ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Eminence Speakers  (Read 13762 times)

McLeanAB

• Adam's Music
Eminence Speakers
« on: Time Format »

Howdy all!

Just wanted to see who many of you folks use Eminence speakers?  I was using a Swamp Thang and Wizard in one cabinet and a Swamp Thang and Governor in the other 2x12 and loved it.  Since my gear rotated, and I no longer have the 2x12's, I now have a Swamp Thang in my ISP Theta Combo and love it.  Been thinking about swapping it out for a Governor just to play around.
-Adam
ISP Theta Preamp, ISP Theta PRO, ISP Theta Combo and Vector 2x12 with Celestion Alnico Creams, and Charvel Wildcards with EMGs!

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: Eminence Speakers
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

I had 2 x 12's from a fender twin which were allegedly Eminence, not sure the model.  They were in an open back cab a friend had as the top end of his bass rig.  I still have one, the other fried because my B200s (a very early model) went lala on one channel.  I used them for years with a 1972 Marshall 50w and later with my first MP1 rig (MP1 > Alesis Quadverb > B200s), they were great speakers.
I also had a pair of Plessy 12U50s', also great speakers.  The factory that made the Plessys is still around in Melbourne (Australia) and make Lorantz speakers these days (http://www.melbournemusiccentre.com.au/auxpage_lorantz/).  A Melbourne music shop (check the link) got them to reverse engineer the classic Celestion Vintage Greenback and now all their staff use them.
My stage rig is 2 x 12 ADA split stacks with 90w Boogie Celestion's which I quite like although like all things Boogie a bit bright
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

Rodney_g

« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

I looked really seriously at Eminence but ultimately ended up going with some WGS speakers based on the speaker run-offs I heard and the pricing I got from the guys at WGS.
Love the Veteran 30 / ET-65 combo in the 2x12 slant cabs.  :metal:
I much prefer the Vet 30 to the Celestion Vintage 30's I used previously... no ugly @ss, harsh mid-range hump in the EQ.

Guthrie Govan is currently using Vet 30s, so if you like his tone, check 'em out... wwww.wgs4.com
Kemper > Peavey Classic Series 5050 Power Amp > ADA SplitStack (WGS Vet30s on top, WGS ET-65s on bottom)

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Cool, they have some nice offerings and, as you say the prices are good  :)

joeblast

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

I bought some of the neodymium magnet ones for my bass cab - even the 15" is light as a mug of coffee, and I am happy with the sound.

WickedBlade

« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

My 2x12 cab has a Governor and a Texas Heat. I'm told that is an unusual combo, but I wanted to mix the American and British sounds. I'm quite satisfied with the speakers, though I admittedly have no big experience with other speakers. My previous cab had 2 chinese Vintage 30s and that wasn't my cup of tea, I found the Governor smoother, less harsh to the ears while still retaining the British growl.

I recently equipped my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe with a Texas Heat too, for what it's worth. I find I quite like that speaker, even though I use 80's distortion as my main tone and I used to think that the Texas Heat would be leaning more towards that American clean tone.

RobbHell

« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

I use custom made VADER Cabinets. Sadly there no longer being made. They are the same thing as a Over sized Mesa Cab but with four 120 watt Eminence's. A 480 watt over sized Holy Shit! I've had them a long time now and tey have never let me down. They move a lot of air and can handle as much low end as you can throw at it. I've never heard theae Cabinets fart lol. The only thing I found interesting about them was it took a little getting used to because i'm so used to the bright top end of a Celestion speaker.

Darth Infernus

« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

I've always used Celestion Vintage 30 speakers until I could no longer take the ear fatigue from all that high end. I tried the Eminence Governors and have never looked back since. All the things I loved about the Vintage 30 with a great high end but not the piercing, fatiguing frequencies.

I use (2) Happy Cabs 2x12 Detuned cabinets

kawai2g4b

« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

My Red Star Audio Blackjack 4X12 cab uses two Eminence Wizards and two Eminence Texas Heats in it.  Currently it's tied to my MP-1 rig and they match up scarily well.  Their speakers seem to me to have superior clarity and dynamics which match up well with more modern amps.  Eminence's American and British style speakers compliment each other very well when housed in the same cab.
Pearce G2R with ADA TFX4 in loop.
ADA MB-1/B500B
And other non ADA stuff.

Kawai AQ-500 guitar, Korean Fender Lite Ash Strat, Electra X930 MPC modded, G&L L2K basses, Peavey T40, Fernandes basses.

RandallRG

« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

I have been using my 2-4x12 Randall Cabs equipped with (80 Watt 8-0hm) Randall Jaguar Speakers (Made for Don Randall back in the 80's by EMINENCE! :thumb-up:) The 320 watt cabs sound great with My Randall RG1OOES Heads/My Ampeg VH140C Head & of course my MP-1!! All around they are some really great sounding Speakers with nice BIG Magnets & TRUST ME they can push some air! LOL!! Awesome Mids/KILLER Highs & some Deep "Thump Chuggin" Bass response. They make for a Awesome M-E-T-A-L Speaker!  :metal:
« Last Edit: Time Format by RandallRG »

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

The best speakers I've used were Plessey Rola 12U50s, I think I got them when I was 15...  They also work great as a PA speaker in 4 cub foot cabs with a piezo tweeter.

Explorer84

• Astronaut and famous Hollywood stunt squirrel
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

I have 4 x Eminence Lynch super v12s in my Marshall 4x12, these things sound fat and punchy,

more midrange than the Celestion G12t-75s that I removed from the cab, but more importantly a really sweet smooth high end

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

Cool. I had a pair of Eminence fender twin speakers in an open backed 2 x 12, loved them.
Got boogie 90w celestions in my 2 split stacks Not shabby, but a bit middy for me (like all things Boogie..)

Casey_Butt

« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

I had 2 x 12's from a fender twin which were allegedly Eminence, not sure the model.  They were in an open back cab a friend had as the top end of his bass rig.  I still have one, the other fried because my B200s (a very early model) went lala on one channel.  I used them for years with a 1972 Marshall 50w and later with my first MP1 rig (MP1 > Alesis Quadverb > B200s), they were great speakers.

If those were the blue labelled Fender Special Design speakers they used throughout the 1980s and early `90s, they were a version of the Eminence Legend with a heavy magnet and large speaker coil, made specifically for Fender to handle the 160W Pro and London 185.  I have the exact specs on my home computer (I`m not home at the moment).  They used them in the Twin and other amps also.  I looked into it years ago and was told that directly by Eminence.

I have a pair from an open back Fender 2x12 cab, myself, and I have to say they are perhaps the best sounding speakers I`ve ever heard in that application.  I`ve tried other speakers in there thinking I was upgrading (I have Jensen C12K`s in that 2x12 now) but those Fender-Eminences are honestly the best I`ve played.  They`re fat, clear, sweet, expressive, sensitive... just a damn fine speaker for an open back 2x12.

It`s probably human nature to think the grass is always greener on the other side, and that the stock speakers can`t be that great (especially when they were so common), but those really were.
« Last Edit: Time Format by Casey_Butt »

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

Hey Casey, totally agree, they were great sounding speakers, I had to be a bit careful pumping  124 B200s watts a side into them, but they did really well for smaler (or micked up gigs). My all time fav though is the Pleassey 12U50, my dad bought me a pair (after I'd blown up the 2 Phillips twin cone 20 w he gave me), I used them for guitar and (with piezo tweeter) for HiFi/ front house in 4 cubic foot cabs
Pages: [1]   Go Up