ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Rockman XL100  (Read 61313 times)

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
Re: Rockman XL100
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

I love that ol' Judas Priest tone. Believe it or not, I used to get that sound out of a JCM 800 with a Boss ME-5 in front of it. I used the overdrive + EQ + Compressor to achieve a gain stack. Now, that seems like flying to the moon with 1970s technology, but it really did sound frickin' good.

I ran it through that JCM800 on one side and a Carvin X100B on the other side in stereo. That was just before I got bit by the rack bug.

You mean the late 80's tone?

I love all their tones though the years but my fav is that 87-91 tone they had.  For some reason I reckoned boss stomps would get that tone or their about as well.  It's that weird mid hum that I can't quite put my finger on.  Here is another example of it, but completely different band and guitars so it will sound a bit different but similar flavour.....................you'll know what I mean I hope

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwAlZa35ZFE

Yeah, around the time i was playing Judas Priest (British Steel, Screaming for Vengeance), Scorps (Blackout), and lots of Def Leppard (High & Dry, Pyromania). That's the sound I was after...until my band opened for Primus, who was using ADA gear...the rest is history

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

Are you referring to the Rockman X100?  I've never heard of an XL100........... :dunno:
Yeah sorry, it's an X100  :facepalm:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

I love that ol' Judas Priest tone. Believe it or not, I used to get that sound out of a JCM 800 with a Boss ME-5 in front of it. I used the overdrive + EQ + Compressor to achieve a gain stack. Now, that seems like flying to the moon with 1970s technology, but it really did sound frickin' good.

I ran it through that JCM800 on one side and a Carvin X100B on the other side in stereo. That was just before I got bit by the rack bug.

You mean the late 80's tone?

I love all their tones though the years but my fav is that 87-91 tone they had.  For some reason I reckoned boss stomps would get that tone or their about as well.  It's that weird mid hum that I can't quite put my finger on.  Here is another example of it, but completely different band and guitars so it will sound a bit different but similar flavour.....................you'll know what I mean I hope

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwAlZa35ZFE

Yeah, around the time i was playing Judas Priest (British Steel, Screaming for Vengeance), Scorps (Blackout), and lots of Def Leppard (High & Dry, Pyromania). That's the sound I was after...until my band opened for Primus, who was using ADA gear...the rest is history

ok well you can't say that then and not tell me what way to get similar sounds out of my MP1's

I dunno why I bother asking for other peoples settings.................I always end up sounding like me anyways hahahhaa but that's a good thing......may be ;)

a lot of good rockman demos onyoutube.  I'd buy one of these fuckers is I could use it as a stomp box, but I can't so I wont ahahahaha  I think it sounds f**king great by the way, solid state or no solid state!
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #18 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, got the input issue sorted. Here's a doodling clip using the Dist sound and the eq I mentioned earlier (and tiny bit of reverb from MOne).
Richard!!  It's amazing sounding!!  I love it!!  I LOVE IT!

I do not give a flying f*ck how 80's it sounds.  Is this your Les Paul Richard?  I like the playing mate, no mistakes :)

run down how you hooked this up and what you recorded this with?   :bow:

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #19 on: Time Format »

told

this kid nails it for me!!  Some d*ck on the comments disagreed though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsgDGS1jnqg

Sounds a little out of whack but that's because it's loud in the mix, but that's so you can hear it for the video!!

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #20 on: Time Format »

Wow listen to all 3 clips and i must say sounds good!!

Dante used the same setup in the late 80's,Boss ME5 into 2 marshall heads.The ME5 was amazing back then.It was like a poor man's rack but on the floor  :lol:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #21 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, I used the Anderson so Ultrasonic PUs, I used neck and bridge in the clip just to show the different sounds.
Setup: Guit > X100 in > HP out (the only outputs on X100 (2 x 3.5mm stereo HP outs)) > 2 channels (line in) on desk (~600hx -9 o'clock, 12khz + 2 o'clock) a hint (not much) of TC MOne delay/reverb, desk direct outs > Protools Digi 001 in (1,2,3,4), 2 stereo tracks (1 X100, 2 TC) 48k 24bit, record doodle, bounce to disk (still at 48k 24bit), convert to MP3.

