ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Lets get Technical > All Things Tube All about preamp and power amp Tubes.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Les Paul from Jimmy Page Guitar Shop  (Read 19487 times)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Les Paul from Jimmy Page Guitar Shop
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

Finally finished deleting spam and associates users so I can finally reply.
Wow the 53 looks nice, big price tag though. The 2012 '59 Yamano looks allot like mine, though not Page'd LOL. And it's here in Canberra, so if you wanted I could probably check it out for you ?. Apparently mines a #1 rep not #2 and only 850 made, RRP new was $16k, I think (and the more I think about it the more sure I am) I saw this guitar in Adelaide back in 2006/7 as it was sold by the guitar shop I went in for a look back then to this collector. I remember it was in locked in a glass case and had big price tag (I just drooled  :P ). And it found me LOL.
Didn't get to sleep until 4am (again), I can't stop playing this thing  >:D
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

gtmm

« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

"Didn't get to sleep until 4am (again), I can't stop playing this thing"

Ha. :lol: I know what you mean. The Yamano does look similar to yours, but I like the flame and finish on yours better. I had no idea the original pricing on the Page reps. were that high. Crazy! It's always real nice when a guitar finds you for half the new price.  :amaze:

Thanks for the offer to check out the Yamano, but I'm gonna be pushing my budget just getting new tubes and having my frets leveled and dressed.

Have fun!!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

Tubes you have to buy, frets level and dress you can pay for or do it yourself, happy to talk you through it (yes experience helps, but you have to start some where, as I did years ago LOL), hey it's not that hard... and start conservative!! Thing I always found, is I know what I like/want, conveying that to a guitar tech/Luthier it's easier to do it yourself and not that hard (so if you want, happy to talk you through it)  :thumb-up:

gtmm

« Reply #18 on: Time Format »

That would be great! Thanks for the very generous offer!

I have looked at a lot of tutorials on the net, and it doesn't seem to be a big deal. But then I look at the prices of some essential tools, like a radiused sanding block, and wonder if it's worth doing it myself.

Of course, in the long run it would be best to buy the essential tools, improvise the rest, and get good at it. My LP still plays nice, no buzzing or choking, etc., pretty amazing considering it sat in a closet for almost 16 years -- and I haven't even tweeked the neck yet.  :lol:

Right now I'm still wiring up the last of my gear and getting my room set up -- should be done by tomorrow. :whoohoo!: And today was the first I've played since the dog incident  :( , so I'm in no hurry 'cause my fingers are far behind my guitars' abilities right now :lol:; I just know all my guitars will need some attention once I get rolling.

I'll definitely let you know which way I go. Right now I'm tending towards doing it myself, and if I do I would greatly appreciate your advice.  :thumb-up:

I want to hear your Page rep. in middle position!!  8)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #19 on: Time Format »

I'll post a sound clip soon  :thumb-up: . You can buy all the new(er) paraphernalia like radius ed sanding block, but you don't "need" it.
Here's what you need (old school):
A dead flat (12" ish)  bastard file, so take a straight edge and check all the files in the hardware store until you find one that's dead flat. But this is if you need to level frets (get the dips out etc) and then you need to to fr-round the frets so there is just a thin (flat across all the frets) ~1/32" in the centre of the fret (old schools use slim taper rat tail files and mask the board in case you slip LOL). But lets leave fret leveling to another conversation. The bastart file is also good to file down your nuts so only half the string sits in the slot (or you lose sustain from to much nut) (I've got a very old Ibenez set of fret/nit files to do the fret rounding but they are fixed widths)
Some 1200 wet/dry paper (you can use 000 steal wool but mask off PUs as the metal shavings end up there), I prefer 1200 paper (wash you hands a bit LOL)
Decent fingerboard oil (I use the Jim Dunlop, it's ok there used to be better but no more it seems), DON'T use lemon oil on rosewood/ebony (unfinished boards), it has water in it and makes the grains lift, also leaves a horrible white residue on the board (although it's good to clean the lacquered parts of the guitar, I don't use polish, just lemon oil to clean it).
Trus rod adjuster (Gibson socket for LP, appropriate allan keys for other guits (& bridge saddle bits)).
New strings, good tuner (preferably strobe (e.g. Peterson Stroboclip (best $75 AUD I ever spent BTW)), small flat blade and small phillips head screw drivers. 10 mm ring spaner (or small shifter (tighten top nuts on machine heads (gentle BTW l!!!)))
A cloth for the finger board oil, a cloth for polishing, string winder and side cutters. That's it for setups.
A basic set up that doesn't involve fret level:
Prepare to do set up (most of these adjustments are to taste/playing/what you! like):
Measure the neck relief (all necks need a little bow as the strings spin in a circle), press down bottom E at fret where it joins the body and 1st fret, (this makes a straight edge between the tops of those frets) check hight above 5,7, 9 frets, should be no more than a businesses card above the 7th fret (now this is taste/playing, I like my boards very flat (so half a business card), if you play hard hitting bluegrass you need more clearance). BTW this measurement has to be done at full tension, so do it first. (you can adjust the neck relief now if the new strings are same gauge) loosen strings a bit before tightening trus rod and bring back to pitch and meaure, go no more than 1/4 turn each time till is right (this is IM Experience unusual, but if the neck needs to go the other way loosen the trus rod (BTW all fret leveling is normally done with trus rod totally slack and no strings))
Diss-guard old strings (I loosen them (leave the machine heads perpendicular/vertical (so they don't foul the stringwiner) and the string holes ready for new strings (aimed to the respective nut slot)) and cut them around the 10th fret so they are easy to get off, and enough to coil tidily for the bin).
Get a bit of 1200 paper fold it up and dress the board (if you have mapple board, mask it off with masking tape as it's lacquered...), just run it up and down to polish the frets and (to some extent the board). Idea here is to dress/polish the frets a bit and clean crap off the board (go with the grain BTW, nut to body, not side to side).
Wipe off with cloth (wood/metal dust). Oil board and let it drink (my new JPP LP took 3 long drinks), when the board is oiled (doesn't want any more), whipe it off with FB cloth (I also use to spred oil into as close to fret etc to get best coverage).
Clean guitar (I use lemon oil sparingly on cotton cloth). You can do this while the FB oil is soaking in.
For LP (Floyed stringing is in other thread), by now the string end block is probably off the guitar (clean/polish). If it wasn't all the way to the body, now's a good time to wind those screws down as far as they go (better string break over the saddles = more sustain (though some like it spongy  :crazy: ), & same for the nuts string break (reason why fenders got string trees LOL)).
So whack all your new strings into the end block (much easier when it off the guitar), re-fit it and string it up (on LP I go first turn over the top, and three turns (for bottom strings, more for top)) under (helps string break over nut). This also clamps the string to stop slip.
So tune up, stretch strings etc, check neck relief again, if it feels nice (regardless of action at this point), good ball park. Otherwise gently adjust (small, 1/8, 1/4 turn).
Then adjust action (you can measure (with 6 inch metal ruler with /64ths), 3/64 treb, 5/64 bass), I wind them down till they buzz to much and then take them back up till it's acceptable (so as low as I can get it for my playing style, and I play quite hard BTW).
Then Intonation, you need to re-tune between all these steps (I'm sure you've realised), so open note (or 12th fret harmonic (open note is better BTW)) compared to 12th fret (fretted note) (adjust bridge saddle horizontal position with screw driver), longer string lowers 12th ft note, shorter string = higher 12th fret note, so intonate each string until they are good (same/in tune) (so will now play in tune in the 12th position and above..)

