force (150w/8ohm full range speaker) and two Celestion G12F 60 Rockdriver Jrs (I think) that are in the cab. I can't find a lot of info on the Celestions online. I think they were proprietary to H&K.

I have a question; what would be the best arrangement for this? Should I put the two 60w speakers in the bottom and put the EV up top with the open hole? I suggest this because the EV sounds pretty bright by itself.

One thing that interests me, is to mic the hole versus a speaker, and to compare the speakers themselves. I may pick one speaker to mic, or mix two, or mic the hole.  :dunno:  Just gonna go on ears & see what sounds best

Systematic Chaos:
Get 2 pieces of decent multilaminate/plywood from your local wood supply store/Home Depot and make a new/2 new baffles, single 12"" hole bottom center, 2 12" holes top. EV in the bottom, Celestions (the Celestion/H&K OEM Rockdriver 60s are variants of the V30) top.
Maybe some cutouts on the outer bottom half to make it ported so it can breathe some...

Dante:
NO GO.

Here's why: http://adadepot.com/index.php?topic=1848.msg20803#msg20803

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version