ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anybody knows about the JOYO DualKlonz??  (Read 5148 times)

Chucky

• Long Live JURRRRIIIIIIE!!!!

Okay guys!!

Just want to tell you about one of the greatest purchases I did in my whole life!!  :banana-upsidedown:

Like really.

This is a rather unknown amp...Or may I say AMPS!

I stumbled upon these through a friend and started researching the subject far and wide.
Happens that 2 italian dudes had the idea to design a "multipath" amplifier that would basically
morph itself into any amp out there just like most of the modeling amps "à la" Kemper, Fractal AxeFx and Helix...
Only it is all analog and all tube.
No digital mimickery in here!!!
But at that time the amp was still not in production.

Story short, after producing their first few prototypes, the italian guys tried funding their
soon to become company through a Kickstarter campaign that...Failed!!  :'(

Through the Kickstarter they still got seen a bit and a follower connected them with Joyo
(Yeah I know: Chinese company) to get their idea in production and onto the market.
I found the italian designers on Faceb**k, befriended them and started asking questions
directly to them (Instead of salesmen and marketing geniuses...)
Turns out that Andrea (The actual tube savvy guy that designed the amp) confirmed to me
that JOYO does an excellent job at building his amp.
So I started hunting one down.
Eventually I stumbled upon a demo DualKlonz from some store in Wisconsin.
Bought the thing while I was still in Morocco and waited for my gig to be over so I could
come back in Canada and retrieve it from the postal address I have in the USA.

So here's mine at a gig last week... You will notice the MP-1 is still part of my rig.  :thumb-up:

This amp is the shit!!
It's quite similar to the MP-1 in some ways... Where the idea of the MP-1 was to cover most of
your tonal needs through an all analog path, providing cleans, edgy and heavily saturated tones
out of the same unit.

The difference with the DualKlonz is that you cannot save patches and EQs.
But you can pick amp circuits from Fender, through Marshall, Mesa, Soldano, Voxes and all.
They also supply three pairs of output tubes, EL34, 6L6 and EL84 so you can get closer to the original amp.
This is a 2 channel amp, with one vintage channel and a modern one.
You also can switch to 2 different cabs (With the provided footswitch or through MIDI).
So, say, you could run a Fender Twin circuit on your vintage channel and run that to an open cabinet
while using a JCM800 tone in your modern channel routed to a 4 x 12 closed cab.

The idea of this amp is not to switch between 15 amps during a show more than letting you
carry hundreds of amps anywhere you want. Studio gigs comes up to mind first.
But I already did a few gigs with it and it's really amazing.
I choose 2 basic amps for my crunch/clean slate and cover the middle ground with a few stomp boxes.

The amp can run with bluetooth with a phone application to switch the inside relays and reroute the circuits
to your liking.
There are a few dozens of classic amps configurations already set-up in the app.
But you can also "build" your own amps by routing the signal through the components you want.
So you could, say, run the preamp of a vox AC-30 and add an extra preamp tube in the circuit and then
run it through the power stage config of a Marshall Plexi with EL34 tubes in the sockets and run this into your favorite cab.
How custom can it get??

...and remember, just like the ADA stuff: ALL analog signal path!!

Here's a review video...Before I make my own!!  ;D

« Last Edit: Time Format by Chucky »
EMGs suck my energies.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
Re: Anybody knows about the JOYO DualKlonz??
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Just watched the review - very nice. Very. Nice.

Is there any delay when changing the preamp 'voice' or the power amp emulator? Just curious, I don't expect to find one of these anywhere.

Chucky

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Just watched the review - very nice. Very. Nice.

Is there any delay when changing the preamp 'voice' or the power amp emulator? Just curious, I don't expect to find one of these anywhere.
First, you cannot call it a power amp emulator...As it is an actual hard wired power amp with a bunch of different circuits you can change from one another.
The switching between both channels are seamless, obviously.
But when loading a new preamp, there can be a short lag up to almost 2 seconds of nothing depending from which amp you go to another one...Because of all the relaying and re-biasing that's happening.

This is a much more complete and in depth video about the amp if you want to watch.
You get the birth story and all...
EMGs suck my energies.

Chucky

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

You can also hear it LIVE on here...Even though the sound quality isn't top notch.
Not all phones are created equal!

EMGs suck my energies.

Chucky

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Here's another snippet of an original...
DualKlonz amp.
Fun.
EMGs suck my energies.

vansinn

« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

I saw review of these a while ago, but forgot all about them since..
Then again, still no options for playing at all, so gear whoring isn't on the agenda ;)  [SIC]

Cool playing, Chucky!
Pages: [1]   Go Up