ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Soundlab SST 19 (Nobels SST 19) Broken  (Read 14603 times)

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook

Hi guy's,

call me insane right....................but I bid on this insanely rare preamp a few weeks ago and won it outright.  It is a clone of the Rockman XPR.  When I asked the original owner to test the rear input on the unit he did so and suddenly the unit (which was working perfectly up until that point) stops working.  He tried to get it going again for me but unfortunately he was unable.

So he listed the item again but as broken this time and I won it again knowing it was broken.  However I figured an old unit like this may be worth trying to save, particularly how rare it is.  I was hoping with the help of you guys I might be able to get the unit back up and running again.  If not I guess I could sell the unit it on and make my money back, but either way I hope something can be done.

This is how the owner describes the issue:

Was working great until just last week. Now comes on for a short period and works normally before going weird. Sound passing through but you have to switch it on and off to get it going again but same thing happens again after a short time.

May be something simple such an electrolytic cap that has expired and needs replacing? Or one of the chips?

One of the front panel push switches is pushed in and no longer clicking so may be that that needs replaced?

A challenge for someone!!

I got pics of the inside also which I can post later, but let me know what you all think or am I flogging a dead horse?
« Last Edit: Time Format by Kim »
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
Re: Soundlab SST119 (Nobels SST119) Broken
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Didn't find any info on these?

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

That's how rare it is!

For some reason the same model as the Nobels SST119 was issued under the soundlab name also.  From what I understand Nobels had made their own rockman clones and where trying to get away with murder so perhaps they tried to issue the same unit under a different name to try and avoid getting nailed by Rockman, who knows?  Either way the soundlab I have won is exactly the same as the Nobels.  I dug a little further and found Nobels also copied the x100 headphone amp and some other items in the rockman range only made their housing out of metal.  Apparently at one time Kramer were backing the nobels rockman copied range!!!  If you search you will find adverts feasturing both brands of equipment.

My one idea is to contact Nobels and ask for a schematic perhaps?  Long shot.

example

https://reverb.com/item/9677450-vintage-nobels-kramer-sound-studio-min-pak-variable-filter-tone-dist-gain-normal-od-dist-germany-9-volt-1989-red

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Well keep us updated!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, your insane  :crazy: well not really, though I'm sure others (who aren't into guitar gear) may think so  :wave:
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

vansinn

« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Yeah, I was close to buying one many years ago.
I had communication with the owner and designer.
It's fairly uncomplicated, build from ordinary electronics, and can be repaired.
I'll need to extract these communications from a backup - may even have schematics, don't remember; well, this I'll do anyways for some other data needed, so will try to get this done.

IIRC, outputs are driven from an ordinary opamp; mmnn.. maybe a TL07x/8x series.. could be the only thing defect. Don't remember where in the chain the output level potmeter is located, but it's an old carbon-trace thingy, so.. easily checked.
Mmnn. I also seem to remember both inputs and outputs are clamped with diodes to protect against too high levels; check those too.
That's all I can remember ATM.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
Re: Soundlab SST 19 (Nobels SST 19) Broken
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Hey MJMP, of course I can let you know what happens once the beast arrives.  MJMP You may not have found anything on the unit as I put in the wrong model number in the topic heading, see very bottom of this post man  :thumb-up:

Hey Richard,  I hope I aint insane.  This is a relic, and would practically take care of all my Rockman needs (no more hunting for over priced Rockman modules) so it's worth the gamble I think.  It surely is a rare piece.

Hey Van,  holy smokes!  Man if you have any info, that would be great.  A schematic would be great also, I know MJMP can read them ( :lol: as I cannot and I'm sure a few of you can also  :thumb-up:).  Much appreciated if you go to that length to get me some info  :bow: :bow: :bow:

I don't think this unit should be in too bad a condition, it was working perfectly as I said up until, well pretty much when I asked the original owner to use/test the rear input to see if it was ok (he said he only ever used the front and something didn't feel right when he plugged into the rear.)

Look someone has one with an MP1 https://www.musiker-board.de/attachments/20140725_190419-jpg.357736/
edit: can one of you lovely administrators edit the name of this thread for me please?  I put in the model number wrong it should be "Soundlab SST 19 (Nobels SST 19)"
« Last Edit: Time Format by rabidgerry »

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Ah now I find more of these. Seems to be digitally controlled (saw some midi connectors on the back) so it might be more complicated then you might think?

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

I didn't say it would be easy, hell it might not be possible for all I know, I'll need plenty of help no doubt, but I think worth the gamble.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, it looks like it will fill the bill  :thumb-up: . I remember when the Rockman stuff came out, the music shop had a rack of all the units, way above what I could afford, it cost me $800 AUD for the X100, but then came the MP1....

So if it worked fine until using rear jack, maybe it's as simple as cleaning/replacing the jack ? It will no doubt be a switching jack and they do gum up and cause issues.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Sure I have 3 MP1 units and as great as they are they don't do Rockman tones, and that's something I would like to have at my disposal also.  I've always liked the Rockman tones, I've heard plenty of examples where they have been used even in Metal music.

Original owner said this when I first got him to try the rear input jack:

So just got back to the house and checked out the rear input- you are right actually it is broken although just the outer plastic the jack seems to still accept the cable fine I had never used the rear input to be honest so never noticed.

Thought all was well however starting playing on it and within 15 mins started to cut out and think display an error message.

and

Ok will have a look and see - seems to be coming up with an error code. But then playing normally intermittently.

also

I got hold of the manual and identified the error code - advice is “consult dealer” I will try and reset it back to factory settings etc see if it helps

so this issue seems to stem fro the input he tried at the back of the unit.
« Last Edit: Time Format by rabidgerry »

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

From my experience, a bad input jack jack doesn't give an error code?

vansinn

« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

From my experience, a bad input jack jack doesn't give an error code?

ERROR 42: Jack has a crack or slack. Remedy: Give Jack a whack; if problem persists, sack jack.

GuitarBuilder

« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

I have the manual and schematics.  PM me with your email address.
ADA and Rockman Heads
Marshall amps
Strats and Les Pauls

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

Seems the back jack has awoken the balrog  :facepalm: .  Well regardless of whatever else may be going on it will need to be replaced, though I'm with MJMP about the error code.

@GB, can you post the manual and schematic ? wouldn't mind having a look.  Or email it (address is in my profile)
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up