ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ampulator  (Read 8757 times)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Ampulator
« on: Time Format »

I've started this here as the Ampulator probably deserves it's own place and also maybe some kind member may post the manual and schematic.
From: Quote from: lylerasputin on February 23, 2014, 10:18:34 AM Thanks so much for the advice gentleman,  I sincerely appreciate it.
 What tube would you recommend swapping it out for?  I have opened the box yet (in a rack),  so i forget the OG tube installed…  I cover a variety of tones in my work,  from heavier to clean etc… so need advice on a decent jack of all trades tube,  and perhaps some warnings about ones that ARE NOT good! :)..
 All that said,  I am not an electrical engineer or anything,  but am pretty good at user servicing my stuff,  is opening the box a pain?  and is there anything to be aware of in that process…?  Just want to know if it is worth it before going through the hassle of pulling out of a large rack….
 thanks again for your advice!

I'm not sure what tube the Ampulator uses but my guess is it's a 12AX7 running in twin triode (one triode per channel) and it's used to bring some warmth (tube happiness) to the signal (similar to my TLAudio Ivory 5001 quad valve preamp). So you don't need super high gain but low noise and well balanced (musical, warm, 3D, tight etc).  So, for example, a super high gain JJ is not necessarily the best for the job.  I wouldn't normally recommend an EH tube, but the low gain version of this would probably be a good fit (http://www.dougstubes.com/preamp-tubes/12ax7-ecc83-7025/electro-harmonix-12ax7.html).  A really good 3D tube is the New Sensor Mullard (http://www.dougstubes.com/preamp-tubes/12ax7-ecc83-7025/mullard-12ax7.html), but tube choice is a very subjective area.
Hope this helps, cheers Richard

Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
Re: Ampulator
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Yes it uses a 12ax7 but it's used as a push-pull amp with it's own output transformer.

lylerasputin

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Richard,  thank you so much for your assistance in this,  will check out the Dougs Tube Mullard reissue!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Yes it uses a 12ax7 but it's used as a push-pull amp with it's own output transformer.
Interesting, thanks MJMP.
Richard,  thank you so much for your assistance in this,  will check out the Dougs Tube Mullard reissue!
No worries, happy to help  :)

lylerasputin

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Sorry for my lack of knowledge on this,  what exactly does this mean?   And does this change how I should approach swapping out the tube?  Thanks!

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

It actually works like a push pull power amp but with a preamp triode.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Sorry for my lack of knowledge on this,  what exactly does this mean?   And does this change how I should approach swapping out the tube?  Thanks!
Simple answer, no, it's ok, swapping out the tube is just that, swapping out the tube  :thumb-up: (I like to make sure I don't leave any finger prints (oil) on the tube, drummed into me by lighting guys when changing PAR64 bulbs so a bit pedantic no doubt)
So any 12AX7 will work (noting they all have their pros and cons), it probably is there to add tube happiness (a bit simplistic, so here's my try at an explanation (again MJMP pls correct me if I'm wrong)), running in push pull means each of the 2 triodes (within a 12AX7 tube are 2 triodes (gain thingys) which can be wired in various ways) which, in push pull, are each amplifying one half of the signal  +ve / -ve.  This is probably part of the speaker simulation as it can imitate speaker cone break up without some of the harshness (raggedness) that comes with the real (mechanical) thing (breaking up) (e.g. reduce 2nd order harmonic distortion et al (much broader topic...)). I suspect the output transformer is then used to make the signal mixer/line input friendly (impedance etc).
It actually works like a push pull power amp but with a preamp triode.
So, (to expand on MJMP) like the output tubes in most guitar amplifiers, 1 or 2 tubes amplify half the signal +ve, the other 1 or 2 tubes the other -ve.  The 12AX7 is kind of like having 2 (power) tubes in 1 but at line level not speaker level if that makes sense. So you can run it in push pull (like many power amps) and gain any perceived acoustic benefits.
Cheers Richard

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

That's all correct,just the transformer is just something to add to the sound emulation of a "real" transformer.Altough in the case of the ampulator,a real small one.(it's about 1 x 1 x 1 centimeter).
Pages: [1]   Go Up