ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: New Band Day  (Read 1963 times)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
New Band Day
« on: Time Format »

I've been teaching a friend bass and now we've found a drummer  :whoohoo!: .  First rehearsal I played through a Hayden combo at the drummers place, he's got a nice rehearsal room set up.  Today I took my MP-2 rig with my one ADA split stack wired stereo, sooo much better.  The cab can stay in the rehearsal room so now I just have to lug my 8RU SKB rack, guitar and lead bag.  We've got a bunch of songs coming together quite well, trying to keep it relatively simple as bass player has only been at it for a couple of months.  Also I have to do all the vocals.  I love singing but I don't have the range for some things I'd like to do  :facepalm: .  It's great that it's 3 piece, though I'd like to add a singer (maybe keys), so much easier to control/have some dynamics.  Anyway, today we actually sounded like a band, onwards and upwards.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
Re: New Band Day
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Good to hear Richard!  Very happy for you.  :thumb-up:

"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

Peter H. Boer

• 2* MB-1 1*MP-1 + Jur's old Mod4Mk2
    • The Granny Attic
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Great! Have lots of fun  :banana-guitar: :banana-rock: :metal:
Nothing beats MB-1s and MP-1s with MDRTs

http://www.thegrannyattic.com
http://www.Illumion.net
http://www.sote.nl

Zilthy

• My Youtube Channel
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Awesome!  Hope it keeps being fun and enjoy the journey!

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Good to hear R, have fun :thumb-up:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Well more good news, my mate from down the coast is going to come to next weeks bash.  He recently bought a Nord piano/keyboard fully weighted etc so that will work well, he also sings plays pretty good blues harp and even ukulele.  :whoohoo!:

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

YES!

Congrats on the band coming together, sounds like fun  :headbanger:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Thanks everyone for the encouragement  :waving-banana-smiley-emoticon . The quest for the right bass amp for my friend is ongoing.  Also as she improves (which she is doing quite well so far) we can introduce some better and more complex material.  So far I'm trying to keep it simple.

Shibiwan

« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

The quest for the right bass amp for my friend is ongoing. 

I've gone direct to mixer for bass. Less complexity, less equipment to lug around. I've been liking this even more after my old Mackie died and I replaced it with a Behringer XR18. With the XR18, I insert a virtual tube amp right at the input (before the EQ) for the bass to warm the tone out before it hits the power amp.

Probably something to look into the instead of a full fledged bass amp.
« Last Edit: Time Format by Shibiwan »
'97 Ibanez Jem 7VWH
'98 Ibanez Universe UV777PBK
'09 Masters Design EPiN4 bass
'22 Ibanez BTB805MS
ADA MP-1
ADA MP-2 ("new" toy!)
Roland GP-100
Digitech GSP-2101 Artist (LE)
Digitech Studio 5000
Behringer XR18
ADA MT-100 (spare amp)
Marshall 9200

On the repair/rebuild bench in various states of (dis)repair:
My trusty old '87 Charvel 475 SP
Piles of GSP-2101

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Hey Shib, the XR18 looks pretty tricked up  :thumb-up: and as you say, an option to consider.  It would confuse her though and then need a PA etc and then OS issues with older iPad.  We're going for a Mesa rig (http://adadepot.com/index.php?topic=2712.0) if I can swing the right deal tomorrow.  The WD 800 is perfect for her, nice and simple (apart from the 3 band sweep eq).  Also she needs to be autonomous for the future, small jams she can take the head and one cab...The XR18 would be an interesting way for you to bring all your rack gear together (albeit you have a mixer in there already), plenty of sends (12 although only has outputs for 6  :dunno: , I didn't read the manual just going off the pics) but even 6 is plenty for your S5000 and Quad thingy and plenty of inputs for your various preamps.  We play through my rig for lessons, I have a MB-1 in my live rack (for her) and use the MP-2 cab sim outs all into my 8 ch AM802 > DCM200L > Mesa PH112 cabs (which have a tweeter). Interestingly, at the last rehearsal I used the MP-2 cab sim channels (I have the main outs and cab sim outs into 4 channels on the desk, and use either depending on cabs) I was running into my ADA split stack wired stereo and forgot to bring up the main outs and turn cab sim outs off, it sounded great like that, the celetions (G12T 75s) in the split stack are pretty toppy anyway so it just seemed to tame them nicely.

