ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: new member trying to fix up mp-1 and started mp-2  (Read 10291 times)

bunkyloo

• Tones for days with my ADA's !

and an extremely noisy pitchtraq

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Hey bunkyloo, welcome to the depot  :wave: , I just replied to you other post re pitchtraq.  So, give us some details about what's wrong/needs fixing and we'll help as much s we can  :thumb-up:
So you have MP1 to fix,post questions in MP1 section,
MP2 to fix, post questions in MP2 section.
As for the pitchtraq, provide as much detail as you can (context) to help us narrow it down..
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

SAVANNAH

I think your idea is very good.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento

Dang, Bunkyloo....you have a whole rig there, an MP-1, an MP-2 and a pitchraq? Welcome to the family!

Folks in here will help you sort things out, no worries  :thumb-up:

bunkyloo

Thanks all for the welcoming. I did get the pitchtraq fixed it was broken cold solders at  capacitors. Now I love it Mp1 I upgraded eprom but now I think I need a battery.
As for the mp-2 I bought another that has zero issues and I added the pretty blue screen lol it sounds great but I need to research the effects loop more it seems it quieted 1 side when using loop a only I haven't tested when using b or without the eq. any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated also I just received the mxc kit with expression and quad switch with hopes of controlling the pitchtraq in midi thanks in advance. Tones for days with my ada's lol

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Hey bunkyloo, great news about the pitchtraq  :thumb-up: , easiest way to do the MP1 battery is do the battery mod which you can get from MJMP or you can buy a battery holder (just make sure the lugs line up).  You can buy batteries with the lugs attached but finding the right one is a bit tricky, easier to install battery holder.  Although there is also a mod that doesn't need the battery, also an option.  With the latest MP1 EPROM you can dump and load programs from your PC (via midi (sysex)), handy particularly if you are changing the battery (depending how many patches you'll developed)  writing them down is also a good fail-safe.

Have a look at page 2 of the MP2 manual, there's a really good diagram of the signal flow, you can see where the loop is (after stereo chorus) and how it fits in.  If you are getting a channel vol drop it may relate to the Fx level switch (line/inst).  When loop is in/on the direct sound is fed to the loop mixer (mixes the amount of wet signal), when it's out/off the direct signal bypasses the loop and goes straight to the tremolo.  So a volume drop may be an issue with the ch A loop mixer  :dunno: as there "shouldn't" be a difference in direct sound level.  Try using loop B instead (but also use B main output, as the loops are separate on each ch (i.e. A loop is on A out signal chain, B is on B).  From a patch perspective, the loop is either in or out (both A & B) and you can vary the return mix of A & B (the wet signal) independently.  Set your Fx device mix (dry/wet) to be full wet (100% Fx) and use the return vols in the MP2 to balance it with the dry (well not completely dry, it could already have eq and chorus added at this point) signal.

The MXC is a great pedal (kit), I use the expression pedal assigned to Stereo Volume Control (see page 62) (so controls output vol of MP-2), you have to assign it to what you want it to control (e.g. wah).  The Quad switch defaults to chorus, tremolo, loop on/off and tuner mute (see MXC manual) but you can make the 4 buttons turn any CC controlable toggle.  Unfortunately, your pitchtraq isn't controlled that way and has no "midi" interface.  Now it can be controlled remotely (with it's foot switch) so you need a way of sending it the appropriate commands.  There are pedals that do this kind of thing (others here know more about them than me) but basically you have to be able to program a button(s) to send out the commands the pitchtraq responds to on it's footswitch input.

The pitchtraq is designed more for the MP1 loop (mono/serial), with MP2 (well I use a mixer to do this kind of stuff) but it is probably easier to run it before the MP2 and not in the loop as it will only affect one channel. Are you running your rig in stereo ?? if not you are missing out big time.

Anyway hope that helps
« Last Edit: Time Format by rnolan »

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Manuals

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

I tried to attach the MP2 Manual but it's being problematic so grab it from the MP-2 section (if you haven't already), very good manual BTW.

