ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Radial Tonebone Hot British  (Read 9632 times)

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
Radial Tonebone Hot British
« on: Time Format »

Hey RG, if you want a modded marshall tone in a pedal check out the Radial Engineering "Hot British ". I love the way mine sounds running it as a pre amp right into my power amp. Used the aren't too expensive. Make sure to get an older one, the newer ones are more red colored than orange. To me the older ones sound better.
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
Re: Radial Tonebone Hot British
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, if you want a modded marshall tone in a pedal check out the Radial Engineering "Hot British ". I love the way mine sounds running it as a pre amp right into my power amp. Used the aren't too expensive. Make sure to get an older one, the newer ones are more red colored than orange. To me the older ones sound better.

Man I pm'd you.  Please check as soon as you can, I've taken your advice about the marshall in a box!!!
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Congrats on the GSP1101....
You're already set on the Radial? I could get you a Koch Pedaltone for 130€ from the JPN local classifieds here...add another 20€ for shipping.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

The pedaltone looks a little large for what I'm after.  Also I have sights on a Tonebone for £60-£70 so I can bag one cheaper.  They sound pretty good also.  Despite my possible Koch endorsement hanging in limbo I have heard some negative stuff about the pedaltone.  Also I think if I was to get one of those I would need the newer version which has the loop positioned in a better place.

I jumped on HotBritish suggestion largely as there is one available for a price I can handle right now.  Basically this can fit in a bag, same bag as my GT5 and then this can go on as hand luggage so it's all about size.  Sticking the Tonebone or whichever pedal I end up with in the loop of the GT5 will only be two little short cables so tone degradation should be at a minimum.  I'd probably have a pedal noise gate right after the pre pedal.

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Gotcha!
In terms of size and price, you might wanna check the Mooer Micro Preamps...they fit in a pocket, are 90€ new (Thomann) and sound more than decent on their own, probably even better chained in a GT-5/6/8/...

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

I have been looking at these also.  I have no clue what would be the best model for me.  Their JCM900 copy?

I am not familiar with half the amp models they list and I need to get this right to approximate what I already have as my sound.

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

From what I know of "your sound" and your prefs I would suggest the 005 (5153), 012 (Friedman BE) or 002 (JCM900) in that order.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Well I got the tonebone,  It was cheaper than the Mooer SC.  Hopefully I can make it work.  If not I can sell it on and make my money back easy.

Soloist

« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Let me know once you get it up and running!
Don't forget to check the tube, it may be time for a new one. :headbanger:
Live Rig:
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Sure thing man, does the tube have match influence?

Soloist

« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Not really, just use a quality tube and your good to go.
Live Rig:
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

So been trying this pedal out, it totally captures the marshal sound, it's actually amazing sounding.  But as soon as I go past 2 o clock on the drive, mush!  Dynamics die and mush horrible overly compressed feel happens and that almost ducking sensation you get with too much compression.

This is a real shame as it had the sound and the tone I wanted/needed, but just not the amount of usable distortion.

I thought perhaps if I dial back into the safe territory with the drive and then use a boost this might do the job.  Not it didn't really.  Not as much mush, but it's in the back ground and it just doesn't feel right.

I really cannot emphasise enough though, this is actually a really good marshall in a pedal device, but the last few rungs on the distortion ladder are not usable in my opinion.  Put it this way, when I boost my MP1 I don't get this mush sound even full on with my OD pedal level!  The right amount is about half way but the point is I can push harder, where as with the Hotbritish, I can't push.  I even used an EQ.  No deal.

Soloist not sure how you get your boost to work, do tell?

Soloist

« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

Wow Gerry, I am suprised to hear of your issues with the Hot British.  Mine is set at level 50%, high 80%, low 100% contour 40% distortion 90%.top end=bright, voicing=notch, mid boost= out. I find if the level is up too much it starts to mud up a little. Mine goes into my rack mixer and I increase the level there. I eq before an after. Eq before is a mid boost and eq after pulls out the yuck. Post eq pulls -6db at 31hz,-4 db at 500hz and 1khz, -5db at 16khz. 125hz,2khz,4khz all boosted +5 db, 250hz and 8khz boosted +3 db and 62hz is flat.
Pre distortion eq is a frowny face.
Are you running the pedal directly into your power amp like the pedal is its own preamp? That's how mine is routed. Did you eq before or after?  Or in fx loop?
Play around with the 3 switches on it. They change alot of tone and dynamics. Like the fat setting adds mud.
It does not like to be boosted with an Od, doesn't like the tube screamer either. It also works great as a boost. I have used it boosting my Mp1 and my Jmp1, but I think it sounds more marshally than my jmp1. I do think it has too much distortion on tap, I just don't use all of it.
« Last Edit: Time Format by Soloist »
Live Rig:
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

Well as with all my gear I try it direct in first.

My home setup consists of rack gear and then a speaker sim last in the chain (in my case an Impulse drivin stereo sim called the Logitech Epsi).

So I had my guitar straight into the Tonebone, then into an EQ (which was bypassed) then into a Hush IICX then into a Boss SX700.

My settings were, level up the full way, High about 80%, Low 20%, Contour 50%, Voicing set to Fat, Top End set to Flat, Mid Boost set to Out.  And like this I could not set drive past 2 o clock which is about 65%.

I'll try the level down and see what happens.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

Well I think I will sell the tonebone and try this out

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heartbreaker-Twin-Tube-valve-Overdrive-deluxe-pedal-sold-without-tubes/302749573757?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160727114228%26meid%3D17a547e1d5b34c84a4714b9855c07ffa%26pid%3D100290%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D302749573757%26itm%3D302749573757&_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up