ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: NGD: TC Electronic G-System!!  (Read 6633 times)

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
  • Nothing more uncommon than common sense
    • The Best Cover Band In Sacramento
NGD: TC Electronic G-System!!
« on: Time Format »

Wholly Moly..my dream gadget....the G-System. Already on my 2nd Nova System, I am a big fan of TC Electronic gear. The Nova Drive is great too (sounds very organic for a non-tube OD).

Some guy was selling this G-System on Craigslist for $500. I didn't have that much, but I had a little over half of it saved up in gig money and I had a Peavey 1x12 tube combo to trade along with it, and he took it. He even threw in a Boss FV500H Volume/Expression pedal!

Now the bad...I have no idea how to work this thing. I'm going to be reading for a WHILE.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: NGD: TC Electronic G-System!!
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Hey Dante, enjoy  :thumb-up: .  I'm also a fan of TC gear, my first delay was a electro harmonics memory man (IIRC they are the early TC stuff).  I have a TC MOne XL in my studio rack, great delay and reverb.  One day I'll try the other Fx in it...
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Griphook

• Less is more? More is more!
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

I believe there is a PC-Editor for the G-System available:https://www.tcelectronic.com/Categories/Tcelectronic/Guitar/Effects-Processors/G-SYSTEM/p/P0CKX/Downloads#googtrans(en|en)
I like the Editor for the GMajor2, maybe it will help configuring the mighty G-System

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Awesome! Thanks, GH. I hope they have a Mac version :/

Only two days and I have already begun to figure this thing out - it's not as difficult as I thought. I have the FX unit mounted in my rack, with my MP-1 Classic in the INSERT loop. I have my TS-9 in another loop and my FlyRig in another one. They offer me two more gain options anytime, and I have two more loops to use  ;D

Now, the G-system is set up in banks of 5. We are all used to banks of 10. As I've mentioned before, I use a bank for each guitar, and thankfully, I only use 5 patches on most of them. Once I figured out how to midi map with the G-system, it was really quick/easy to map out my patches. The G-system patches start with 1 instead of Zero, so all my patches are one digit off of what I'm used to. Whatever.

I had a bit of a hiccup last night, wasn't getting any signal. It was late, I was tired, I hit up Chucky (it was later for him!) and neither of us could figure out why. Then, I tried bypassing my wireless (plugging the cord directly into the unit) and it worked! It was the wireless  :dunno: So, I get to figure that out later.

Can't wait to start writing patches tonight after work. Haven't even delved into the FX yet...just been reading and hooking crap up. It is nice to only have one Cat-5 cable running from the pedal board to the rack & not needing power.

UPDATE: TCE Offers a Mac version, I just installed it. I'll hook it up later tonight. So cool
« Last Edit: Time Format by Dante »

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Hey Dante,  check out G system videos on YouTube. Alot of good info and patches!
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Thanks man, I'll do that  :thumb-up:

I got home tonight and immediately tried the wireless again, this time in another amp, and it worked fine. Wha? So, then I thought, what if it's the power supply on the G-system? When I plugged the wall wart in the rack and used that for the wireless, it worked fine with the G. I was too tired last night to think of that.

I'm guessing the G-system power supply is less than 250 mA, which is what the wireless needs  :dunno:

Works fine now, and now I need to write patches...do I do it on the computer, or no....hmmm

Chucky

• Long Live JURRRRIIIIIIE!!!!
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Your wireless runs on <250 mA 9 volts current?
All the wirelesses I ever owned worked on 12v.

Watch it with the computer editor, a few years back there were major
problems with it causing glitches... I still used it to save my set-up so it's somewhere in case
of a big problem.
Else than that I prefer editing with the machine itself for 2 reasons:
-It makes you learn better and deeper...Making you faster at editing it.
-If there's anything happening on a gig, you probably won't have your computer at hand
or the time needed to run the damn editor. Might as well know how to handle the unit as a standalone.

For patches, I only use 5... Because of the lay out of the G System, I can edit basic sounds on the fly.
So I have a lot of prepared effects waiting to be kicked in so I don't have to make new patches just to have chorus
on my clean sound and the delay and then overdrive...
So every patch is like 3 to 7 different sounds by themselves.