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #20 on: Time Format »

Wow - that's  beautiful axe, Richard. Merry Christmas to you!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #21 on: Time Format »

Hey Dante, thanks, and so good to hear from you my friend, (you buggered off and didn't tell us  :facepalm: , how the relocating going ??).
Man this guitar is something else, haven't got to bed before 4 am for over a week, can't stop playing it..mmmm

Zilthy

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #22 on: Time Format »

Wow!  That is one pretty guitar!  I am glad that you are enjoying it!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #23 on: Time Format »

Hey Zilthy, the last thing I did after bringing it home and it was now the next day sunrise (need to go to bed LOL) was to take off the pick guard, and what a moment, the tiger stripes mmmm. Funny, when I'm playing it I can't see any of that, JPP #1 shaved neck, very (very) nice to play.

WAR_in_D

« Reply #24 on: Time Format »

Man, that's nice... I have a love/hate relationships with Les Pauls.  :lol:  But I have a real soft spot for figured tops and just naturally beautiful wood on a guitar.  That one looks really nice and I'm sure plays just as well.

I've owned several LP's and sold them.  The tricky thing about them is the neck profiles, and they can vary so much between guitars even within the same model.  My feelings toward a guitar can live or die with how the neck feels.  Where I live, there isn't much opportunity to try out very many in person, so when I get the hankering to actually buy one it has to be pretty much sight unseen and you're relying on the sellers description and pictures, etc..  More than once I've been disappointed when it arrive, and didn't keep it long.

Nice guitar there though, and with the shaved neck I'm sure the profile is to die for.   :thumb-up:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #25 on: Time Format »

I like it more and more each day. I'm the same with LP necks, this is the first LP I've liked the neck on. It has such a slim neck it doesn't feel like any other LP I've played. I wasn't in the market for a new guitar, this one just became a have to have. I didn't even plug it in until after I'd got it home and set it up.
So it's a 59 reissue of the JP#1 which page bought from Joe Walsh and has a slimmer neck (from what I've read) than the later JP#2. So I think you'd like the neck profile though they're not cheap, I saw one on evil bay with dings going for $14,500 US  ouch. And it's no ware near as pretty.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #26 on: Time Format »

I've owned several LP's and sold them.  The tricky thing about them is the neck profiles, and they can vary so much between guitars even within the same model.  My feelings toward a guitar can live or die with how the neck feels.

I couldn't agree more. Each guitar - regardless of brand or model..not just LPs - is subject to this. If it feels good, buy it. I hate buying guitars sight-unseen, but I have been pleasantly surprised by a couple of online purchases too, one of which is my Les Paul copy Ibanez that weighs as much as my car :thumb-up:
« Last Edit: Time Format by Dante »

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #27 on: Time Format »

Hey Dante, nice axe  :thumb-up: I was expecting weight to be an issue with the JPLP but it's been very comfortable (surprisingly)  and I've been playing it standing up for long periods.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #28 on: Time Format »

That's good! My Lester is a one-set guitar :)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #29 on: Time Format »

Yeah but my memory of LP's is they weigh a tonne (like you're s and your car), but this one is no problem.. at all, quite the contrary, very comfortable..
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up