ADA Depot - A Forum To Support Users of ADA Amplification Gear

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please note "Depot New Registrations Temporarily Suspended" Please see discussions for how to register.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: MP1 Trials  (Read 42598 times)

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
    • Rabid Bitch of the North band facebook
MP1 Trials
« on: Time Format »

So I tried the stock MP1 I own out on my live rig yesterday.

It was a lot better than the first time.  This has a lot to do with the arrangement of my cabinets in my practice room.  Regardless, I have them in a better arrangement and coupling is not an issue anymore!!  The first time I used the MP1 with my setup I got nothing but feedback.

This time was a better story  :)  However finessing will be required

So yesterday I hooked it up into my Boss GT5 loop.  This worked great (so bizarre it never worked before without crazy issues).

The patch I was using was for my more non thrashy sounding numbers, the more regular heavy metal songs.  I think my patch was:

od1: 7.5
od2:6.5   (this was 7.5 but I was getting too much bass and the bass was already -6 so I lowered this and increased bass on the EQ to -2)

Master: 5
Bass: -2
Mid: -6
Treble: 4  (this may have been 6 at one point and I lowered it)
Presence: 8

The results I liked.  I will play about over the next few weeks.  Issues I encountered were too much bass and mids.  I felt like I was having to make massive cuts.  I wanted to cut the mids more but one more step down to -8 suddenly was way to much.

What I would like to achieve over the next few weeks:

To get a thashier sound - I'm not sure I can do this on the mp1 by itself.  I have boosts at my disposal so I'm going to employ them starting with an analogue overdrive module on my GT5.  I give it whirl yesterday but I got feedback that was a little too wild.  Tinkering may solve the issue.  I can also just add a clean boost.

To get make use of an EQ with the MP1:  I found the onboard EQ with my setup very limiting,  perhaps I can add more detailed EQ using the GT5 parametric EQ.

All in all I thought it went well.  It was nice to get using it in a non di recording environment.  Hopefully this is the start of the MP1 becoming a full time member of my squad  ;D
"whadda ya want? we want Heavy Metal"

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50
Cabs: 4 x Bugera 2 x 12"
Midi Controller: Behringer FCB1010

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
Re: MP1 Trials
« Reply #1 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, the MP1 is very much a live preamp, it works quite well though with the GCS3 cab sim in the loop for recording, my inclination wood be make it the centre of your tone an use the rest to bolster (apply FX) to it..
Studio Rig: Stuff; Live Rig: More Stuff; Guitars: A few

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #2 on: Time Format »

Yes I agree so I put it in the fx loop of my boss and it worked well as the preamp in that chain.

I don't need a cab sim for recording though as I have the EPSI which is the best cab sim I have ever heard.  I looked at the GCS3 a while back but I'll never switch now that I have the ability to load any speaker on the planet.  I can even make my own should I choose to run a sine wav though my live rig and record the output.

But that's of the beaten track again.

MP1 trials our in full swing, hopefully can nestle it into my live setup and I can get the sounds I need from it.  Tweaking!!

Guitars:1986 Westone Dimension IV, 1989 Korean Squier Fat Strat Silver Series, 1998 Korean Squier Fat Strat, MIM Fender Fat Strat - FR, Squier Stagemaster Deluxe - Thru Neck x 2, Squier Stagemaster 22 Fret - 1st Gen, 1999 Squier Showmaster - Anniversary Edition, Squier Showmaster, Tokai FV40 Flying V

Effects:  Ada Mp1, Peavey Rockmaster, Boss GX700 Boss SX700 * Amps:   Rocktron Velocity 300 - Koch ATR4502 - Peavey Classic 50/50

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #3 on: Time Format »

Started this thread a while ago and never really updated it.  Perhaps because I hadn't fully experimented with the mp1 PROPERLY in my live rig.  Well I've had it set up now for a while and I've went back and forth from it and the Peavey Rockmaster and I finally seemed to stumble upon ground from which I can start to may be build a few more sounds (I only really need a handful).

So this week I played a whole practice session with the MP1 and it was f**king awesome I have to say.  No BOOST for extra gain!  I couldn't believe it.  I didn't find I needed it but I think I will play about with using one just for a little more variety, and more thrashy numbers.

Anyways the setting I used

OD1 6.5
OD2 6
Master Vol 5.5
Bass -2
Mid 0
Trebel 2
Presence 4

I was in heaven today, it was awesome with the axe I was using with it (blue Squier Showmaster with DP100 in bridge).

It was so smooth, responsive, had detail (and this was using what ever the stock tubes are), and grunt.
I also use this MP1 with a step down transformer as it's a Yank model.  It sounded superb to me.
Used it in conjunction with Boss GT5, had patches where a Chorus was on permanently (just for stereo effect) and also for a more dominant colouration and I used a harmonizer with it also and some Delay and Reverb from time to time.

Very happy.  I will try and get a few clips together.  I personally find I get better results with guitar recording through DI approach using my cab sim.

Really love the unit.  I would buy another if they were not at stupid prices that they seem to have gone up to.
« Last Edit: Time Format by rabidgerry »

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #4 on: Time Format »

:whoohoo!: Go RG, MP1 heaven, I loved the stock tubes BTW (if that's what you've got, there's no brand on them and they lasted for a very long time).

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #5 on: Time Format »

I'm planning on getting a mdrt for it................but I'd lose the compressed feel right?  And I think I loved that yesterday lol

Yeah these are the stock ones I think.  Just a bit of red type on them but no brand of any sort.

SC sent me the TAD RT001 to try out as that's the one closest the original Chinese valves.  Looking forward to trying them.

