ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Radial Tonebone Hot British  (Read 9631 times)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Radial Tonebone Hot British
« Reply #15 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, looks interesting :thumb-up:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
« Reply #16 on: Time Format »

Ahh that sucks the HB won't work for you Gerry! I just started using mine to boost my mp1. Holy smokes! It thickens the Mp1, the closest I can compare it to would be a modded plexi.However it took alot of tweaking to get that tone out of it. I hope you find something that works for you. Sorry the Hot British didn't do it for you.
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #17 on: Time Format »

Well my other idea is blown out of the water now also!  The guy didn't want me to buy his dual tube pedal because of how I was planning to use it (in the loop of my Boss GT5 as part of my light flying rig).

So f*ck that.

My other alternate was this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/akai-shred-o-matic-d1-valve-distortion-pedal-vgc-boxed/253675721272?hash=item3b10405238:g:t2EAAOSwBjdaIBED

But I've read too many bad things about it now along with good that I'm wary about it.

Soloist, never worry man, the Hot British is really good, I think it's amazing actually.  But I just cannot get that level of distortion I need.  It can't take a boost either so that totally rules it out.  Had it been able to take a boost I'd be in business.  I was hoping I could get something like I get with my MP1 with OD in front, but alas it was not to be  >:(  I do however say this pedal is like a marshall in a pedal, or pretty close for what it actually is.  But once you go past 2 o clock on the drive to get the maximum gain the unit is capable off, the dynamics get squashed big time and you have that awful "pumping" sensation I experienced with the Hafler T2 preamp.

I'm sad it didn't work out and sadder I have no real clear affordable solution in mind.
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
« Reply #18 on: Time Format »

Check into some Wampler pedals. Triple wreck, plexitorsion. I had the plexi a few years back and it was very marshally. The triple wreck is suppose to be a triple rectifier in a pedal.
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #19 on: Time Format »

« Last Edit: Time Format by Systematic Chaos »

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #20 on: Time Format »

SC I guess I'm paranoid about going back to a digital preamp lol  I nearly bit the bullet on the Mooer a few times!

But I got a deal on this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uq-M6vjla6Y

Dante if yer reading "But I have a blackstar"..............jesus  :facepalm:  I still think their amps are shit  :lol:  But this pedal sounded like I might be able to use it as my main pre for my flight rig!

Ming you it is so hard to find a video that is of any use to me in regards to what the pedal would sound like if I owned it as all these metal guys play in stupid dropped tunings and its impossible to tell what the pedal actually sounds like.  The video above and his other video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYt2FzpKeB0&t=475s were probably the best I could find in saying that I think he's in dropped D in one of them.

So lets see what this pedal can offer me once it arrives.  I considered also Ibanez tk999ht and variants such as the Maxon 880 (based on the older TK999US).

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

Kim

• Administrator
  • If it's too Loud...you're gonna get more of THAT.
« Reply #21 on: Time Format »

But I got a deal on this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uq-M6vjla6Y

Dante if yer reading "But I have a blackstar"..............jesus  :facepalm:  I still think their amps are shit  :lol:  But this pedal sounded like I might be able to use it as my main pre for my flight rig!

So lets see what this pedal can offer me once it arrives. 

From what I can tell from the vid, that pedal might just be what you need.    :thumb-up:  Of course a demo vid doesn't really = IRL though.  Not a fan of Blackstar either, but I am a fan of using what works.  Maybe put a piece of tape over the logo if it bothers you?  lol  I believe this could really work for you after some tweaking of the controls (then Sharpie them to mark the settings so they can be put back immediately after getting moved around during transport).

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #22 on: Time Format »

Well I'm hoping the thing has the amount of distortion I need, and stay's and feels good when it's pushed to extremes.  I don't foresee me using all the gain on this pedal (if the amounts it is supposed to have are to be believed), so in that case if the pedal can keep the integrity together then we will be winning!  I forsee bumping mids up as usual, keeping low end just enough to have weight and having enough high to allow clear detail and definition without things getting harsh.  I'll sound nothing like the guy in the vids but with the controls and capabilities it has should hopefully be able to dial in my sound.

Och I aint a fan of Blackstar, but I'm not petty enough to hide the name.  In fact the seem so popular it will probably get me some kudos with some a-hole who loves the brand  :lol:  At the end of the day if it works for me it will be the most important thing.  This would reduce my flight rig considerably, I would only have a floor FX unit with this pedal in the loop as my pre and then a power amp to travel with plus my axe!  All about the rig development these days!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #23 on: Time Format »

I borrowed a little 15 w Blackstar a while ago for a jam, it was a nice little amp.  pair of EL84s output tubes, tube preamp stage, nice built in digital reverb.  Sounded good for blues/rock which is what we were doing.  Not loud enough for a real kit though but IIRC it had some cab sim outs.  I thought it was too expensive (and it was 2nd hand) or I might have bought it (it was so portable) and had a nice tone.However, no idea about their bigger whatever models (which I assume you guys are talking about ?)

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #24 on: Time Format »

No this is regarding something other than the Radial Tonebone which I bought and tried and didn't work out, so ultimately we are talking about pedal sized preamps for my flight rig and the latest being the Blackstar DistX.  So this should hopefully do the trick as it's a high voltage (300v) tube pedal.

https://www.blackstaramps.com/uk/ranges/ht-pedals

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #25 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, looks pretty cool. I wonder how it compares to the ADA MP1ch, a similar unit in many ways.  Trouble is, you really have to hear/try them and they're not cheap.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #26 on: Time Format »

Oh without doubt they are more expensive.  The blaskstar new is over double the amount I paid for it.  The price of ADA MP1 channel is way more,  it's like 4 times.  That unit would have been an option but not common enough in the UK for the price to be cheap enough for me to afford it.  Lets see how I get on with the Blaskstar.  I nearly bought the dual which is a clean/crunch + distortion channel version but I wanted to make sure I had enough distortion on tap so went for the Distx model.  Although I hear these blackstars take boosts in front well go extra distortion can be found.  Hopefully I will only use about half of that the Distx provides.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #27 on: Time Format »

Well the blackstar is great.  Very very dark sounding in my direct recording setup but I can EQ that.  Very creamey and songey feeling.  It reminds me a lot of how my rocktron velocity amp suddenly made my live rig sound and feel when I first got it.  Spongey and everything was easy to play.  I find the distortion nowhere near as aggressive as all the videos I have watched online using the pedal which is strange.  It must be how I eq things as it sounds or my setup or something because it just sounds super smooth to me and non abrasive.  I like that about 2 oclock on the drive was the spot for me, sometimes I'd drop it back, sometimes I'd dial a bit more in, but never at the full amount.  Full amount still kinda usuable but thankfully I'm smart enough to know I don't need extra noise  :thumb-up:  Good pedal, hopefully I can sort the darkness out when I integrate into my live flight rig!  I wonder what it will sound like with an OD in front?   :???:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up