ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Temp "Time Format" issue Fix in Discussions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: post preamp eq tips  (Read 4731 times)

El Chiguete

post preamp eq tips
« on: Time Format »

For the guys that have the MQ-1, Rane MPE 28 or other rack eq units I would like to hear how you use them to complement the eq of your preamps. I have a Rane MPE 28 and so far just used it to add some bass to my sound but I want to expand its use. Today I was searching on this but I couldn't find much about this, only found about post eq mixing in DAWs, but I did find a thread on another forum that made this comments:

¨Some prevalent tips from the web are:

- The 125Hz frequency is one of the most important for guitar. This frequency is what will give you a nice OOMPH, much like cranking the bass knob on an old Marshall JCM800 head.
- The 1KHz is a touchy, but necessary frequency that brings out the upper mids. It's a necessary evil, because if it's too high, this frequency is very shrill sounding.
- The 1.4KHz slider is also a necessary evil. Totally cut, it leaves something lacking, but boost it too high and it could kill a mouse!¨

I think these are good tips to start but I would like some more from you guys if you can.
Before you see the light, you must die!!!

'87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
'81 Kramer Pacer Standard
custom made Les Paul
ADA MP1
Rane MPE 28
Lexicon MPX-G2
Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!

AFFA
Support Your Local 81

Soloist

• Take No Prisoners...Take No Sh!t
Re: post preamp eq tips
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Parametric eq:

Mesa Mark III tone
101Hz, bw 1.2 oct.,level +12/ 771Hz, bw 1.4 oct., level +1/ 4967Hz, bw 1.2 oct., level +8/ 6442Hz, bw 1.2 oct., level +7

Deep scooped metal tone
81HZ, 1.0 oct., level +6/ 917Hz, 1.1 oct., level -15/ 3830HZ , 0.6 oct., level +4/ 5657Hz, 1.2oct., level +1

Those are the 2 settings I use the most. May vary depending on your power amp. These are for a live tone.
Live Rig:
Fractal Audio FM3 ver 1.06
Boss GT 100 ver.2.11
Switching- Radial Engineering Big Shot I/O v2 - Radial Engineering Pro D2 Stereo Direct Box
Power - Live Wire Power Conditioning Distribution System
Monitors  - (2) FRFR-112 Headrush Stage monitors
Axes - Charvel So Cal Pro Mod-Jackson DK2MQ Pro-Jackson USA Soloist-Ibanez RG3XXV
ADA gear: MP1- MP2 - MT200
Studio gear- way too much to list.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

¨Some prevalent tips from the web are:
- The 125Hz frequency is one of the most important for guitar. This frequency is what will give you a nice OOMPH, much like cranking the bass knob on an old Marshall JCM800 head.
- The 1KHz is a touchy, but necessary frequency that brings out the upper mids. It's a necessary evil, because if it's too high, this frequency is very shrill sounding.
- The 1.4KHz slider is also a necessary evil. Totally cut, it leaves something lacking, but boost it too high and it could kill a mouse!¨
Hey El, so 125Hz = double bottom E (= 82 Hz) so yes will add bottom end (thump/OOMPH), 1KHz is the frequency your ears are the most sensitive to (I don't agree about shrill necessarily, but I get the meaning), around 1KHz is where the Fletcher Munsion (loudness) curves centre, i.e. it tends to be perceived by you ears the same (be it louder or softer) at any volume/SPL (sound pressure level) compared to other frequencies. 1.4KHz to 2KHz use with causion, can rip your ears out (I'd call this one shrill, but hey that's my take).  2KHz is normally the go to for a bit of click (definition) in a bass drum and bass guitar.
6KHz is presence (puts it in your face), 10KHz/12KHz is shimmer/sparkle. 18KHz is upper harmonix and used in aural exciters etc. (really puts it in front of mix/sound stage), and you should surgically remove 160Hz (and subdue 360Hz) in your PA eq.
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

GuitarBuilder

« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

I think it very much depends on the sound you're after, right?  For Tom Scholz in Boston it was all about eliminating 500Hz.  The scooped settings have already been mentioned.

I tend to cut bass because it starts booming too easily in small areas, as well as rolling off the highs to preserve the audience's ears.  All the tone action for me is between 300Hz and 2000Hz.  For smooth distortion I cut everything above that.  For a clean sound I cut above 8000Hz.
ADA and Rockman Heads
Marshall amps
Strats and Les Pauls

rickeb1

« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

The 125Hz frequency is one of the most important for guitar. This frequency is what will give you a nice OOMPH, much like cranking the bass knob on an old Marshall JCM800 head.

Hey El, thanks very much for this tip!  I added a slight boost for it and it makes a big difference in my tone, so thanks!

~Rick
Pages: [1]   Go Up