Peter H. Boer

• The Granny Attic
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

The quest for the right bass amp for my friend is ongoing.

MB-1 directly to the board works a charm  O0
Been doing that for over 20 years  :banana-guitar:
Nothing beats MB-1s and MP-1s with MDRTs

http://www.thegrannyattic.com
http://www.Illumion.net
http://www.sote.nl

Shibiwan

« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

It would confuse her though and then need a PA etc and then OS issues with older iPad. 

iPad not really needed. I use the X-air software on my desktop PC, laptop and android phone...simultaneously.

I figured there would probably be a PA wherever you guys play/practice at and just plug the XR18 into it (or directly into the power amp and mix everyone into the other inputs). Also doubles up as a multitrack recording interface (18 in/ 18 out) if you have a computer hooked up via USB. Record it and then clean everything up in the mix later. :D

I use the aux outs to "split" the raw guitar signal to the MP-1, MP-2, Roland, and GSP-2101 and feed their outputs back to the mixer - instant amp switching, even amp mixing. That old Mackie mixer is too far gone. Needs new pots all over so that's a pain to rebuild.
« Last Edit: Time Format by Shibiwan »
'97 Ibanez Jem 7VWH
'98 Ibanez Universe UV777PBK
'09 Masters Design EPiN4 bass
'22 Ibanez BTB805MS
ADA MP-1
ADA MP-2 ("new" toy!)
Roland GP-100
Digitech GSP-2101 Artist (LE)
Digitech Studio 5000
Behringer XR18
ADA MT-100 (spare amp)
Marshall 9200

On the repair/rebuild bench in various states of (dis)repair:
My trusty old '87 Charvel 475 SP
Piles of GSP-2101

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

Well the new band is going nicely.  My bass student is progressing well and coping with more complicated riffs.  We worked on sweet emotion - areosmith yesterday, a couple of nice riffs in that one  :metal: .  I filled in with the drummers other band the other night, their guitarist had covid so they asked me to do the a gig they had at a country/golf club.  Wow I'm just so not match fit. I learnt 60(ish) songs over 2 days/nights and we did 4 sets.  Fortunately there were some songs I'd played before, also a bunch I had heard and had some idea, then a bunch I'd never heard so youtubeing those until 2 in the morning to have "some" idea....  They were really nice to me, the 2 lady singers (great vocal layer) organised all the charts in set order for me.  On the night I had a nice solid music stand (must buy one of these, mine stand is a fold up flimsy one, not so great) with 2 little LED lights.  It was a great night, mostly full dance floor and we got to do 2 songs as our new band to open the 3rd set.  Bass player did really well and is now "blooded" with all her hard work starting to bear fruit (as it were).  I was an absolute wreck the next day(s), it's been well over 8 years since I did a 4 set live show.  Encore we did Bad Boy for Love (Rose Tattoo), great song to end the night.  So nice to get to play and for the punters to be able to dance with no masks etc.  The crowd just went off.  At the end of the 2nd set we were due to take a break but the dance floor was chockas (full), we couldn't just stop so kept going for a few more from the 3rd set.  We've also now pinched a couple their song list for our little band, Hollywood Nights - Bob Seager is now a fav of mine, great to play live. 

I ran out of thread on the Floyd top E fine tuner on the Anderson (string had slipped a little under the lock nut) so my Squire got a run till the end of that set.  (http://adadepot.com/index.php?topic=1363.15).  I think it's the first time I used it loud and live and wow, the SD Little '59 in the neck was just great.  Highly recommend it as a PU option for single coil size replacement/upgrade.  Used it on Rebel Yell - Billy Idol, sounded amazing.  MP-2 sang fantastically (like it should) all night.  Went with Carvin TS100 and one split stack wired stereo. Plenty of grunt for the occasion.
« Last Edit: Time Format by rnolan »

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

seems you had a lot of fun  :thumb-up:

Peter H. Boer

• The Granny Attic