ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Less is more  (Read 4365 times)

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
Less is more
« on: Time Format »

Some of you already know, but I'm in a ZZ Top tribute band (among other things). Playing Billy Gibbons has taught me just how damn busy I am when I play. My New Year's resolution is to play less and get more from the notes.

This approach reminds me of Picasso later in life. When he was younger he painted very realistic paintings, and as he aged he spent the rest of his life trying to draw/paint/sculpt like a child. To get to the essence, without all the busy-ness. To unlearn what he had been taught and just get to the feeling, the emotion, the expression.

That's my goal. Less is more

Wish me luck

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Less is more
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

A good and worthwhile quest my friend  :thumb-up: When I first started recording and heard back all the slurps and stuff I was doing in between notes it really came home to me.  Play what you need to, no more no less and what you don't play is more important than what you do play.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

I'm feeling that.   :thumb-up:

Funny how I started out playing mostly thrash and semi-shred and eventually bored of it.  I am ALL.  SLAYERED.  OUT. 
Now I want to play less, play slow, and put a little more weight behind every note and chord.  Right now my band is still forging that somewhere-in-between Windhand and Candlemass niche with nods to Trouble and of course Black Sabbath as I can hear in my head, but I'll get there.  Work in progress, and I'm not ashamed to have "dumbed-down" my playing especially since it now satisfies me so much more.
« Last Edit: Time Format by Kim »

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Some of you already know, but I'm in a ZZ Top tribute band (among other things). Playing Billy Gibbons has taught me just how damn busy I am when I play. My New Year's resolution is to play less and get more from the notes.

This approach reminds me of Picasso later in life. When he was younger he painted very realistic paintings, and as he aged he spent the rest of his life trying to draw/paint/sculpt like a child. To get to the essence, without all the busy-ness. To unlearn what he had been taught and just get to the feeling, the emotion, the expression.

That's my goal. Less is more

Wish me luck

I knew I liked you right away Dante!!  Billy Gibbons is one of my heros for sure! Love to see and hear any live clips Bro!!  :banana-rock:
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com
www.youtube.com/dannyjoecarter
www.Faceb**k.com/dannyjoe.carter

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

DJC: There is a glut of 'tribute' bands in this town, I'm not a huge fan of tribute bands. Who wants to play the same 30 songs over and over? haha

Anyways, there are only a few guitarists that I would like to cover: Dave Gilmour, Alex Lifeson, Jimi (of course), Carlos Santana, Steve Howe, Jack White, and Billy Gibbons. On that list, ZZ is really the largest catalog of songs that people have heard and will dance to. So, that made my decision.

Here's a video from our first show...I believe my mustache fell off, so I was Amish Billy Gibbons for a few songs  :lol:

The ending of Cheap Sunglasses is a mess, but the beginning of Tube Steak Boogie helped me redeem myself. You can still hear me gettin a bit too busy in my solos when I'm improvising...it was the first show, I'm settling in a bit. I LOVE the tones of the MP-1 Classic for this band.

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

DJC: There is a glut of 'tribute' bands in this town, I'm not a huge fan of tribute bands. Who wants to play the same 30 songs over and over? haha

Anyways, there are only a few guitarists that I would like to cover: Dave Gilmour, Alex Lifeson, Jimi (of course), Carlos Santana, Steve Howe, Jack White, and Billy Gibbons. On that list, ZZ is really the largest catalog of songs that people have heard and will dance to. So, that made my decision.

Here's a video from our first show...I believe my mustache fell off, so I was Amish Billy Gibbons for a few songs  :lol:

The ending of Cheap Sunglasses is a mess, but the beginning of Tube Steak Boogie helped me redeem myself. You can still hear me gettin a bit too busy in my solos when I'm improvising...it was the first show, I'm settling in a bit. I LOVE the tones of the MP-1 Classic for this band.

Well as long as you were having fun and the crowd seemed to be into it so it looks like a successful gig Dante!  :)
Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

I remember this section of the show very well because a local promotional co. was coming out to show the venue, and I thought as I was playing... 'man, I hope nobody recorded this ending...' and wouldn't you know, that's exactly the only section they caught. Nice  :facepalm:

There were better sections of the show that never were to happen again. Lighting in a bottle. The medley of La Grange and Tush would've been great, but NOOOOOO....haha

DannyjoeCarter

• Dannyjoe Carter
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

I remember this section of the show very well because a local promotional co. was coming out to show the venue, and I thought as I was playing... 'man, I hope nobody recorded this ending...' and wouldn't you know, that's exactly the only section they caught. Nice  :facepalm:

There were better sections of the show that never were to happen again. Lighting in a bottle. The medley of La Grange and Tush would've been great, but NOOOOOO....haha

Man I have had days like where no matter how much I practiced and ever was down pat something was off and I wasn't feeling it and nothing came out right.  :crazy:  Then other times after having to work a 60 hour week then suddenly pick up and play knowing it was gonna be bad - and it was a magic performance  :dunno:         
 So I guess we just gotta take the good days with the bad  :D

Owner of DeJayce Guitars
www.dejayce-guitars.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up