I know you all are wondering why it's taken me so long but rather than rock the boat I stick with the "if it's not broke don't fix it attitude" in regards to my set up before using anything rack.  And I would never risk trying out a new piece of gear until I heard what it was like with my live setup very, very loud and for at least a sets length amount of time.  I wouldn't want to risk showing up to a gig and having f*cked up feedback issues or something random.  I've learnt my lesson before the hard way doing that.

So it's battle tested as far as I can see.  I discovered output A has died, or at least is intermittent so I shall need to replace.  Just used output B yesterday.

PS why are 1/2 U rack cases so f**king dear!!!!  I wanna get a smaller case so I can still travel quite light to gigs rather than take my larger rack case.

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #6 on: Time Format »

PS why are 1/2 U rack cases so f**king dear!!!!  I wanna get a smaller case so I can still travel quite light to gigs rather than take my larger rack case.

Top bang-for-the-buck 2u rack, I can highly recommend these:
http://www.thomann.de/ie/boschma_cases_2u_he_shallow_case.htm

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #7 on: Time Format »

Hey SC, cool cases  :thumb-up:

@RG, yeah that sounds like the original Chinese tubes.  I don't know that the MDRT will ruin the compressed feel you have ?  I'll be able to tell better when we put one in MikeBs MP1, but from what I've read about them they will enhance things without wrecking them.  Sounds like time to replace the jacks on the back panel, to get at them you have to undo all the jacks and get the back plate off, so if you are going to replace ch A output jack you may as well do them all (MJMP has the appropriate jack sockets). This is another maintenance mod we'll do on MikeBs MP1 when we do the MDRT, he's already bought all the jacks from MJMP.
Totally agree about making sure it's all sorted at volume before taking it live, I worked my MP1 into my rig slowly when I bought it way back for just that reason (and I had to save up for a B200s LoL and convert my then Yamaha quad box to stereo).  Very happy when I transitioned to it though.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #8 on: Time Format »

f*ck me!  Those cases are an excellent price.

SC I look on the Thomann website a lot as you know, I have never come across these?  Are these new?

Richard,

I only, mentioned about the MDRT and the compressed hing because I heard that is what they did, was changed that feel as well as enhance.  I asked MJMP to hold me one over anyways.  If I sold a few things on ebay I'd snap one up sooner, just with Christmas n all and axes needing work done I'm shelling out all over the place!!

I have jacks for the rear outputs on my mp1 that fit so I shall replace A when I get a chance.  It may just need cleaned, but I reckon replacing will be the ticket.  Out B works fine so I aint gonna bother replacing it.

Systematic Chaos

• Administrator
  • Blood type: Becks Positive
« Reply #9 on: Time Format »

f*ck me!  Those cases are an excellent price.

SC I look on the Thomann website a lot as you know, I have never come across these?  Are these new?

I bought one in May in order to rack up my 11R and they already had them listed for quite some time then...
Defo qualifies as carry-on/cabin luggage size-/weight-wise
« Last Edit: Time Format by Systematic Chaos »

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #10 on: Time Format »

Aha!

I may have snared a 2u Rack case for way cheaper!!  Just want I am after.

Guys how much ventilation do you give your mp1?  Is its ok to have pre and power on top of one another?  I've seen this done a lot or just two rack pieces together without any spaces but I always wonder isn't there a danger of possibly cooking a unit doing this?

I may live in a cold shithole but in a venue it will get warm with the lights and such.

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #11 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, good question, you can have the poweramp and MP1 on top, I've not heard of any issues.  I put MP2 as top in rack (gives some ventilation above) but I've always run FX underneath and poweramp down the bottom (now in it's own 2RU case). Considerations for me, B200s is really hot on top (as that's what the output transistors are mounted to), MP2 run really hot also (so not keen to make the to close). MP1 isn't as hot as MP2, so not as big an issue and will probably be fine.  But I'd proffer that a Carvin DCM200L (1 RU) in a 2 RU rack with MP1/2 would be fine.

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #12 on: Time Format »

I was going to say Richard, I don't think the MP1 does run that hot.  It does heat up but I wouldn't say it gets burny hot, like a marshall I used to have - then cut out.

So if I stuck my mp one on top with a rack power amp 1u on bottom and had a nice neat 2u case I would be ok?

Well I trust you much more MP1 experienced guys with this.

I am really looking forward to playing the MP1 again this week.  Was making recording backing tracks using MP1 3TM this week.  Using the cheapo $18 dollar pup.  Guess what?  Totally different less thin sound.  Results will be posted.  Also going to show off some harmonist tones I get from the BOSS GT5, but I'll post that on Kims thread about pitch shiftyness  :thumb-up:

rnolan

• Administrator
  • Superhero Member
« Reply #13 on: Time Format »

Hey RG, what you propose will be fine, the MP1s don't run as hot as MP2s, but even then you can put an MP2 on top of a B200s (they get hot on top) and it's fine. Maybe just adjust the top unit up and bottom unit down to get the best separation for air flow. My understanding is they were designed to be deployed just like what you want without any overheating issues.
I was thinking (and almost said) in previous post re $18 PUs that a solution may be "use MP1  >:D ", glad it's working out for you  :thumb-up: Got to get channel A sorted though, once you have ADA MP1/2 in stereo, very hard to go back (only if you have to..)

rabidgerry

• Superhero Member
  • HEAVY METAL
« Reply #14 on: Time Format »

bagged a 2U for real cheap of ebay.  Don't think it wa selling because it was for collection only.  So I said to the guy I'll buy it and send a courier to collect it myself.  It's in pretty much perfect condition.  Seems VERY deep, compared with my 3U case.

£20 it cost - then £7.50 courier  :thumb-up:  cannot be bad to that!!! Bargain!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up