It's another way of approaching how to write patches.

I'm a TCE lover too!
Got a G-System, a Nova Sys, a Nova Drive, the old original Flanger/Chorus pedal which is a gem, the Polytune and the Hyperspace compressor.
EMGs suck my energies.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

For patches, I only use 5... Because of the lay out of the G System, I can edit basic sounds on the fly.
So I have a lot of prepared effects waiting to be kicked in so I don't have to make new patches just to have chorus
on my clean sound and the delay and then overdrive...
So every patch is like 3 to 7 different sounds by themselves.

It's another way of approaching how to write patches.

I do the same thing. It was the Nova System that got me thinking that way in the first place. That opened up a lot of options and got me using my Quad switch as a mini-Nova system. My wireless says it's 12v DC/300mA on the back of it. whatever, it works with the adapter.

I got the App to work last night - on my older laptop. It was a source of frustration on my newer Mac. It appears to be working fine, and if nothing else, it's a great way to name your patches quickly. I also like that I can see where the FX are set on the fly. BTW, I could totally take the old laptop to gigs and have it plugged into the rack during the gig. Easy peasey.

I'll be programming patches tomorrow (Saturday) and I'll put the App through it's paces.

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

UPDATE: Setting up the Wah in this thing is a BIATCH. Now I know the process -whew- and it's tricky. I read the quick start guide, it was a little help, but some guy in YouTube gave me the clue to getting the wah to work.

I also found the answer to the wireless power supply mystery in the tech specs of the guide; the power ports on the back of the Gee are 9VDC/200mA. The wireless needs 250mA, so that's why it didn't work, even though it powered up. Not enough juice to get a signal.

I have a basic bank of patches written in the Gee that works for two of my guitars. That's getting me started, now I need to start woodshedding this week because I have two gigs with two bands next weekend and I'm rusty. This'll be a great way to try out the patches.

O Yeah...about the App....here's my experience: You can write patches all day on the App and save them to the G-system, but you cannot make changes on the G-system and expect the App to respect those changes. Just my experience, maybe it works for you. So, as long as you make ALL your edits with the App, you're good. Make one change at a gig without the computer, and you're done.
« Last Edit: Time Format by Dante »

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Hey Dante, more to the point I suspect is the wireless wants 12v not 9v as the G puts out, the lack of the additional 100mA will also be an issue (My wireless says it's 12v DC/300mA on the back of it)

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

:thumb-up: I suspect you're right

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

BUMP

I have three (count 'em) THREE stompboxes hooked up to this thing now

Loop 1: Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer
Loop 2: Boss DN-2 Dyna Drive
Loop 3: TC Electronic Mojomojo
Loop 4: empty

As I have stated in another post on stompboxes, I use them for icing on the cake. However, I am toying with the idea of using the Dyna Drive as a 'voicing' in my rig - it's good. I have all the stompboxes stuffed in my rack. I have one empty space at the bottom, and the G-System is pretty shallow, allowing for them to sit in the back. They're all velcroed in, but they're pretty snug in there.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

I don't know Dante, your heading to the dark side...transistor stomp thingys and lots of stupid little leads/power supplies LoL. So if you aren't using the Classic (I gave it up coz I thought it was a must have for you) let me know, I did want it, just not need it.  So if you going all pedal power...(and all power to you BTW) I'll happily take it off your hands and then you can buy more pedals  :dunno:

Dante

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

Richard,

I can't tell you how much I appreciate you letting me get in front of you in line for that Classic.  :bow: :bow: :bow: If I ever let the Classic go, you will always have first right of refusal.

That said, I use the Classic as my main preamp and for all the 'base' tones. The pedals are just the icing on the cake for a couple patches. They're fun to ADD to the Classic, but not in lieu of it. The G-system makes it easy to access the pedals via the loops. Next, I'll chain a couple of them together in one loop :0

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

Hey Dante, man it was my pleasure, I knew you really needed it, I'm just teasing about the pedals BTW, you seem to be having lots of fun with them.  A thought though, when you establish what you want icing wise (via the pedals), maybe try programing that into your rack Fx (it will reduce noise and help dynamics).
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up