ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Soundlab SST 19 (Nobels SST 19) Broken  (Read 14601 times)

kawai2g4b

Re: Soundlab SST 19 (Nobels SST 19) Broken
« Reply #30 on: Time Format »

Hey everyone, I just got one of these for cheap on eBay. It should be in by the end of next week. I’m hoping it’s a good one because parts are likely to be hard to come by.
Pearce G2R with ADA TFX4 in loop.
ADA MB-1/B500B
And other non ADA stuff.

Kawai AQ-500 guitar, Korean Fender Lite Ash Strat, Electra X930 MPC modded, G&L L2K basses, Peavey T40, Fernandes basses.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #31 on: Time Format »

I checked mine about a month ago for the pure fun of it, and I couldn't believe it, but it appeared to be working perfectly apart from one dodgey switch.  Now going from completely dead to this is quit a turn around.  I didn't play with it long enough to get to use it properly.  It's complicated enough unit.  I still have my doubts as to whether or not it has enough distortion for me but I really hope so as I always loved the rockman tones.  Dunno why any of the stuff I've bought to get these tones has always disappointed.  Sounds heavy on records.  Feels weak in reality.

Keen to hear how you get on with your SST
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

kawai2g4b

« Reply #32 on: Time Format »

Hey rabidgerry, it came in today. I have the same impressions that you have of this unit. I definitely will have to use an outboard EQ in conjunction with it to get the best out of it. For that matter I saw a video of some guy comparing the rockman x100 pocket amp with the Nobels SST-1 equivalent and even he mentions that a graphic equalizer helped the Nobels units get there
ADA MB-1/B500B
And other non ADA stuff.

Kawai AQ-500 guitar, Korean Fender Lite Ash Strat, Electra X930 MPC modded, G&L L2K basses, Peavey T40, Fernandes basses.

kawai2g4b

« Reply #33 on: Time Format »

Update from today: Finally had a chance to dial in some tones with this thing with my Kawai Aquarius and modifies Kawai F-3 guitars. I will say that the 4th EQ band does nothing but make my instruments sound honky. Given, there are tones to be found in this thing, but an outboard EQ in the effects loop and a hot set of pickups will get close to early thrash.

So far my favorite sound has been on clean 2 with a medium but slow chorus. Somehow I managed to replicate Ernie Isley’s rhythm tones on late 70s Isley Brothers records with these settings.

The one big downfall, to my knowledge, is no digital parameters to save as everything is knob based.
ADA MB-1/B500B
And other non ADA stuff.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #34 on: Time Format »

Update from today: Finally had a chance to dial in some tones with this thing with my Kawai Aquarius and modifies Kawai F-3 guitars. I will say that the 4th EQ band does nothing but make my instruments sound honky. Given, there are tones to be found in this thing, but an outboard EQ in the effects loop and a hot set of pickups will get close to early thrash.

So far my favorite sound has been on clean 2 with a medium but slow chorus. Somehow I managed to replicate Ernie Isley’s rhythm tones on late 70s Isley Brothers records with these settings.

The one big downfall, to my knowledge, is no digital parameters to save as everything is knob based.

Took this out again and is still working.  Not sure if there is a battery in it or not holding the settings but it appears to be wiping  when I switch it off.  Again not enough distortion, gutted  :(  Can barely do pinch harmonics on the most distorted setting which is more or less over drive.

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

kawai2g4b

« Reply #35 on: Time Format »

I’m with you on that observation. It’s not the gain-iest preamp out there. It’s a lot better for 80’s style cleans and anything with needing a chorus effect.
ADA MB-1/B500B
And other non ADA stuff.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #36 on: Time Format »

I’m with you on that observation. It’s not the gain-iest preamp out there. It’s a lot better for 80’s style cleans and anything with needing a chorus effect.
  The cleans are real nice.  I decided to boost the front end and I got more usable distortion from it.  But then you are screwed when you switch back to a clean patch as you are over loading then.  I think there are trim pots inside but I need to investigate.  Seems one of my patches saved on mine so it does save after all.

@kawai2g4b You are using on it's own right?  It defo doesn't require a speaker emulator at all.  And I have to say the EQ is insanely sensitive.  I year for the heavy rockman distortion but I aint got it yet.  I thought this unit was going to be my ticket to it but I dunno now.  Chorus and delay are neat.  I still have no freaking clue though on the operation of the knobs.  You got a manual for this BTW? 

Mine currently seems to be operating ok, one patch selection button is broken as in loose and wobbly but still in place however depressing it still changes number etc.  Been reading the manual and there are some neat trikcs programmed into this unit.

It says here it was the firs programmable preamp!!!
https://nobels.de/history-of-sst-1?lang=en

kawai2g4b

« Reply #37 on: Time Format »

I’m using mine on it’s own. Now, if you wanted that push, you might want to find a Roland GP-8 midi programmable multi effect. They run about $125 USD and 6 of the 8 effects are analog, including the OD and distortion.  Basically they threw 8 Boss pedals into one unit.

As for the EQ, it is very sensitive. On mine, I keep the 2K band at neutral or below as the tone gets congested at settings higher than that.  Also, check your inbox, I’m going to send you the manual.
ADA MB-1/B500B
And other non ADA stuff.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #38 on: Time Format »

:lol:  I got the pm man, but if you read my last post and see I already have the manual.

Mine currently seems to be operating ok, one patch selection button is broken as in loose and wobbly but still in place however depressing it still changes number etc.  Been reading the manual and there are some neat trikcs programmed into this unit.

Anyways I appreciate the help.  Did you read any of that history on the link I posted?  Very interesting indeed.  The last thing they mention is the SST19.  Still not convinced about the gain issue, I think it should produce more.

I am familiar with the Roland, I have something similar already although in great need of maintenance, the Boss GL100.  Basically all the boss pedals (that were available up to 1988) in one rack unit  all analogue.  But something not quite right with it.  Distorts when the level is too loud.  No info about this unit online at all.  Like two threads and of course one guy has the same issue as me and then he gives up trying to get it sorted.  Other wise that would be in my rack if it worked properly.  It really would be awesome if I could get it fixed.

SIDE NOTE.  I also have a (broken as well  :lol:) Rockman distortion generator and I noticed despite real bad intermittence and the odd control that doesn't work it can get the real heavy rockman sound!!!  I intend to try fix this myself as I believe it is dry solder joints.  But that unit gives me what I crave with the SST19.  But the prices are shocking online.  I got mine cheapish, but still expensive.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up