ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Need a Schematic? Check the Vault *MP-1 Classic Schematics Just Added!!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Power Amp - Peavey 120/120, Marshall 9200, Others  (Read 6470 times)

Rawk777

It's been a while since I'm thinking about replacing my Traynor YCS100H head for a stereo power amp. I never use the preamp of my traynor, since I don't really like the sound of it. But, I really enjoy my MP2 plugged in the return.

The amp runs on EL34, and is switchable 100w(AB)/30w(A). I love both modes.

I tryed a Peavey 120/120, but didn't really liked it. Ir runs on 8x6L6 and 6 preamps tubes (that's a lot!). But.. it sounded sterile, had horrible scratchy pots (a scratchy pot at 2x120w is not really fun) and the fan was really loud. I also tryed the amp on my bass kit, in bridged 240w mode, and it was more fun than on the guitar, but I was not shopping for a bass amp, so... The seller was kind enough to come to my place to let me test it. After he left, I realized I had my TS808 in front of my MP2 that was active, with the gain and level turned down! It might have been the cause of the sterile sounding impression, hahaha.

The peavey 120/120 amp had a really good price. If the problem was just the TS808, maybe cleaning the pots and changing the fan could fix the problems. Anyone have tryed a peavey 120/120 ?

The other options I have is to pick a Rocktron 150 for the same price (not sure I'll like a SS power), or a Marshall 9200 for 2.5 times the price. I could keep waiting to see If a mesa poweramp will come at a good price, but they are generally more expensive than the marshall's. I don't think I've ever seen a carvin pass by.

What do you guys think?

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.

I used to have the mono version of that 120/120.   Peavey Classic 120, and boy was it a tank. (I bet it weighed more than Dante's car and his T100s)  ;)  Loved it, though.  I only let it go because at that time I wanted to downsize my whole rig...and that poweramp took up 3 rack spaces and weighed a ton.  120 tube watts was a bit much, but it gave plenty of headroom then.  A downside to the stereo 120/120 is the cost to replace all those tubes.  I got new tubes for my mono 120 right away, and was glad I didn't have to do that again.  lol

Iperfungus

• Methodical killers do good jobs!

Even if it's not considered that much, I like the classic Marshall Valvestate 8008 power amp.
Is a good stereo amp and it works fine with many different preamps.
Ok, it's SS....but also the ADA B200s is and that's a blast of a power amp!
On the run again!

Samuraipanda

Rawk,
I have a Mesa 295 that I haven't seemed to let go of yet but can always move it along if you're interested.
PM me and we can talk price, etc.
I'm in Pennsylvania so shipping wouldn't be that terrible.

- Panda

Rawk777

Rawk,
I have a Mesa 295 that I haven't seemed to let go of yet but can always move it along if you're interested.
PM me and we can talk price, etc.
I'm in Pennsylvania so shipping wouldn't be that terrible.

I left you a message :).

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.

OMG  What a BEAST!  :o  I've been eyeballin' some of those 2:95 amps.....my back hurts to even look at it!
Panda, you'll have to throw in a handcart to sweeten the deal!   :lol:

Rawk, I may be interested in that 120/120 if you have the info.

Chip Roberts

• Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
    • Chip Roberts Official

I'm awaiting a Marshall 8004 in the mail.  There's no volume control on the front end, so how do I adjust my master volume?  On the MP1?
Rack of Death:
MP1 v2.01/Roland GP8/Boss NS50/ADA B200s

Pedalboard:
Boss TU2, Mooer Pitchbox, Boss BF2, Boss CE5, MXR EVH Phase 90, Behringer HB01 Wah/ART X15 Ultrafoot/

Cabinet:
Custom 2X12 with WGS Retro 30/HM75

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

I'm awaiting a Marshall 8004 in the mail.  There's no volume control on the front end, so how do I adjust my master volume?  On the MP1?
Yep  :thumb-up:   IIRC someone else bought one of these recently  :dunno: , there's a few posts about it.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few
Pages: [1]   Go Up