The X100 has stereo delay and chorus, you can have both (as per clip) or turn either delay off or chorus off. I used the Dist setting, it has a slide switch to pick between Dist, Edge, Cln 1, Cln 2. I'll post the other sounds soon (probably go through the Ivory tube preamp next time). It also has a level slide switch Max, -5dB, -10dB, I used Max.

They went on to make rack mount versions (I used to drool over them pre ADA MP1), made for stage/recording use (preamp, FX, eq), but I couldn't afford them, Guitar Builder has them so maybe he'll post a clip, pic or 2.

The original clips I posted (Babylon, Continental Shelf) were straight into Tascam 688, no eq.

(I like the playing mate, no mistakes :)) Thanks  :wave: I tried to do some faster stuff at the end for you, but I wasn't really in the mood so it didn't quite turn out like I'd intended LoL
« Last Edit: Time Format by rnolan »

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #22 on: Time Format »

I have been researching these units'  Hard to make up my mind what to which one to chase.

I think one of these might be worth having for studio use possibly as that's a tone I fancy having in the bag.  Seriously nice clips Richard.  They are bloody dear!!!  Any of the ones I saw on ebay.

here is the wikipedia for em

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockman_%28amplifier%29

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #23 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, so my X100 is the same as the original model, I got a plug in (plugs into the battery compartment) power adapter with 12v wall wart as these things chew batteries very quickly LoL. It's a good tool to have around. Great sounds out of the box (which is good as you can't change them much). They've never been cheap, I paid heaps for mine (IIRC they were like $800 AUD), I think mine was 2nd hand for $500 AUD. I bought my '72 Marshall 50 for $250

Been talking to Mike re how you'd get a X100 tone from MP1, as no compressor on OD in MP1 would probably be easier in MP2 (this is for you BTW, I have one so don't need to LoL). If you like the Rockman tone that much, I'd go for the rack models (if anyone is parting with them). The X100 is great, but it's fundamentally a headphone amp. The rack models are much better and more tweakable.
@GuitarBuilder, your more the expert here ??

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #24 on: Time Format »

If there was a rack version I'd grab one.  I have not seen a rack version though.  I only have come across delay units sustainers, compressors chorus, no actual rack model of the rockman.

I think you'r right, the right kinda overdrive could get you something similar.  I have already done this with my stock mp1.  I think you'd need some funky eqing before the MP1 as well though.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #25 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, it's a very specific tone, good candidate for an impulse. They had a preamp module as well. They were all half rack but went into a single RU (2 units) so the preamp setup was 2 RU IIRC, Preamp, FX, More FX (probably reverb) and stereo eq, and foot switchable, this is before and the SS version of where ADA went with MP1 (well in many ways).
Hey @ GuitarBuilder, chime in here ? you have and use some of these IIRC.

Anyways here's another.
« Last Edit: Time Format by rnolan »

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #26 on: Time Format »

And a clean (Cln1) X100  :)

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #27 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, it's a very specific tone, good candidate for an impulse. They had a preamp module as well. They were all half rack but went into a single RU (2 units) so the preamp setup was 2 RU IIRC, Preamp, FX, More FX (probably reverb) and stereo eq, and foot switchable, this is before and the SS version of where ADA went with MP1 (well in many ways).
Hey @ GuitarBuilder, chime in here ? you have and use some of these IIRC.

Anyways here's another.

again, sound awesome Richard.  i LIKE IT A LOT as you have guessed.  Good clip man.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #28 on: Time Format »

Hey RG glad you like it  :wave: . I haven't used the X100 in years, I'd forgotten how amazing they are, if you can get your hands on one, even better the half rack preamp for a decent price, good tool for the studio (in particular).

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #29 on: Time Format »

Yeah Richard, sure we aint comparing to MP1/2 but it's a special sounding little unit in my opinion.  May be it has taken you to dust it off to appreciate it again?

I am eyeing up something for the kill Richard!  Just waiting on someone getting back to me!  finger crossed, it's not x100 but a rack brother of it.  I'll say no more fingers crossed!! 

If I bag it I'll be very pleased.....my bargain hunting skills have went into overdrive!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up