Non ADA Gear > Speakers & Cabinets

MP-1 Speaker Suggestions

(1/4) > >>

Ludachris0606:
I'm thinking of swapping out my speakers in my Marshall Cab.. so what speakers have you guys had good/great results with that works with the MP-1 well?

I'm currently running through a newer marshall cab with the stock celestion g12t-75s.. sounds great for heavier passages but seems to lack any singing harmonics quality for hard rock/80s type leads. I'm leaning toward a vintage voiced speaker that plays "smooth mids" if that makes sense.

Some speakers I'm considering are G12-65 heritage, vintage g12-65 or g12t-75 (from original JCM800 Cab), g12h30s, Scumbacks, Maybe greenback flavored (but would be overpowered wattage wise)

Main Rig
Yamaha Pacifica HSS w/ EMG-81(Bridge)》Furman》ADA MP1》TC G Major》Peavey 50/50 Power amp》Marshall 1936 2x12 Cab w/ Stock G12t-75 (2013 plywood model)

I know the guitars not the greatest, I'm saving up for a customized HSS Strat or Charvel.. but doesn't seem to contribute to this issue based on other rigs I've played it through.
Let me know if have any insight or suggestions!

Slimjim:
I have the 81 pup in my Strat copy, the MP-1, and the 50/50, but I am not a session player who has to cover drums with full volumes. My opinions are of what sounds best to me, and what I enjoy with a SM57.

Alnico Blue. The first word to come to my head is 'note bloom'. Why is that? Is that the best I can describe it? To me, a speaker pretty much IS the amplifier. They actually perform with an amp, and the Blue is the most outspoken 'performer' of any speaker I have tried. Small fortune, yes. Low wattage, yes. Sometimes these negatives outweigh any pluses.

Alnico Gold, said to be its high watt brother, is more of an average performer. I would say the Gold is close to a Vintage 30, minus the bottom end.

You have your rhythm tone, high gains and mid scooped chuncking down some grooves but for solos I use an alternate patch, mids centered, and volume pushed. Treble and Pres are identical on both patches. EQ (or boost, etc) pedals are often used with great results... but I'm an admitted pedal snob and wanted to hear all of these speaker voices for myself. In hindsight, a simple EQ pedal might have been the straight forward solution.

Greenbacks are now available in 4 flavors.
-G12M (Heritage 20W)
-G12H (55) (Heritage 55Hz bass cone 30W) (Hendrix)
-G12H (75) (Heritage 75Hz 30W) (less bass)
-G12M Greenback (Reissue 25W)

I think you will like these a lot, with the 55Hz and the Reissues as standouts.

The Cream 65s are loaded with bass, they are my most thunderous speakers. I use them for the Mesa because no where else did I require that level of smash. If you played Stratocaster single coil pickups exclusively, the Creams would appeal to you for entirely different reasons. I tried to reply as though I were an 81 user, enjoyed high gain, and rock/metal (coincidentally, that's me).

vansinn:
Here's a pretty cool thread with comparison vids on various speakers, tested against oneanother in the same environment:
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/showthread.php?t=316771

The dude has other interesting test/comparison vids on his youtube profile..

Griphook:
I also use G12H-75 for my live Setup, miced up with an AUDIX I5. I really like that sound. My Cab has on side opened and the other one closed. That's also a thing to consider.

For my home rig I have a closed 2x12 G12k-85 Cabinet.
I also like that ones too. They are a bit warmer and they deliver a little more pressure, due to the completely closed cabinet. I like them more for their Clean- and Low-Gain Response

MarshallJMP:
You could also check out this shootout of 27 celestion speakers done by Johan Segeborn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skfVh5qagoo

Maybe put in a mix of different speakers in the cab.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version