Non ADA Gear > Speakers & Cabinets

Weirdest Request Ever - 3 speakers in a 4x12

(1/2) > >>

McLeanAB:
Okay...

It's gets even weirder...  Like most of us, I get caught in a financial slump and still love to play around and make due with all the fun gear I have... so...

What I have now is two 4x12 cabs... one is loaded with 4 25watt, 16ohm Celestion Greenbacks.  The other has two 8ohm 120watt Emience Man O Wars... I yanked out the two Celestion CREAMbacks and put them in my Theta Combo and Vector cab to replace the Eminence for fun and it sounds amazing...

So right now, both cabs are wired mono at 16ohms each.  Eventually, I'd love two more Eminence to fill out the other 4x12... but until I get the cash to do so, I'm wondering how feasible/safe it would be to put three speakers in each cab?  Two Greenbacks and one Man O War?  How the hell would I wire that???  Series?  Just one speaker after the other?  I know the ohm rating total would be something crazy (an odd number of some sort), but as long as it's somewhere between 4 and 8 ohms, the Stealth power amp should be fine... if this is even possible with the HUGE difference in watt ratings between speakers, I'll confirm with Buck at ISP about what the Stealth can handle...

Any thoughts, other than I'd be crazy to try?

The Man O Wars actually compliment the Greenbacks quite nicely, so I figured I'd mix 'em up and see what we get... help a brother out!!!

MarshallJMP:
Well it can be done, if you put the 2 greenback in parallel, this will give 8 ohms, then you can either put the eminence in series which will give you 16 ohms, or all 3 in parallel which will give you 4 ohms. So no crazy impedance's  :D

As for loudness, the eminence will be as loud as the 2 greenbacks together.

Systematic Chaos:
Laboga has a 3x12 Cab (http://www.laboga.pl/en/312a-b#description). You basically wire 2 16ohms speakers in parallel (=8ohms) and then go to the 3rd speaker which is 8ohms in series = 16ohms total in mono.

Kim:
While the 4x12-into-3x12 cabs might be a good idea, I'd be sure to cover the unused 4th hole to maintain the original acoustic integrity of the box. 

McLeanAB:
You guys rock!

Got home from teaching, opened the cabs up, and followed the diagram... 8ohm MOW on top outside of both cabs, 16ohm Greenback on the top inside of both cabs, other Greenies on the bottom outside...  sounds AMAZING...

I did a little reading on what some call 'detuned' cabs... meaning, one 12" speaker in a 2x12 housing, or 3 in a 4x12... lots of folks like the open hole for some 'air.'  Have to say, I agree... sounds less 'compressed.'

LOVE IT... nice to know it's running at 16ohms so no danger of blowing anything up...  so... my next questions... the MOW are 120 watts, and the Greenies are 25 watts... what is the total per cab?

THANK YOU!  Everything sounds so even and clean now!!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version