bunkyloo

Thanks for the information I am running stereo with a b200s and 4 split stacks .I did tackle the battery replacement mod for the mp1 should be an easier battery change next time.as for the mp2 and my pitchtraq iset  it up with the regen using the ada s1000 delay unit with hopes of controlling portionally through the effects loop as it worked with mp1. the only footswitch I have is the 2 button I use for the delay unit. I believe the fs4 works with the pitchtraq but I cant find one I can possibly build one but my hopes were more on of through midi on a lead setting. as far as first before mp2 I would need the proper footswitch the mixer sounds interesting if you could explain thanks in advance for the help.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Good to hear you are running stereo, and 4 x split stacks  :whoohoo!: , should sound awesome  :thumb-up: .
So there are 2 main sorts of Fx "loops":
Serial (as in MP1) where the Fx unit is inserted into the signal path, with MP1 there is always signal on the loop send, this signal is after the tubes/gain stages and eq, the loop return deeds into the stereo chorus and is then split into A and B (IIRC B is the A signal inverted so creates "pseudo" stereo), so the MP1 loop is a mono loop and predominantly what the pitchtraq was designed for (as it's a mono device).  When the loop is on, the direct signal goes through the loop only and you need to adjust the desired wet/dry mix in the Fx unit(s), you can chain other mono Fx units in the loop (e.g. delay) being careful to get their individual input/output signals the correct level and also their wet/dry mix settings.  This is fiddly but it does work. Also the pitchtraq lets you use a delay plugged into it for various cascading/arpeggio Fxs (another option with what you have.

Parallel loops work a bit differently, the direct signal isn't interrupted by turning on the loop, rather it is split so it also goes to the loop send (well it usually already goes to the send, turning the MP2 loop on turns on the A & B loop returns).  The loop return then feeds into an internal mixer stage that blends the amount of return signal with the original direct signal.  So with these kind of loops you adjust the Fx wet/dry mix to be 100% wet (Fx), no dry and then balance the amount of Fx you want with the return volume setting.  The MP2 has a stereo parallel Fx loop, again there is always signal at the sends (A & B) and when turned on, the return signals A & B are mixed back with the dry signal within the MP2, so you adjust how much Fx you desire with the A & B loop return volumes (set for each patch).  With MP2 the A and B loop returns are on the separate MP2 channels (A & B) as at this point in the MP2 the signal is already stereo.  So if you put a mono Fx unit on say loop A, it will only effect channel A, channel B will be just dry signal (so with pitchraq in this scenario ch A would be pitch shifted, B would not).

Using a small stereo mixer with a couple (4 is good) of Fx (aux) sends lets you control it all in the mixer and also compensate for stereo or mono Fx units. So you plug the preamp MP1 or MP2 A & B outs into say mixer channel 1 & 2, use the channel Fx(aux) sends to feed the Fx unit, plug the Fx unit output back into the mixer (say channel 3 if mono or 3 & 4 if stereo), adjust Fx unit to 100% wet, and mix the dry and Fx signals with the channel volumes (faders) and plug the mixer main outputs (L/R) into the B200s A & B inputs. Much like you'd set up a Band PA mix and set you L/R pan controls accordingly.

So how I used to run my rig (I've never used the MP1 or MP2 Fx loops) (initially with MP1 then later MP2):
I use a Yamaha AM802 desk, 8 inputs, 3 mono Fx(aux) sends (1, 2 & 3), stereo out.
MP1 or later, MP2 A/B outs > channel 1 & 2, ch 1 Fx send to Quadverb L input, ch 2 Fx send to Quadverb R input, ch 1 Fx send 3 & ch2 Fx send 3 to IPS33 smart shift input (as is mono in).  Quadverb L/R out into channels 3 & 4, IPS33 A & B outs into channels 5 & 6.  Main mixer outs to B200s A/B inputs, B200s outs > 2 x split stacks.
MP1 or MP2 > channel 1 & 2

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member

Date posted some stuff about modifying his quad switch to switch his viper, this approach could work to switch the pitchtraq  :dunno: , the only way you can switch it with midi is to have a midi footswitch/translater device that accepts the quad switch CC signals (via midi in) and converts them into the correct pitchtraq switch signals.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net

For the pitchraq you need a DS-4 foot pedal, you can find them on reverb and ebay sometimes.

A quad switch will definitely not work since it uses voltage levels, the pitchraq needs pulses.

bunkyloo

Thanks everyone for all the valuable information. It looks like I will have to run the pitchtraq first then into the mp_2 .It did work fine with the mp-2 like you stated but that's more of a backup to me these days the mp-2 has a lot more to offer nonetheless both are amazing.
I am having a hard time finding that DS-4 pedal. Does anyone have a schematic or drawing on how to clone one with or without leds.
Thanks in advanceGP

bunkyloo

I meant it works fine with MP-1 sorry

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net

I don't think it's a good idea to put the pitchraq in front of the mp-2, my guess is that it's going to be noisy.

See attachment for the DS-4 schematic.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up