ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Let us never forget our beloved founder - RIP Jurrie, we all miss you very much

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: No Power, No Display, No Output  (Read 14053 times)

Chip Roberts

• Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
    • Chip Roberts Official
No Power, No Display, No Output
« on: Time Format »

Seems this problem has been reported on this forum before.  Went to power up the rack, everything turned on okay except for the MP1.  The OD1 light blinks once and then goes dead.  Pulled the fuse out and looks fine, doesn't look like the tubes are powering.  Please help.
Rack of Death:
MP1 v2.01/Roland GP8/Boss NS50/ADA B200s

Pedalboard:
Boss TU2, Mooer Pitchbox, Boss BF2, Boss CE5, MXR EVH Phase 90, Behringer HB01 Wah/ART X15 Ultrafoot/

Cabinet:
Custom 2X12 with WGS Retro 30/HM75

Chip Roberts

• Chip Roberts Official
Re: No Power, No Display, No Output
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

UPDATE: Tubes are getting warm, so I know it's getting power.  Obviously plugged guitar straight in, not reading any signal.
Rack of Death:

Pedalboard:
Boss TU2, Mooer Pitchbox, Boss BF2, Boss CE5, MXR EVH Phase 90, Behringer HB01 Wah/ART X15 Ultrafoot/

Cabinet:

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

My stock unit does this, and yes the tubes light up and heat up despite nothing else appearing to be on.

Turn it off and on again in quick succession to see if it will fire up fully.  Sometimes mine will come on right away, but when it doesn't it's usually a case of flicking the on off switch a few times and then it power on properly.

Could be the issue, then again it may be something else.  But this works for my unit.
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

Chip Roberts

• Chip Roberts Official
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

We measured the voltage on the 2200 capacitors and it didn't match up with that it's supposed to be (around 20-22vdc), so I'm banking on a relatively easy fix.  Any other thoughts aside from capacitors?  It's a version 2, production year is 1988 EPROM 2.01, serial number begins with 7.
Rack of Death:

Pedalboard:

Cabinet:

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

exactly,

so have you tried turning on and off the power switch a couple of times in quick succession?

My unit is getting power also when it does this, but comes on after the 2-3 flick of the switch.

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

Chip Roberts

• Chip Roberts Official
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

Dad took it to the shop today.  Man says the amp is beyond repair, something wrong int he circuit board and claims there are no replacement parts.  When I get it back I'll try the off/on solution.  If not, I have another lead for a replacement.
Rack of Death:

Pedalboard:

Cabinet:

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

Well this can happen, now most tech guy are used to analog stuff and some freak out if they see all the digital stuff in a mp-1. Even if there is a digital problem all the parts are still available.
Now if it doesn't start it can be a lot of things, mostly the wall voltage being too low. So try if it wants to start without the tubes.

The voltage on the 2200 µF caps is not so important, the voltage over the 3300µF is, that's the voltage used by the 5V regulator that feeds all the digital stuff. The voltage over the 3300 is also used for the heaters, that's why you need to pull out the tubes to test it. Did you measure the voltage over the 3300?

Chip Roberts

• Chip Roberts Official
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

The 3300 cap was normal, I'm in the US if that helps.  Amp repair diagnosis was; he was shocked that it ever worked based on the condition and that the volume pot was broken, he said that it had a lot of damage from someone dropping it, also said that he thought something in that board was fried and that all the IC's could be damaged as well.
Rack of Death:

Pedalboard:

Cabinet:

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

Holy smokes!  I guess your MP1 was in pretty bad shape then.

When you bought it Chip did you realise all that?

Sorry to hijack this thread - MJMP, in regards to my issue, would a simple replacement of the on/off switch do the trick?  I just have to flick it on and off 2-3 times for the unit to start.  Sometimes I don't have to.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

When you bought it, did it work?

Can you send me a couple of pics of the inside?

Did you try to start it without the tubes?

@RG, don't think the switch is the problem.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

MJMP, you don't think my issue is the switch then?  Once it switches on it's fine, works for as long as I want.  Perhaps a component has gone then, I dunno.  Mine has been like that since I got it.  Recorded on the album with it and everything.

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Could be the reset circuit, bad diode in the power supply, wall voltage a bit low,

Chip Roberts

• Chip Roberts Official
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

It worked fine when I bought it.  Though shortly after the Output A on the back broke off and the rear input was all snafu.  Beyond those, never had any problem with it.  It's at my parents house right now, so when I get it back I'll try a few more things.  If not, I'll just buy another one, I got a couple leads.
Rack of Death:

Pedalboard:

Cabinet:

MarshallJMP

• Superhero Member
    • marshalljmpmodshop.net
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

Okay, let me know how it goes.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

Could be the reset circuit, bad diode in the power supply, wall voltage a bit low,

Wall voltage low?  Wouldn't this affect my other MP1s?  Using a furman with this btw.

Shit, I dunno anything about the reset circuit.  Is that a serious issue do you think?

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up